Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #21
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Same problem here. My dealer bayareaairstream fixed the door in about 5 minutes. Still takes a good push to close it but no longer have to slam in 3 or 4 times to close. Much easier now to close from the inside. Both locks now also work.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you think Airstream is busy servicing production over sites. Go to Redbay, AL and look at Tifton Motorhomes. They have a hundred service bays and they are always full. Allegro is top of the line just like Airstream. All premium builders, who build by hand have human QC problems. If you could build it by robot then the machine could be fine tuned better. But, humans, I doubt we will ever see it. I still like my hand made Airstream, even after 10 seasons , and as many trips to Jackson Center. I too, love to visit the people at the factory. They are top notch.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #23
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Is there a link to the you tube video that was mentioned?
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
Door Closing Problems

I have a 75th Anniversary 19' Bambi I bought used 2 years ago, and the door is a pain. We have to slam it to close, and then it's very tight to pull the handle to unlatch it. Then we had a very close call when we discovered that the internal lock handle was moving on it's own during the door closing process. The door was locked from the inside and the key didn't have the strength to unlock it with the tension on the whole mechanism. I was lucky and got it open and now I have the internal lock handle taped in place so it can't slide on it's own and we only lock it with the dead bolt. I keep meaning to take it to the local dealer which is 1 1/2 hours away. I'll look for the video to adjust everything and see if I can do it myself.
Regards,
Rye
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #25

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Point Reyes Station , California
I have a 2013 and have always had to slam the door. Got back from a trip and had a really hard time opening the main door latch. Luckily it finally opened but I don't want to close it until I figure out what is wrong with the latch. I see from earlier posts that there is a video for adjusting the the lock. Where is this video posted?
Commander15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #26

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Point Reyes Station , California
I found a video for adjusting the door. Our door appears to be aligned okay. As the fellow in the video suggested, I applied a liberal amount of graphite to the working mechanism of the main lock.It performed a miracle and now opens easily.
Commander15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Has any one else had problems with the hard time of being able to close or open their doors because of improper adjustment/installed at the factory. When I saw our demo person slam the door shut before we left when picking up our trailer , I thought wow they really do make them air tight ..stupid me. When back home after studying the trailer door more closely & with my wife not being able to properly close or open the door with out using hurricane wind strength its back to the dealer. My visual inspection tells me they did not adjust or put the door on properly at the factory. My salesman said over the phone all airstreams doors slam shut that way ... no they do not , in fact Airstream online says if you have to slam instead of a firm push somethings wrong. Opinions are welcome.
I went back to my dealer today to pick up our trailer . The door is adjusted, no more slamming. Now just a firm push or pull to close it. Good job I was thinking as I went to the back of the trailer to check my running lights for the 30 min drive home. My mood was pretty positive, thinking I worried about nothing until ...... I saw a 1/2" x 3 " scrape/dent on the middle panel just below the license plate. I could not believe my eyes . It was not there when I dropped it off 4 days earlier I told the Service Manager as he took some pictures. I told him you can check with your Airstream trailer tech, he & I both did a walk around the day I dropped it off. As the service manager ran his fingers over the area in question saying "yep the whole panel needs to come off /replaced " , I will get back to you after I talk to my tech, he's not in today. I will let you know tomorrow what we decide. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!, now I have to deal with this.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I stopped into that dealer, while up in Saratoga on business. There was not much inventory, tney were away at an RV show. i hope you get your panel fixed.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:46 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Thanks. I have had a whole night to think about it. Even if they do agree to fix it in house, I am afraid it will end up being a worse nightmare. Right now its just a dent with no puncture. At this point I do not have much faith. Will it match/look like the others panel when they are done ?. How about sealing/rivet tightness , will I be going from having a cosmetic issue for something even worse ? .
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I decided to adjust my door myself. Wasn't difficult and it now works like a charm.
How? Did you follow a video? I have a 22FB Bambi & I think door needs adjusting also.

I just bought mine from an owner not a dealer. Nearest dealer is 4 hours away.
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Here's the video:
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:59 AM   #32

2015 16' Sport
Ojai , California
I am having the same issue with my 2015 Bambi 16’. At 71 with arthritis in my hands it’s a real challenge opening and closing my door. I wish their was locksmiths that drove out to fix these issues instead of taking the airstream in.
Movino777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Menifee , California
Same with our 2020 22FB. Door is quite hard to close especially from the inside. We usually don't bother getting it completely latched from inside because it takes several loud slams, and don't mind the extra ventilation in any case. We will look at adjustment. Must do it ourselves because the selling dealer, we have found, unfortunately, is incompetent.
KrustyKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
I’m sure many of these cases require significant adjustment, but for us, we found the post on the doorframe that the main lock knuckles close around was loose. I tightened it by hand, and our door now closes fine. Maybe that was in the video...
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #35
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Another thing to make sure of is if your AS is level - front to back, side to side, as this can make opening and closing the door a little harder than usual. We found this out on one of our last trips.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote