Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Backup camera info 2017 23FB Signature

hi there, just wanted to post the forum the new observation system and part # for the backup camera that comes as an OPT add on / purchase I just called AS and they sent me the literature.
*attached pdf's with information**

the screen is the Voyager WVOS511 featuring WISight technology, it is a 5.6" monitor with a suction cup and 12v dc plug

the backup camera part number is WVCMS130AP

happy airstreaming
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Voyager wvos511_english_owners_manual.pdf (1.35 MB, 165 views)
File Type: pdf Voyager back up camera.pdf (1.04 MB, 212 views)
troubadour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
I've had this in both my Airstreams, highly recommended. No lag, very clear picture, great night vision. I draw on little lines so I know how far objects are in the monitor.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Thanks for posting the info and the pdf files.

Coming weekend we will be taking delivery of our new 2017 27 FB FC. Unfortunately it does not come with a rear camera installed. I just ordered a Voyager WVOS43 Wireless Observation System from Amazon. I don't think the camera system will be here by this Friday I will probably have to install the camera myself - the Airstream PDF file on installation is exactly what I need.

Look like I have to drill a 3/4" hole at a specific location at the back of the trailer for the camera's 12V wiring harness. Through the 3/4" hole I will then have to fish out the 12V wires source so I can connect the camera harness to it. From the picture it appears there is a pair of 12V wires already setup for use as a 12V power source for a camera.

Any tips on how to find the right pair of wires through the hole? Is it hard to find the correct pair of wires?

Thanks in advance.
Journey'81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
The install instructions are interesting. I am assuming these are generic for all newer AS models. Right or wrong?
Anyway I am in the process of a backup camera install if the weather ever warms up. Instead of drilling a new hole I had planned on tapping into what appears to be the same wire described in the install instructions at the middle running light. Got a rubber grommet at Home Dept. Remove the middle running light cover, find the green and white wire and tap, then exit through the red plastic lens. I figure the worst I'll do is need to replace the lens. My camera is the Esicam. I'll attach using 3M tape instead of screws. Thoughts?
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
... I had planned on tapping into what appears to be the same wire described in the install instructions at the middle running light. Got a rubber grommet at Home Dept. Remove the middle running light cover, find the green and white wire and tap, then exit through the red plastic lens. I figure the worst I'll do is need to replace the lens. My camera is the Esicam. I'll attach using 3M tape instead of screws. Thoughts?
Thanks for the information on this camera. From what I was reading on the product description it uses 5 volts, similar to what you use for charging your smart phone. You can not tap directly in to a 12 volt power line. You can buy an inexpensive 12v to 5v adapter for under $20. This would require drilling a hole through the trailer to get to a 12 volt supply such as the reading lights in the rear overhead locker.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
EsiCam Wireless HD Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llittle54 View Post
The install instructions are interesting. I am assuming these are generic for all newer AS models. Right or wrong?
Anyway I am in the process of a backup camera install if the weather ever warms up. Instead of drilling a new hole I had planned on tapping into what appears to be the same wire described in the install instructions at the middle running light. Got a rubber grommet at Home Dept. Remove the middle running light cover, find the green and white wire and tap, then exit through the red plastic lens. I figure the worst I'll do is need to replace the lens. My camera is the Esicam. I'll attach using 3M tape instead of screws. Thoughts?
After reading this post I ordered one of these cameras (and a 12v to 5v) adapter to power it if I decide to permanently mount it, although it does operate on an internal battery for up to six hours.

I inquired and was surprised to learned that you can use two of these cameras - one on your tow vehicle and one on the trailer and switch between them using the iPhone app.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I've used the EsiCam for a few years now and it works great. Easy to connect wirelessly to my phone or pad and makes it from the back of my 22' to the front of my Tacoma without loss. I have it mounted inside the rear window currently. The reflection from the window at night is not ideal and therefore the move to the outside.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Llittle, thanks for the center running light tapping idea. Yes it is a better option than me drilling a hole into a brand new AS. I will be taking delivery of the AS this Saturday and they will be installing my ProPride hitch. I will ask them what is the best way to install the camera. I am OK for them to drill the hole and fish out the wires. Cover the hole temporary with duct tape or silicon caulking, and protect the wires from shorting to the frame. I can then install the camera when it arrives, probably next week.
Journey'81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I may be late to the party, however I did install this camera Voyager WVOS541 on my 23fb 6 months ago. I could not get slack in the wire so I fished a wire into the rear fan and installed a push button switch to activate the camera.

Would of been nice if I could of got slack in wire but was afraid of breaking something.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Op here. We just got our unit set up and love the back up camera.

Couple of tips:
1) read the manual
2) get some rain x to wipe on the lens for rainy days to keep your Vision clear