Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
We use the same grill as Turk, and similar trailer propane hookup. During our 5 years fulltime, the most prominent grill we see is the Weber 1200. There is a reason for this! The system is robust, the fire tube resides below protected grease blocks, the propane assembly is bullet proof, and clean out is easy. What more can be said? The only system easier, is to have someone else cook and bring it to you!
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I have kind of stopped grilling per se and now use the tiny outdoor grill just as a way to cook with a griddle pan. Keeps the grill a lot cleaner, and the griddle pan is non-stick. The pic is from Amazon, but you can pick one up practically anyplace.

Lynn
Old 03-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sacred Heart , Minnesota
Portable charcoal grill

https://www.foxoutfitters.com/quick-...gaArFuEALw_wcB

This is what I use. Very compact, but large cooking area.
Granitefines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
Cobb

We travel extensively in our 30' Airstream and were full time for +6mons while in between homes and travelled durning that time. Outdoor cooking is a must for us and preferred most of the time. We have used a Lodge cast iron Sportsman for several years, and a portable propane before that, but there were two issues: 1) could not roast whole chickens and such items; and 2) the cast iron Sportsman was heavy and took a long time to cool down to put away. We also missed our Big Green Egg and the variety of dishes we can cook with it. We looked a mini eggs but they are heavy, not particularly conducive to extensive travel, and they too take a while to cool down.

Recently purchased a COBB grill. COBB grill. It allows us to roast a whole chicken, pork loin, etc., and veggies can be easily added to the well for cooking with the main dish. Uses a very small amount of charcoal (4-8 cubes) most of the time. Its design allows it to cook easily on a wooden or plastic table surface, which is handy when it is raining or damp out and allows us to cook under the awning with little or no flame. Apparently these are used often on boats. We added the tote bag, direct grilling surface, and larger coal basket (for longer roasting). Easy to start the coals and takes only 15-20 mins or so before ready to cook - smaller amount of coals take less time. It does a great job cooking.

We can also take it to picnic areas when camping near large state and national parks and forests we want to visit. Very lightweight and we stow it either in the pick-up bed or under the dinette. A small bag of charcoal lasts a long time.

We have been using it a little over a year now. It is lightweight, easy to dispose of the coals/ash, and cools quickly. The only issue is cleaning. It is all stainless, but trying to get it "very" clean uses a lot of labor and water. Have recently decided it does not need to be in the "pristine" condition we like to keep our Airstream. Will see how that goes.
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redlands , California
Yes of course.

I have the smallest WSM model as well as a Smoky Joe. Some years ago I went to a local sheet metal fabricator that specializes in making ducting for HVAC systems. I had them make me a box for the smoker as well as the grill. I travel with them boxed up in the back of my pick up truck. When camping in national forests (Yellowstone) you can't keep a used grill outside or even placed in the bed of the truck. The boxes will not prevent an aggressive bear from getting to the grill/smoker. It does satisfy the rangers that check the camps, from making me put the grill inside my trailer at night. The boxes also provide an extra table/flat surface while camping.
sqez435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
Can’t live without charcoal grilling!

We take our Weber smoky joe with us everywhere as full timers. I got addicted to the superior flavour of charcoal grilling and the charcoal + grill fit nicely in the curbside outdoor storage in our 34’ Excella.

It’s so much pleasanter cooking outdoors.
LiamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Check out the Weber “a Go Anywhere “ selections
Compact select either LP or charcoal. Probably have to look on their site. Have had a LP one that I still use 2-3 times a week. Owned it since 1988 parts are replaceable
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #68

1986 34' Limited
SAckets Harbor , New York
Do you carry a grill

We always carry a Cobb grill and also use it at home. I cook everything from a turkey breast to a prime rib. Also has attachments to fry eggs, bake sweetrolls and pizza. All with briquets, charcoal, or wood chunks. Fantastic solution. look it up on line. Great customer service.
R&MZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatawa View Post
We mounted our grill above propane tanks. Locks in place while traveling, swings out for use.
Can you provide more details on your grill mounting system? Did you build it? I can't quite visualize how it's fabricated and how it operates..
Larry_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
BGE Mini-Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
I carry a BGE MiniMax, grilling, smoking, avoids extra heat buildup inside the camper...I will not cook on the campground provided charcoal grills (you never know what was there before). A quality meat on a personal grill is always better than a steakhouse.
smmckean
Sir, you are one dedicated BBQ Chef! That BGE Mini-Max is 90 lbs. of grill - it takes a dedicated BBQ Chef to pack one of those. You have my admiration! As a fellow BGE owner (large on a cart) I’ve often thought about how cool it would be to have it on the road and cook with lump charcoal goodness.

I tip my grill hat to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0D1BFE8-A85E-4699-B87C-0A78F3D6DA87.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	362344  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S. Beauty View Post
Started off carrying one, but decided not to in the end. It was messy, got ants, didn't like buying little propane tanks, didn't like cooking right next to the camper using its tanks, cleanup was a drag, cooking tools take up space...

Maybe I'll reconsider in the summer, but I like stovetop and oven cooking just fine.

I also got rid of my microwave.

I'm a super minimalist... so... there's that!
We got rid of our microwave as well. Had the Airstream Factory Service Center turn the microwave drawer into a pantry drawer.

I appreciate your comments. We use stove top and gas oven and Instant Pot. We're thinking about getting an Air Fryer/toaster oven but none of the ones we've looked at will fit anywhere but the back of the truck. But just was wondering how many full timers take up valuable storage space with a grill. We'd only use one occasionally, so not sure it would be worth it (and the mess and smell). I think most of the folks who responded to my original question are not full time traveling. "Traveling extensively" or "camping often" are not the same thing. If you're full timing you have to take everything you need/want with you. You aren't going home to load, unload, replenish, clean, etc. because you are on the road. All the time. Everything you need/want has to go somewhere. Seasonal clothing. Tools. Emergency stuff. Jerry can. Generator. Fun stuff. Chairs and table. Rug or mat. Trailer and TV fill up fast.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Thumbs up BGE MiniMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapilotda View Post
How do you transport the egg? I’ve been considering buying one as well for the camper. I have eggs at home and love them.
The MiniMax rides in the truck bed next to the tail gate, I carry my tools, etc in a plastic tote. MiniMax has a canvas cover, it sits on the picnic table with the cover for uptown 3 weeks, and has never been bothered; lots of folks stop on their evening walk arounds to chat about it. Once you cook on one, you will wonder why you have used anything else before. Burgers, Chicken, Steaks, Ribs, Pork Butts, Pork Loin, even the Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib); it usually takes 1 beer to get the fire going and 1 beer to cook. I would rather spend $15-20 for quality steaks and do it myself than $35-40 in any steakhouse. The photo has 2 Boneless Ribeyes, 2 NY Strips, and 2 Filet Mignon, all (1-1/4") on the surface of the MiniMax at once. I added a hand full of pecans that I picked up around the campsite for smoking chips. We are on the road 3-4 months across the summer. BTW, I am 72, can handle it by myself, but usually get a neighbor to assist in and out.
Life is Good.
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Full Timing Grill Use

We carry and use a Blackstone Grill outside often. Inside we use an Insta Pot and the convection oven. So far, in 3-years, we have kept the cooking odors outside. 6955
robertwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Oak Harbor , Washington
<https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cabo-gas-grill--10977742?recordNum=1>

Small lightweight, comes in a bag. I use a 3 Gallon Aluminum propane cylinder...
theOrca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:55 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOrca View Post
<https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cabo-gas-grill--10977742?recordNum=1>

Small lightweight, comes in a bag. I use a 3 Gallon Aluminum propane cylinder...
I saw a guy on the Olympic Peninsula that had one of these mounted on a swing out bracket on the back of his RV. Nice looking grill. How does it cook?

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #76

1986 34' Limited
SAckets Harbor , New York
We also have used the Canadian made “Woodflame Grill” . It is unique and burns briquets or wood. It has a fan underneath the chamber that holds the wood. The fan runs on batteries. The fan causes the wood to catch very quickly and you can be ready to grill in 5 minutes. The fan also allows you to adjust the temperature. When you’re done cooking the fuel burns into a very small amount of ash. The grill surface is 12x12 inches. It comes with a 14x14x14 inch canvas bag.
R&MZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #77
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
external grill mounting

have had a few requests on how I installed a grill to the front of out 1965 Tradewind. some of the pieces are commercial some of them I fabricated. I will the process that I went through. What you see is the final product, it took some time to get a simple system with fewer moving parts.

Name:	base 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	362683 This pic shows the base of the ram mount system and the fasteners. The fasteners inboard are 5/16 bolts drilled and taped to the frame. The out board bolts are 5/16 drilled through the mount and an angle piece also drilled and taped into the frame. As shown in second pic. One note of caution use a drill stop when drilling into the Frame as your pig tail that connects to your tow vehicle may be passing through there.

Name:	base 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	362684
The sliding tube sections are from ram mounts they originally had a hand wheel and locking assy to hold upper tube at any level. I removed them because I only need two settings either stowage or ready to use. I used a piece of 1x2 square tubing with the ends welded shut. I first had a articulating arm that raised to BBQ to high.

Name:	IMG_5527.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	362688

Name:	IMG_5531.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	362689
First pic is of the base of the BBQ attachment and the second is how the BBQ stows as you drive down the road. I manufactured the box that the unit sets on my Honda 2000 stows under that box.
I am glad to answer any questions you may have. There are many ways to construct things so what ever works best for you. Hope this helps Dave

Name:	IMG_5528.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	362690

Name:	IMG_5533.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	362691
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
grilled hamburger patties last night at Foster Residence Campground. Deeeelicous. Grilled in the NexGrill (from Costco).

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I full time and carry a slightly modified Weber Jumbo Joe 18" travel grill. I added the sifter mechanism from a full size 18" Weber which kinda fits and is better than nothing.

Doesn't weigh much and suits me well.

I also carry a hard copy of Meathead (cookbook), one of the few physical books of mine I couldn't leave behind.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #80

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Late to the convo, but we chose the Camp Chef Tailgater combo...2 burners, griddle for cooking breakfast (mmmm...bacon!) and grill box. Camp Chef offers plenty of options and their burners put out some serious heat. Great discount for military/veterans and also for first responders, I think. Bought an extension hose to use the AS's propane tanks safely removed from the important bits and downwind no matter which way the wind blows. Cheers!
ChainStream is offline   Reply With Quote