Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
Another newbie...

Hi, guys, here we go, another new Airstreamer joins the herd.

Here's the deal: I live(d) happily in my home for the last seventeen years until getting dumped out on the street recently by an unsympathetic divorce judge. Since uncertainty seemed certain, if that makes any sense, and flexibility looks like a necessity, I motored on down to my local Airstream dealer and got a 22' 2005 CCD off the lot about four months ago.

I towed the unit around behind my '97 Ford Expedition until I found the perfect, albeit temporary, resting place right beside New Mexico's San Juan river in a no name RV park owned by a great guy named Lonnie. I set it up and have been living in it since then.

I love my little aluminum cocoon. It has everything I need right at hand, takes about 8 minutes to clean up, and gives me a feeling of home and security that my former 3400 square foot Santa Fe style adobe home didn't. Of course, I was sharing the big house with the harpy b%$#^ from h$&&, and the Superdome wouldn't even have been big enough to shelter both of us harmoniously even before Katrina tore it up.

This is my first trailer, so the learning curve is really steep, as you can imagine. (Leveling blocks? Can't you just jack it up with those little jacks? You mean you have to put your foot on the sewer hose before dumping the black tank? LOL) But I'm four months down the road now, haven't permanently destroyed anything, so I figure I can at least post on the forum.

I'm going to winter over in the trailer, so I've been reading all I can about trailer coldproofing because it gets pretty nippy here in the high desert. It's getting colder in the mornings (low 40's) so I'm getting practice before real winter hits. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to skirt this thing and also how to keep my water supply from freezing. The propane price crisis drove me to visit my local Home Depot and pick up a portable electric heater to supplement the Airstream's furnace. I also hooked up an auxiliary propane bottle to augment the truly puny 20 pounders that came with the trailer. I'm picking up a goodly supply of foam so I can cut out window panels to slide between the pane and the screen to provide a little more insulation than 1/8" of single pane glass provides. The Airstream is a remarkable beast, but isn't the ultimate in winter homes. And what is the deal with that fitted comforter that they provide. White Miracle Material? I was playing with my two year old nephew, tossed him on the comforter, and he slid all the way across on the slick surface and crashed into the window across the bed before he came to a stop.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the forum contributors. You may never know it, but your contributions here really help to pave the way for others. I'll be dropping in occasionally to let you know if I lose any toes to frostbite.

Until then, you can find me any given evening sitting in my chair watching the glorious New Mexico sunset and sipping a margarita out on the bank of the San Juan river.
jdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forums! Love those CCD's - hate the fitted comforters! We use a down comforter w/a duvet on the bed. It takes one second to make the bed and it's warm in cold weather. Stay warm....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international