Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Wake Forest , North Carolina
Propane gauge install

The safari se I just purchased does not have a propane monitor so I purchased one of those in-line gages. However, there is not enough room to install inside the tank cover. I purchased a 5' 'propane hose assembly' off the shelf to help the situation but the connections are all wrong. I cannot seem to find anything that would help -like an elbow or a hose extension with the correct fittings. I cannot turn the tanks around because I would then have to cut the hoses already there and I am trying to avoid that. Anyone know where I can get a connector to do the job easily???
hfc7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The add in the lines guages,, don`t tell you much ,they help tell if you have a leak,or your tank is really about empty.Propane is liquid,so it keeps expanding as gas and keeps the pressure pretty consistant ,until the tank is almost empty.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
I'll second that. I picked up a guage from brookstone i think. Couldnt figure how to put it on my trailer so use it on the grill. And yeah, its pretty much useless. I wish there was a better way but use it until not working so good lift, shake, um, yeah feels pretty empty.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfc7713 View Post
The safari se I just purchased does not have a propane monitor so I purchased one of those in-line gages. However, there is not enough room to install inside the tank cover. I purchased a 5' 'propane hose assembly' off the shelf to help the situation but the connections are all wrong. I cannot seem to find anything that would help -like an elbow or a hose extension with the correct fittings. I cannot turn the tanks around because I would then have to cut the hoses already there and I am trying to avoid that. Anyone know where I can get a connector to do the job easily???
An Inline gauge is measuring pressure which will remain constant after the regulator until the tank can no longer provide a pressure higher than the output pressure. An auto changeover regulator would be a better choise if you don't already have one. The only real way to measure propane level is to get a tank with a liquid level guage.
Vertical Aluminum Propane Tanks

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Yes, I realize they are not that good, but I just wanted to get a heads up when I got really low on propane rather than have to remove the cover, loosen the tank and shake. So this 'auto changeover regulator' simply replaces the standard regulator installed and I would keep my eye on the position so I would know when the second tank is starting to be used?????
Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Yes, I realize they are not that good, but I just wanted to get a heads up when I got really low on propane rather than have to remove the cover, loosen the tank and shake. So this 'auto changeover regulator' simply replaces the standard regulator installed and I would keep my eye on the position so I would know when the second tank is starting to be used?????
The auto changeover regulator replaces the standard regulator. You select a primary tank and leave both valves on. When the primary tank gets "empty" it will changeover to the secondary tank. The indicator will change from green to green/red when both tanks are empty the indicator will be red.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
The auto changeover regulator replaces the standard regulator. You select a primary tank and leave both valves on. When the primary tank gets "empty" it will changeover to the secondary tank. The indicator will change from green to green/red when both tanks are empty the indicator will be red.
Hi, this is what my trailer came with [auto changeover] and your's should have too. When the indicator goes to red, the first tank is empty; Then it starts using the other tank. I have never used up both tanks. I usually have one tank filled when I get home. Only once have I had a tank filled while on the road.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
The why question comes to mind...

Quote:
Given that you have two propane tanks on your trailer (I could be wrong about this but I have yet to see an Airstream trailer with only one tank) I cannot help but wonder why you feel the need?

Our 30' Classic came with gauges on the tanks and a monitor inside the trailer.

When the monitor inside the trailer starts to flash indicating that the propane is "dangerously" low, I open the tank cover and look at the gauge. Usually it is between 1/4 and empty.

When the gauge on the tank reads the big "E" I know I am now getting low and only have about two to three weeks of propane left when we are running the furnace in the mornings in the winter to warm things up and cooking two meals a day on the stove. Oh ya, SWMBO likes to bake her bread rather than buy the stuff that passes for bread in the stores, so the oven gets used for this at least once a week.

Did I mention that our Airstream is our home? Ya, we live in this beastie and I find the propane gauges to be the biggest waste of money for the benefit. So, save yourself some money and switch from the empty tank to the full tank when the pilot on the stove goes out.

You then have about two to three months to refill the empty bottle if you use the stove for two meals a day and run the heater in the morning and bake bread once a week.

Of course, YMMV.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
You guys are the best....thank you so much for all the advice. I just looked inside my tank cover and I think the auto changeover regulator might be the one already installed. I just wasn't told that by the dealer when I purchased it. I knew nothing about them at all. It is difficult to see any colors on it but I can just make out a green line and a red one. So this probably means that one tank was already empty when I bought the trailer used. I love this forum.............
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida

When weighing a tank is inconvenient you can determine the level of the liquid propane by pouring warm water over the tank. Wait a few seconds and run your hand down the side. Where you feel a temperature change from warm to cool is also the level of liquid propane. You can often see a condensation line also.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
My tank usually runs out in the middle of a shower,then I get to go out switch tanks,relight pilot,wait a few min.,then finish shower,no problem.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Not sure if anyone is checking this thread anymore but I have an update. I contacted the dealer about this and he ssid I do NOT have an auto changeover regulator but when I look in the book that came with the trailer it shows 2 types of regulators sold with this model. The one on the trailer looks identical to the auto changeover one in the book. I am confused. I will just wait and see if it in fact does switch over itself and if not - I'll just do it myself....there - easy fix!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't have a real good picture of my auto change over propane regulator, but this might help. Click to enlarge picture for better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 438 (Large).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	83836  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Thank you Robertsunrus......YES mine is exactly the same as this one!! So it IS automatic......I appreciate the picture help......

Tags
propane