Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
For the shower the design is poor. Need to have front down for the water on the floor to get to the drain but if the front is down the water will pool behind the toilet on the toilet ledge.
I find that on my 2012 Interstate, the best drainage for the shower AND the galley sink is to have the passenger side elevated slightly higher than the driver's side. For Grand Tours, it would be the reverse because the wet bath is on the driver's side.

A handy hint, before dumping the black tank, use the handheld shower head to top off the black tank with HOT water by running the shower into the toilet. The hot water helps soften the solids before they can reach the macerator* pump.

Another handy hint, you can use automotive spray wax (I use Turtle Wax Ice) on the walls of your wet bath to make it easier to clean. Since the wet bath isn't really exposed to sunlight, a coat of wax should last a full camping season before needing to be reapplied. In fact, if you start with a clean, dry toilet bowl, you can use the same trick to make it easier to keep the toilet clean, too.

*Macerator is actually a misnomer. It's really a masticator pump even though no one calls it that. "Macerate" means "soften by soaking." On the other hand, "masticate" means "chew" or "grind" and that's what the pump actually does.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We have an RV (actually two - an Interstate and a trailer) and don't use the facilities at a campground unless absolutely necessary. Even then, the toilet maybe but almost never the campground shower. I can't even remember the last time we used a campground shower. Obviously other people have different needs/desires but our RV has what we need.

We use Scotts RV toilet paper and it seems to work well. We have only recently started using Happy Camper black tank treatment so cannot report on its merit (or not) but we've heard it works better than other products.

Showering in the van is not difficult at all for us. We're relatively small stature so that's in our favor. We both have short hair so no need for lots of running water to rinse out shampoo. We like the soap dispenser in the Interstate but can certainly understand why some people move/remove it. We shower in succession so there's only one dry-down process needed after the second person completes their shower. Navy shower - i.e. wet what you need, lather in that area or maybe even your entire body and then rinse off. I wet and lather while sitting on the toilet then stand to rinse. We drape a portion of the shower curtain over the toilet to minimize where water goes. The shower walls only get wet to just above waist high so it's not as if the entire shower needs to be dried. A few moments using a microfiber hand towel dries the shower easily.

Regarding the Navy shower... the two of us can go for up to six days from our fresh water tank and no need to dump the black or gray. We use the shower head shown below which was originally attached to the outside shower hose. We've found the thumb lever on this device allows for very frugal water use when taking a shower. We feel we are every bit as clean as when we take a shower at home and we use a fraction of the water. The lever can be locked in the on position so day to day use of the sink is not an issue. We did recently experience a catastrophic failure with the shower head when the plunger rod broke leaving the head in the off position. We decided a replacement head is always on-board in the storage area of the van in the event that failure occurs again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ITC_shower_head.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	367500  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fair Play , South Carolina
Just to add to showering. My FC works well on gas or electric. Get the water temp just right and wet down, cut off the water, soap up and shampoo, remember the handle location of perfect temp, turn on water and wash off. With closet door and bathroom door in full open there is privacy and space; beats camp shower every time. There is enough water for 2-4 showers each time.
Drewkonopka5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Boon docking hint for black tank

I read with interest these great hints posted and intend to try a few, but I was surprised not seeing a suggestion I have used to help clean my black tank. I got an old rig so maybe that makes a difference. I Agree adding some Dawn helps, and do use. I see how traveling with full tank and dump on arrival sounds doable but added weight in rear, and reduced tongue weight, and mentally a yucky picture. I have seen some units leaking down the road, by accident I hope. So my procedure is to dump before leaving, add some water and Dawn, not much, a squirt or two, but depending on use history, I then chuck in a bag of ice. Or if at home empty my ice-maker cubes into toilet. Off to next camp site. Ice scrubs pretty nicely. No problems. Safe travels. Be safe. Mitch
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #25
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Don’t flush toilet paper, instead get some of those small scented trash bags and hang one handy to the toilet.

Maggie
Why on earth not?
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I think if I remember right, the manual says not to use dish soap in the black water system. Anyone had a bad experience with it? I think it had something to do with the seals but may not be remembering right as I read it somewhere last year.

Good advice as it sounds we will be using our bathrooms a lot this year.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Soap can affect rubber, but I have not seen any warning not to use for black tank cleaning. I will look at my owners manual. Dawn is mild enough to clean ducks, and dilution for a squirt or two in the tank never caused overwhelming suds when sloshing with ice. I do wonder if such precaution is stated in manual since shower or dishes use higher concentration of soap and flows into gray tank. I have not noticed problem. I use Propylene Glycol based anti-freeze which purports to lubricate plumbing seals unlike ethanol which dries rubber. I guess I might investigate rv plumbing type rubber rejuvenator. Thanks for your comment. Be safe. Mitch
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote