Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Shower leaking

Just when everything seems to be working right.....it starts leaking. I had a slow drain and put draino in it to clear the clog...it worked...almost to good...now I got a leak under the motorhome. Everything is wet under the Airstream for now so have not looked under it yet.

Anyone who has dealt with a leaking shower drain, please reach out. I suspect its the coupler or pipe that connects it to the gray water tank. There is an elbo someplace....digging through my owners manual tonight.

Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I posted this in a similar question:

I had a recurring leak in the shower drain of my previous MH. The shower had a brass fitting with threads and the drain connected with ABS pipe which ran horizontally. It always cracked at the junction. As I drove the MH flexed enough to tug on the pipe and eventually crack.
Finally I made a flexible connection between the brass drain fitting and the ABS drain pipe using a common rubber joint.
The good news was the shower had an access panel under the shower so I could lay on the floor and see the drain pipe.
NO MORE CRACKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black-fernco-pvc-fittings-p1056-22-64_1000.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	364519  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Agree, AS did a lot of sub par plumbing decisions when constructing these MHs. Too many hard junctions and not enough flex on the ABS drain lines. Mine has a cracked drain line just as it enters the gray holding tank. Both the shower and the kitchen sink feed into it so I have a small leak every time I use them. Not an easy fix either as dropping the gray tank looks to be a little difficult since it's fed at two ends. Since it's the gray tank I'm not crazy concerned so I'm going to try to wrap the pipe at the crack with silicone tape or use expanding foam to seal it up. It's a tight fit since the pipe is cracked between the frame and the holding tank.

Good luck with yours and keep us informed on how the fix goes.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
A few months ago, I had some work done on my tailer that involved the shower pan. The next time we used the shower, it was "raining" out of my belly pan and rear bumper. I took it back to the service center so they could fix their damage...but they could find nothing wrong and could not mimic the leak.

We've been out a few times since then, and my shower doesn't leak at all. The only thing we can think is I-10 through Louisiana and east Texas somehow rattled whatever was loose back into place. I'm not completely happy with this solution, but it seems to be working--especially since the repair tech ran a few hundred gallons through the shower and found no water anywhere except in the grey tank.

I guess I won't complain about the rough condition of I-10 any more!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote