Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bull Shoals , Arkansas
Copper lines

Hello; I would like to know how to repair frozen water lines, I coupling won't fit over the copper because it's swollen. I don't like the hose/clamp route, I don't trust. it.
Bud 1972 Safari.
buda-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottenot View Post
Hello; I would like to know how to repair frozen water lines, I coupling won't fit over the copper because it's swollen. I don't like the hose/clamp route, I don't trust. it.
Bud 1972 Safari.
Cut back to where the lines are the correct size, or pull them out and replace with PEX. There is really no way to repair a swollen copper line.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
We had broken pipes everywere, we just replace everything with pex. Old copper is just that old copper. You might find as some here have that the o.d. is different on the old pipe compared to what is available today. More problems.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Martinsville , Indiana
I too had same problem. Called a plumber and I told him to put a coupler on it but when he saw that (1) the pipes were green(corrosion) (2) the 1/2 inch copper swelled up then a coupler could not applied he basically was going to say goodbye. I'm ripping all of it out now and putting in all new. Yes, plex. But I can't do the plex because I don't have the tool and I don't want any problems in the out years. Get 'er done now; and right. At least I can do the ripping and save on some expense.
I have a picture of the green pipe.
ambassadorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Cutting and replacing with copper is an easy and permanent fix.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You can get the tool at Home Depot for $54. I did... Or rental shops will rent them out..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bull Shoals , Arkansas
Copper lines

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will do the PEX
Bud 1972 23' Safari.
buda-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Purchase a plumber's swage (sp?) from a hardware store and enlarge the pipe which is swollen until the replacement copper will fit inside of it. (I had to do this in numerous places.) You'll notice from the picture graduated diameters on the swage.

Sweating copper is not difficult provided you clean the joints very well with emory cloth or wire brush (battery terminal brush works well). Apply flux to both fittings and join together, heat with torch till cherry red, touch the end of the solder to the joint and watch it get sucked into the gap. It is a skill set which can be re-used over and over again.

A propane torch, solder, flux, a copper cutting wheel, and the proper fittings, replacement copper and a little patience are all you need. Maybe a $25 investment, and you don't have to return a thing.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Cherry red is too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
Purchase a plumber's swage (sp?) from a hardware store and enlarge the pipe which is swollen until the replacement copper will fit inside of it. (I had to do this in numerous places.) You'll notice from the picture graduated diameters on the swage.

Sweating copper is not difficult provided you clean the joints very well with emory cloth or wire brush (battery terminal brush works well). Apply flux to both fittings and join together, heat with torch till cherry red, touch the end of the solder to the joint and watch it get sucked into the gap. It is a skill set which can be re-used over and over again.

A propane torch, solder, flux, a copper cutting wheel, and the proper fittings, replacement copper and a little patience are all you need. Maybe a $25 investment, and you don't have to return a thing.
If you are getting your copper cherry red you are burning up your flux,it doesn`t need to be near that hot,just hot enough to melt the solder.If you want to get it red hot then skip the flux and use silver solder.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I 'inherited' a number of split copper pipes in our rade Wind 3 years ago.. For quick fixes I cut the copper at the split and slipped a reinforced plastic tubing connector and clamp it in place. I am slowly replacing all of the copper with PEX begining with the damaged pipe. The quick fix keeps us traveling but I reguarly check the 'fixes' that are left. Pex with Shark Bite connectors are the way to go.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Lagrange , Kentucky
Sil-fos (hard Solder) does the trick for me in a pinch. Mapp gas is required as it has a higher melting point however, sil-fos has the strength to cover the split without fear of leaking. External flux is not required as each stick has its own. This is not for confined places as the copper has to get "almost" cherry red. Also, if you have a soft solder joint close by, you have an opportunity to disrupt it as well...wrap a wet rag around it to act as a heat sink.
This type of repair is permenant and "almost" fool-proof and buys time before you change out to PEX.
Good-luck
grtwhthuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
If you are getting your copper cherry red you are burning up your flux,it doesn`t need to be near that hot,just hot enough to melt the solder.If you want to get it red hot then skip the flux and use silver solder.Dave
Okay, bad use of terms. I do only get it hot enough till the solder melts.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
another option

One other option after the swollen pipe has been cut out is to rent or purchase a flaring tool. Unless the pipe is hugely swollen, it should not be a problem to create a decent flare.

You can then flare the cut ends and put in a couple unions to install a new piece of pipe. Unions for copper pipe may not be available at your local big box store (Lowes, etc) but a plumbing supply place should be able to get them.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I had problems with the shark bite connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I 'inherited' a number of split copper pipes in our rade Wind 3 years ago.. For quick fixes I cut the copper at the split and slipped a reinforced plastic tubing connector and clamp it in place. I am slowly replacing all of the copper with PEX begining with the damaged pipe. The quick fix keeps us traveling but I reguarly check the 'fixes' that are left. Pex with Shark Bite connectors are the way to go.
Neil.
My sharkbite repair job in my house leaked. I am thinking that the sharkbite relies on water pressure ( I don't always have water pressure in my trailer )to keep a tight fit. But I don't know.
Also I think that the sharkbite couplers need to be secured and in a very strait line. I don't know that I fully trust the shark bite sustem. My city based plumbing supply expert said that he won't recommend them, stating that they are only widely used in the country where water pressure is much lower than in the city. Please educate me if you can. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't think I would recommend PEX for a home install. Too much water pressure. It is perfect in an RV when coupled with a water pressure regulator. I, too, tore out the swollen copper and put in PEX although I didn't use the SharkBite fittings. I just used the regular fittings that are installed by hand with a final twist with a pliers. I had one small leak in the shower cold water feed and with another 1/2 twist on the fitting, no more leaks. This was 8 years ago and countless miles. I would do it again and probably will on another vintage trailer one day.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My only frustration with Shark Bite is that they are pricey. For 'accessible' connections I use the 'twist' connections. Around my water heater the working space is limited to just using one hand. Shark Bite saved me from removing cabinets.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I don't think I would recommend PEX for a home install. Too much water pressure. It is perfect in an RV when coupled with a water pressure regulator. I, too, tore out the swollen copper and put in PEX although I didn't use the SharkBite fittings. I just used the regular fittings that are installed by hand with a final twist with a pliers. I had one small leak in the shower cold water feed and with another 1/2 twist on the fitting, no more leaks. This was 8 years ago and countless miles. I would do it again and probably will on another vintage trailer one day.

Brad
FF
Both of our sons have built new homes within the last 2 years and it was pex all the way by two different bulders. Even the baseboard hot water heat is put together with pex. Me thinks it's the way of the future. Does A really nice job too.

Sometimes it's hard to teach us old dogs new tricks, but sometimes new is better.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Pex 150#

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post

Brad
FF
When we do a new job,especially above the 2nd floor,the system is pressurized to 150# before we ever introduce water into the system.The pressure regulators on my Overlanders were thrown away as soon as I went to pex.I really don`t think I will find a water service exceeding that pressure.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We ripped out all the copper and replaced it with color-coded PEX. Hard part was planning the installation so that there was room for the PEX tool to operate where the last connector had to be. Most of it was laid out and assembled elsewhere, then put in place and the last connections made. We used the swaged copper ring fittings, because we feared that vibration on the road would loosen shark-bite or the other compression-type fittings.

So far, we're happy with the system. When restoration is complete and we're on the road, we'll have the final answer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Europe has be using stuff like pex for years. Sometimes the US is so far behind. Take cell phones for instance.. ATT&T is the only company using simcards and that is limited.
DARK AGES>>>>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote