Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Discover WBCCI?

If a "discover wbcci" rally were offered for non-member, Airstream owning friends to attend, .....would you?

The club offers "buddy rallies" so that members may invite non-members to a club rally. The thought is that this would promote the club and create interest in joining. The problem I see is that you have to know someone in the club to get invited.

I'd rather advertise the opportunity so that any "friend" could sign up to attend. The requirement would be that you would have to attend with an Airstream rv. The goal would be to introduce the club and gain new members.

The issue is changing constitution and by-laws in the club to allow this program.

What do you think?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Already doing that

Not certain of which bylaws you refer but we here in SC, and I believe the region 3, are already practicing the methods you present.

We have advertised prior to an Airstream event in the local media and we seek out Airstream owners and invite them to our Airstream events several times until we either get them to attend or they simply tell us to not bother them anymore.
We do it by mail, word of mouth, and even knock on their doors. I know that I have personaly did U turns in the highway to chase down an Airstream or met up with Airstream owners in parking lots of Walmart or the local RV store and invited them to attend, AT NO COST to them!

We have been successful in growing our club by leaps and bounds over the last few years. and the retention is good. I believe we inducted at least three new couples if not more at the last rally. I think we have two other couples that have signed up but did not make it to the rally.

Ken
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
It sounds like your idea for a "Discover WBCCI" rally is very different from a buddy rally. With the "Discover WBCCI" rally, you are talking about inviting NON-WBCCI Airstream-owners to the rally whereas a buddy rally can also include NON-Airstream owners too.

I think the WBCCI already allows NON-WBCCI Airstream-owners to attend rallys with their Airstream trailers. Am I mistaken?

I think Smiley's idea of inviting a NON-WBCCI Airstream-owner to attend a rally at no cost is a great idea. That sounds like something that each unit would need to discuss and agree upon individually as a unit.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Southeast Coast Spectacular Caravan

While cruising through southern Delaware a couple of days ago I was crossing the Indian River Bridge at Delaware Seashore State Park when I glanced at the campground, and what a sight to behold. There were rows and rows of silver bullets tucked into the southeast corner of the campground. Naturally, I had to check it out. I stopped by to say hello, and to get a few pictures of the rigs, but learned everyone was on a field trip. Most of the units were from Florida and they were flying the Big Bend Unit flag, but several states were represented. I later researched the WBCCI site and found out it was the above-referenced caravan, which began here in Delaware, and ends in Florida in November. I'm always interested in the variety of setups, and did get a few pictures.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Every time I see a thread on this subject I have to jump in with my two cents so here's two more. The idea of "buddy" or discover rallies is good as far as they go. However rallies are just a small part of WBCC. Before I would join I would like to know what the rest of the organization involves, meetings,planning ,etc. If it were just "ATTENDING" rallies and caravans there would be none. Someone obviously has to do a lot of work to make these things happen. In other words WBCC involves, as most members know, more than just events. While being invited to one is nice it's not a true picture of what membership involves. Personally I will not spend $70.00 for a membership until I find out if it's something I want to be a part of.
We just ordered our 3rd NEW Airstream in less than 2 years. When we open our packet there will be the usual invite to become part of the WBCC, along with a form to fill out and send along with $70.00 . Quit Frankly this insults me!! No matter how much fun it is to members, no matter what Airstream says, the purpose of WBCC from it's inception is to promote their products. To ask someone who has just purchased a new product, much less multiples, to pay for an introductory membership, no matter how much, shows how the company views it's customers and what value it places on WBCC.---My 2 cents, or was it a dime???---------------------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Most of our planning is done at the rallys. We will often have a board meeting Sunday morning, or a membership meeting after breakfast. People can stay and be involved or go on about their business. Rallys are the majority of the times we can all be found together, so that's when most of the work gets done. The rallys are really the result of everything we do. I don't think it would be appropriate to begin by inviting new members to a board meeting, though they would be welcome to come. Most people do not want to jump right in to the nuts and bolts of running a club without first seeing if they enjoy the fun part - the rallys!

So Pieman, have you been to a rally yet?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Here is my .02 on a part of this subject. When a person spends between 20 k and up and on new AS. It might be a good idea for AS to start offering a 1 year free membership to the WBCC with the purchase of a new unit. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they actually did this way back when. The Beverly Beach Rally is going to my first WBCC sponsored event that I have attended. I am not a member as of yet. But will most likely join soon.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Here is my .02 on a part of this subject. When a person spends between 20 k and up and on new AS. It might be a good idea for AS to start offering a 1 year free membership to the WBCC with the purchase of a new unit. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they actually did this way back when. The Beverly Beach Rally is going to my first WBCC sponsored event that I have attended. I am not a member as of yet. But will most likely join soon.

Chris
Chris---are you required to join WWCC before attending this Rally or just the fee for the Rally? I just inquired about this concerning an upcoming Rally At Casa Grande AZ regon 11 is putting on. I was told I could pay RALLY AND WBCC fees at the ralley. There was no indication that we would be welcome unless we were members.-----Pieman
Old 10-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Chris---are you required to join WWCC before attending this Rally or just the fee for the Rally? I just inquired about this concerning an upcoming Rally At Casa Grande AZ regon 11 is putting on. I was told I could pay RALLY AND WBCC fees at the ralley. There was no indication that we would be welcome unless we were members.-----Pieman
I think I can clear this up. The Blue Book, which is the constitution/rules/regs of WBCCI states in Article IV, Sec. 8 First Line. Bylaws & Policy Page 8: "a unit member may invite a non-member Airstream\Owner, as a prospective member."

So, you don't need to be a WBCCI member to attend a rally.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
HI Pieman, Well this particular rally was a forum rally and during the process, as I understand it, the WBCC ( Oregon Unit ) decided to sponsor it. Maybe someone more in the know can elaborate on this. I was already signed up for it in the beginning. From what I can tell, the folks here in the PACNW tend to have a different take on rallies. They are more laid back, than some I have read about in other places. I am unclear if you can visit an event as a non-member just to check it out or not ? I am sure you can, what would be the sense in not letting people see what goes on during the rallies. I myself prefer a more laid back atmosphere. After all this is MY free time and I prefer not to do anything that resembles work ! lol
Old 10-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I think I can clear this up. The Blue Book, which is the constitution/rules/regs of WBCCI states in Article IV, Sec. 8 First Line. Bylaws & Policy Page 8: "a unit member may invite a non-member Airstream\Owner, as a prospective member."

So, you don't need to be a WBCCI member to attend a rally.
Thanks Yukionna ! I do have one question - If you don't know any other members can you still "visit" to see if you want to join ? This doesn't apply to me anymore, but I have been asked this question before.

Chris
Old 10-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Thanks Yukionna ! I do have one question - If you don't know any other members can you still "visit" to see if you want to join ? This doesn't apply to me anymore, but I have been asked this question before.

Chris
Don't mean to run this thread in the ground but that was my next question. The person I talked with didn't indicate there there was any option except becoming a member. I certainly would have no problem with ralley fee's and would expect them. Like Chris I don't know anyone that's going and wasn't invited. This thing is getting much to political for me!!
Pieman
Old 10-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Every unit has their own take on this, but I believe any unit that would turn away an Airstreamer who wants to come to a rally and see what it's like BEFORE joining, is a unit that won't be long for this world. Worst of all, it's just contrary to the whole point of the club, to bring people together to enjoy camping in their Airstreams. I personally would have no problem with people coming to a couple rallys before they made their decision! The yearly membership is a lot to shell out, and I take it pretty seriously.

The Beverly Beach Rally was a forum rally last year, and I had been pestering our Oregon Unit to do more 'mini rallys'. So they decided to sponsor the rally this year. In addition they have added other simple camping rallys to the schedule, like the Apple Squeezin' last weekend held in one of the member's orchard. They squeezed cider, an old harvest tradition, had a potluck, watched movies and played cards (and had a board meeting at the end of it). Another rally coming up in November is at a campground near the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial celebration near Longbeach, WA. Normally the club wouldn't do a campout so late in the season, but they thought they'd try it. Earlier this year we had a nice campout in Stevenson, WA on the Columbia River Gorge, complete with campfire. They had quit having campfires years ago for some reason, but everyone enjoyed doing it again and staying up late telling stories.

All this is in an effort to make the club more inviting for younger people, families, and campers who feel the regular rallys are too constrained. I've never seen anyone wearing a blue beret at our rallys We have a great group of folks, and they are very welcoming to newcomers, so I hope that these rallys will help bring more members into our Unit. Anyone with an Airstream is welcome to come rally with our Unit!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Dear Pieman,
I get the impression that you think WBCCI is owned or is sponsored by Airstream as part of their marketing strategy. It is not. WBCCI was started by friends of Wally, who once owned the Airstream Company. It was actually started after he had sold the company to Beatrice Foods and it is now owned by Thor. WBCCI has a good talking relationship with Airstream and Airstream donates some door prizes to some WBCCI events. Less than one out of seven Airstream owners are WBCCI members. The Vintage Club within WBCCI is now about 1000 members now. The TinCan
Tourists is another club started by the same people who started the Vintage club but accepts other brands of vintage trailers and is not associated with WBCCI. Most all WBCCI units will invite you to attend their meetings before you join. Most ask you to pay the usual rally fees (they just cover the costs of putting on the rally) if you bring the trailer to stay overnight and eat. WBCCI is a good club but may not meet your needs and most members are interested gaining members for the long haul because they get good benefits from membership and see it as a reasonable expense.

Dwight Dixon (Past President of the Northern Illinois Unit)
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
WBCCI was started by friends of Wally, who once owned the Airstream Company. It was actually started after he had sold the company to Beatrice Foods and it is now owned by Thor.
My understanding is that the WBCCI or maybe it was called WBCC at first, was formed in 1955. Airstream was sold to Beatrice in the summer of 1969.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
WBCCI Membership---I'm a new Member

After reading this thread I it was interesting to read the different opinions of people about the 'club.' Having purchased a 'new' (1975) AS, I couldn't wait to join the WBCCI because of the great caravan stories my grandparents used to tell us. The club is much more than meetings and is a way to meet some really great people that have one similar interest, Airstreams!!

As for my first impression, here's how mine went. I met with DW, the President of our chapter (Name kept anonymous out of respect ). He and his wife met me for dinner and I knew instantly that they were great people. When we went on our first unit rally, my wife and I looked at each other and stated that we had never met such a nice group of people. We can't wait until our next rally.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Another example of speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
However rallies are just a small part of WBCC. Before I would join I would like to know what the rest of the organization involves,meetings,planning ,etc. If it were just "ATTENDING" rallies and caravans there would be none. Someone obviously has to do a lot of work to make these things happen. In other words WBCC involves, as most members know, more than just events. While being invited to one is nice it's not a true picture of what membership involves. Personally I will not spend $70.00 for a membership until I find out if it's something I want to be a part of.

I am confused, at first you indicate that you would like to know about the organization and how it works. Then you go on to profess that it is all work and much effort as if you already know, do you know or dont know?

We just ordered our 3rd NEW Airstream in less than 2 years. When we open our packet there will be the usual invite to become part of the WBCC, along with a form to fill out and send along with $70.00 . Quit Frankly this insults me!! No matter how much fun it is to members, no matter what Airstream says, the purpose of WBCC from it's inception is to promote their products. ---------------------Pieman
How ludicrous!, Man do your homework prior to getting on the soapbox. Airstream has an 800 number, it is a free call. Why dont you call them and ask if they are associated with the WBCCI, Oh and it is WBCCI.

And check this out. Even though I believe you heard the statement a little out of context, (I think the person was merely being kind and stated that you could pay all fees at the rally only if you choose to do so, it was not a requirement). Man, lighten up and warm up a little.

As a sign of faith, I will personally pay the 70 dollars for your membership, payable to WBCCI and your local unit of choice. (I can see how the purchase of three Airstreams can make things a little tight), for you to actually get an oppurtunity to see what it is all about. And you know what else. You can do nothing but attend, no work required, just attend at your leisure. (It is all voluntary just in case you did not know).
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Non-members welcome

Our unit is putting on a "Vintage Rally" in February (see my posts under both WBCCI rallies and other rallies) at McKinney Falls State Park at the edge of Austin. Every Airstream owner is welcome whether a member or not. It is a short weekend rally so working folks can come. Saturday is the big day with a BBQ dinner, seminars, door prizes, and a video presentation on vintage trailers. The local dealer is supporting the rally and will have technical people on site.

The only difference between members and non-members at this rally is that we have reserved a number of sites in the state park for members and paid the first night fee which will be included in the member's rally fee. Non-members must make their own site reservations. Both members and non members will be charged a small rally fee to cover the BBQ dinner and the rent of the building in which we will meet.

We are even inviting vintage members to drive in on Saturday to show their trailers in the open house. If they only stay for the day, they only have to pay $3 per person to get in the park and pay a small rally fee to cover the dinner and help pay the building rent. In other words, a couple could come for the day and participate for something in the range of $20.

We had a vintage rally 2 years ago in January. The weather was horrid, but all sorts of Airstream folks came out of the woodwork and we had a great time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote