Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
Catawba , Virginia
Unhappy BAD BUS - No A/C Blower Fan and Tranny Failure

So I completed some major repairs from radiator back to timing cover. Weeks of work. Hope i don't have to do that again anytime soon. Anyway the dash A/C-Heater blower was working prior, now nothing. The high/low speed switch is not working. Is there a relay on the firewall? What does it look like and is there one of those square plug in (Bosch type) relays under the dash. This is on a 1991 LY 36 and is one of the ACME add on systems. I can hear the fan barely running so I suspect a relay somewhere must be the culprit. Any Ideas or past experiences to share?

Talk about bad luck, I decided to change the transmission fluid Saturday as it was showing some obvious color change and smell @ 75K, Low and behold after about 7 miles down the road it felt like the transmission was slipping or I could not decide if it was the fan clutch making all the noise. After 10 miles it became clear that something was amiss. I barely made it back into my drive way before it completely failed and I had to use a tow strap around a tree to pull it back far enough to not block the driveway. I guess the best place to break down is in your own driveway rather than the side of a mountain where you can't pull off. So I guess its going to be more struggling to wrestle this transmission (4L80EHD) and get that problem fixed.

A very tired and scratched up Road Dawg!
Road Dawg 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You did recheck the transmission oil level after running it?

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #3

2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
buckhead , Georgia
2000 39' land yacht xl under consideration

hello,
i would appreciate input on the above diesel motor home. my wife and i are wanting to upgrade to a diesel motor home and i know very little about a airstream land yacht. like most of you, i do not want to purchase a motor home with a mfg.history of issues and related problems so any and all input would be appreciated.
the coach in question appears to be in very good conditon inside and out. 330hp cat with 82,000 miles. I know to check basic concerns such as tires, batteries, leaks and ect but really need to know general problems areas to check before making a purchase.

tks in advance,
jr
jrbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
On the AC. Is the compressor engaged and if so is the suction line, the larger one at the compressor, cold. If this is the case than the problem is limited to the fan. If the compressor is not engaged than it could be the low limit switch, lose of freon, or no power to that circuit.

The fan has a resister pack that controls the different speeds. If you can get to the fan case remove the connection and check for voltage on each connection. If you have voltage at one connection you should be able to switch that voltage to another connection by moving the control switch to a different speed. No voltage on any check the fuse.

If the fluid level is still up in the transmission you may have kicked up some dirt during the change and that is now in the valve body. This is a common problem with power flushing a transmission and one dealer love because it returns a several thousand dollar job.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
Catawba , Virginia
Hey jr.

Just check everything you can think of. A diesel pusher is going to be upgraded way beyond what mine is. I bought mine as a project and haven't decided if it's a labor of love or an exercise in futility. Everytime I fix one thing I find other things. Just take your time and maybe go back a few times to look at the one you are thinking about. You might find potential issues a 2nd or 3rd time that you missed earlier.. There should be plenty of forums that will address any problems with the vehicle you want to purchase so just do a little research and again don't get in a hurry. If it doesn't feel right just wait, another will come along. Mine was a pretty good deal but I really wish I had waited and picked up something smaller. Didn't realize how big 36 ft is until it was in my driveway. Glad I don't live in the city or have close neighbors that grumble about it. RD

The climate control selector was bad on mine, warped from power overload. I got replacements from Acme Air Parts and should have it going again soon. The transmission is toast though and will require a rebuild. Just getting the beast out of the woods for a tow truck to get it is the next challenge.
Road Dawg 36 is offline   Reply With Quote