Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

2016 30' International
Hampstead , North Carolina
Propane Leak

Greetings. I have searched a number of existing threads on this topic and would like a little clarification please. Hopefully my picture posted correctly.

I have detected a very small propane leak. No real sound or smell, but my soapy water test shows bubbles from the screw on connector end of the hose. It seems to be pretty straightforward to replace the pigtail. Can anyone look at this pic and tell me whether this hose is the inverse flair type or the standard thread type?

If this is an inverse flair, do I use any yellow Teflon tape or pipe dope?

Again, if you can see the pic, there is some kind of red sealer on the end of the hose that connects to the controller. What is this and where can I get it?

Thanks for your assistance.

Edward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Pigtail.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	329193  
thegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Just search Amazon if you don't like these.

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pig...+pigtail&psc=1
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

2016 30' International
Propane Leak

Thank you. My existing pigtails seem to be 10 inches long. I read in another thread that it was difficult for a 12 inch pigtail to fit in the cabinet without a very sharp bend in the hose. Is this correct?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I just replaced mine a few days ago for the exact same leak. Mine were MPT, not inverted flair. My regulator is a Marshall, without the inverted flare adapters.

The only way to know for sure is if you remove the hose, it should be easy to tell which is needed.

I think MPT thread goes into the regulator. If inverted flare was needed, there would be a brass adapter screwed into the regulator, then the pigtail into the adapter.

I would not use yellow tape. I prefer paste. Either way the package should say "for Natural Gas". I like Rectorseal #5

I used these>
https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-25...09119845&psc=1
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...73-15-MBS.html
MB Sturgis products are "Made in USA"
Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

2016 30' International
Propane Leak

Thanks, Alan. Did you purchase the 15" hoses? Were your existing hoses 10"? How was the fit in the propane enclosure?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I just replaced our propane pigtails with the 12" Sturgis version of A W Warn's link. I also purchased them from eTrailer.

We had 12" hoses before, so replaced them with the same length. Only one was leaking, but it seemed prudent to replace both.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegypsy View Post
Thanks, Alan. Did you purchase the 15" hoses? Were your existing hoses 10"? How was the fit in the propane enclosure?
I did purchase the 15" hoses. The original hoses on my Excella were 18" according to the manual, but those I replaced were 15".
My Safari has 15" also. I replaced them about 3 years ago.
Both of the tank covers on my trailers have sufficient space for these hoses.

ps: the hose measurement is the entire hose assembly. (including the threaded end, hose, and the acme nut)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Also use a Marshall valve/regulator...used these, stainless critter protection. 🥴

If in doubt...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Yes it's a Male pipe thread. You want to use the yellow teflon tape (for gas fittings)

TerryC
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When you use yellow Teflon tape with propane fittings, wrap the tape on the male part of the fitting such that NO Teflon tape goes past the end of the threads on the open end of the fitting. This is to prevent little threads of Teflon coming off and migrating into the propane system. I can guarantee you that said debris WILL end up right where it will cause the most trouble.

Murphy's law applies to Airstream systems as well as anything else in the world...what can go wrong, will go wrong, at the most inconvenient time...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
post 1 has a picture of the same gas line as ours. In that picture shows a black line by the green knob. That is a rubber material washer. Our black washer cracked in several places and fell apart. This is where propane was leaking. The other hose was doing the same thing.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote