Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Denver , Colorado
Replace copper lines under my Trade Wind?

I have a 1972 Trade Wind and had to drop my belly pan to remove my fresh water tank. Because it was in the way and I think I damaged it I had to cut my coper line that runs to the front of the trailer and hooks to my regulator. My regulator is old as dirt so I will already be replacing it.

My question is this:

1. Should I replace it with copper again or use the rubber type hosing like what will go from my regulator to my LP tanks?

2. The copper gas lines that go from my Axel going back I will probably leave alone as they seem to be OK, or should I redo them all, or at least replace them all to the point they run up into the interior on the coach?

Thank you,
Cody
coairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I would stick with copper lines, following the same route as the old ones. Rubber lines are tough to make ends for and tend to chafe, which is bad for a spot where you cant make a visual inspection. Resist the temptaton to use compression fittings. You will need to make double flair fittings on each end of the new tube to stay up to code and stand up to the wiggling, jiggling and vibrations they are subject to.
A decent double compression tool can be bought at an autoparts store for less than $40, its the same joints used for stainles brake lines and what not. It will require some practice if your not familiar, so make sure you buy extra tube

Chances are the remaining lines are fine, I only had 1 fail on my trailer which is 10 years older and only used single compression joints.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Warning Will Robinson! Please replace/repair all your under-belly lines with the same ID and guage as the original. There are several reasons for the copper lines; you will notice that the ID changes of each line as it gets towards the appliance it will feed. The exposure to road debris, rally fields, and anything else demands a gas line to be durable which copper is. Also, the rigid copper lines stay put once attached properly without any sag. So yes, replace with new copper and replace all fittings and do not use teflon tape, use putty.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I agree that you should replace all the lines. You can use flexible copper it's allot easier to bend over the axle. Just secure the line every two feet or so and you won't have any sag problem. Flexible line will harden over time. I also used a section of old hose to protect the line where it is bent over the axle. I used Sof-set for added leak protection. I did run rubber lines to the appliances. I attached them to the supply lines with a 90 degree elbow so the rubber line aren't exposed to any road or outside conditions.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote