Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
What do you carry in your truck and how do you organize them?

Help, my truck bed is a mess. Any and all tips on what you carry in your truck and how you keep it organized such as types of containers. It seems that what is needed first is always in the far back of the truck. I know someone out there has a plan. Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Systematic packing

Right. We're still learning how to do it but we have a plan. Before leaving I put everything I need in the front of the bed and everything I don't need in the back. Upon arrival I change everything from front to back. Before leaving I change everything back again. It works every time but it does take planning.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The way I figure it is people are to busy admiring the airstream to even look in the back of the truck. Ha Ha. On my big trips I will be gone for about 5 weeks. I have learned to weed out many things. I carry my tools coolers, generator, spare tire and an extra pair of steps I made (Dogs are old and struggle).

Brian
Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We travel pretty light. Bicycles, generator, gas can, all with chain and lock. Sewer Solution hose/connector, chocks, that's about it, good for six months.

No topper makes a more usable bed I think, especially at home. The modern extended cab pickups certainly have protected space inside for stuff.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Milk Cartons

We have a row of milk cartons that really helps us organize. Easiest to grab is the one that contains coiled hose and power cables so we can make or break camp quickly. Keeping like stuff together allows to grab and root through one square foot of stuff rather than many.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not sure if your truck bed is open or closed? We have a Leer cap, put on specifically so we can maximize use of the truck for storage to keep teh AS less cluttered.

It is still tough to keep the truck bed looking tidy though, but to help, I carry a number of large rubbermade boxes in there, each with duct tape labels to make things easier to find. we put extra boots and shoes on one, bicycle gear in another, and a couple of boxed for misc. stuff. As well, we put garden chairs, drinking water, soft drinks, beer, folding picnic table, a couple of toolboxes, folding ladder, gennie, gas, cleaning supplies, toys such as metal detector, etc. etc.

It is still a bit of a mess and can be a hassle if I need to climb over everything to get at some buried item. but really does help us to keep the trailer tidy.

Equally, since just the two of us travel, we load up the back of the crew cab with a couple more rubbermade boxes of extra food supplies as well as camera bags, computer stuff and the like.

Just can't seem to get the hang of traveling light!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Truck Bed

This is the way I do it. A place for everything and everything in its place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	141344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	141345  

Name:	IMG_3144.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	141346  
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We have a little different system.....

Rule #1... If you think of it, you pack it.

That way when the question is asked you have the answer.

If the answer is "no" it better be there when needed.

Rule #2... See rule #1

Think about it.

Bob
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
My wife believes that if there is room, we can take it. I told her it is weight NOT volume as to what we can take. I told her that we would have EVERYTHING weighed, AS, TV, eqpt and supplies and including her. That changed her way of thinking.
Now it is easier to get organized and we carry less.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We use a combination of milk crates and plastic bins with covers. The milk crates are good to hold 'stuff' that doesn't need too much protection from the weather, (dog chains, rope, tarps, etc. The can also serve as 'camp chairs' if needed. The plastic bins are for stuff we want protected from the elements. These are marked/labeled. These can either stay in the truck (open bed) or stacked along the trailer side. At home these bins get cleaned, restocked if needed, and stored on shelves in the garage ready for the next trip.

A spare milk crate also allows us to sort out anything recyclable.

If you have pets, we also clean and reuse kitty litter cans to store dog food, easy to store and keep sealed. We also use the kitty litter cans to store charcoal briquets. These also can be stacked. Nope the cats stay home

It's just me and the wife (and either 2 or 3 dogs)who travel so we know what we usually need. We try to keep everything we really need in the trailer between trips (makes it easy to hook up and go).

For now, the available space in the truck bed is dictated by the number of dog kennels we have. These also help keep us focused on what do we really need.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We have a cap on the truck and the bed is always full.
In the past we experienced the problem of it always in the back of the truck and you can't reach it.. I put a hook on the end of a long shovel handle and it was very handy for snagging things like lawn chairs.
When I replaced the cap I got one with lift up side windows and we can pretty well reach everything now
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our TV is a convertible. I sometimes suggest to myself that perhaps I should use a pick-up. Soon as that thought creeps into my head I realize that the more carry space means more stuff. We do have to place some 'important' stuff in the Airstream. So I bought 2 plastic storage boxes about 2' x 4' with a hinged cover and has a pair of wheels on one end. That makes them easy to roll like a wheel barrow. They wheel easily to quickly place into the coach then remove from the coach and rolls nicely under the coach. It sorta like having a basement.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I use a combo of old plastic milk crates and plastic buckets. Cords and hoses go into buckets.I have a short handled sledgehammer,jack handle/winch bar for the WD hitch,jumper cables,36inch breakerbar,little giant ladder,2 spares,2 Honda genni's,charcoal, charcoal grill (small wheeled model) Lots of blocking for leveling.
Full tool box.I know there is alot I have forgotten.Im pretty much prepared for anything. There is no rime or reason to the way stuff is loaded.If I need it,its always up front anyway,LOL My cap has no side windows,so OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND,I always say.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
What Roger said. Only thing I do differently is (having only a hard tonneau cover) I put in two bed dividers made out of 2x12. At the very front go shovel, high lift jack, t-lugnut wrench, 1 13/16 open end wrench for hitch ball, jumper cables, axe, 20 ton hyrdraulic jack, come-along.

Middle (largest) section holds tool box, propane tank for gas grill and/or generator, 2400 watt generator, hoses and tow ropes and electrical cords in buckets, pie irons.

Rear section holds leveling blocks, combination snap-up tool for the hitch / hdraulic jack pump handle, spare hitch ball, homemade "socket tool" for the coach's stabil. jacks, hitch lube, extra trailer bearings and grease.

Fore/aft on top of the bed dividers ride flag poles and fishing rod cases. Sometimes I add a bicycle or two (though I usually put a folding Dahon in the back seat of the cab) and maybe a case of extra clothes.

I HATE emptying it out! Too much stuff? Maybe, but I've used it all on at least one occasion.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When I bought the truck it had Leer topper and factory plastic bedliner installed. With Rubbermaid totes or other, it's a matter of sliding them around. Or stacking. I use a load lock bar to keep things secured underway.

I cannot emphasize enough how easy this is due to being able to slide heavy totes around, not at all like spray-on liners.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
My solution is empty the house into the truck and then your ready to go camping for the weekend or at least thats my wife's idea of it and you know who is always right...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I have an F150 with Snugtop. The answer to accessibility is Bedslide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20111001_103159.png
Views:	207
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	141352   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111001_103229.png
Views:	256
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	141353  

Name:	ForumRunner_20111001_103252.png
Views:	223
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	141354  

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Gotta watch impact of topper, bedslide, or storage compartments on payload, and what's left for trailer tongue weight and gear.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
John, The milk cartons are a great idea. I saw some at Wall Mart the other day but did not make the connection. They sounds like a perfect fit for hose and extension cords and the best part is the ones I saw only cost $3.00. Isn’t this a great outlet for super ideas?
CU, AP
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Brian, we have a Leer top as well. I really like the idea of the Rubbermaid boxes for larger things. You have got this thing down to a science. Thanks for your input.
CU, down the road, AP