Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I would rather have curtains! Travelling with cat who likes to look out, he could get behind curtain and we would both be happy! With 2 shades per window, day and night, there are way too many motors to malfunction.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Suttons bay , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
After following this thread with interests but not having any issues with my shade I wondered if it was just matter of time.......and it was! On the way home from Florida, the passenger rear night shade stopped working luckily in the down position so we can still sleep without others looking in. I own a 2016, 1 year old with 6,000 miles. The day I picked up my coach new from the dealer they had to fix the rear door shades which took them over 2 hours to get them to work but could not adjust the tension so when the shades go down they kink up.

I really want to just switch these out to the manual pull down type. The 2 areas I'm concerned about are the shades and the macerator. I've learned on my last 8 coaches that eventually the valves fail on the dump tanks leaving you with a real headache.....I would prefer that airstream doesn't offer the "bells and whistles" unless they have a redundant system to operate manually (and easily).

Has anyone swapped out the window shades with manual one's. My dealer is 4 hours away and a real pain to get repairs done.

I would love to swap mine out for manual also. Hopefully someone out there has suggestions
tlcoftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Suttons bay , Michigan
Does anyone know who manufactures the unreliable power shades for the Airstream Interstates?
tlcoftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
This should help, FlyfishinRv posted the supplier to the AI shades on another thread below...look at post #3!

Good Luck!

Mark

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ds-181357.html
Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
WILTON , CT
The remote sucks too. But try lowering the sun shade first, then the night shade. Worked for us.
Havinfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
I know I'm in the wrong forum but, couldn't keep myself from 'The Problem' regarding shades.

I recently had a 2014 Class B+ SOB with an ability to raise or lower all the shades with a touch of a button on a panel near the entrance. Sometimes they did raise or lower in unison but, not always. The rig was under warranty but, I really didn't want to try to get the selling dealer to fix the problem (for reasons I won't elaborate here but, if you're interested see below).

For awhile, we noticed that one of the shades kept misbehaving and refused to do what the other 'guys' were told to do - raise or lower. I spent an inordinate amount of time researching and head-scratching to try and figure out WTF. Sometimes, all was good - most times not. So, to cut to 'the chase'...We noticed that all was good whenever we ran the genny or were plugged into a solid 30A power source. Ha...trying to get all the window shades to sing the same tune together - required a good power source. So, maybe the motor or whatever is OK but, the 'system' is rated on the fringe of the power source capability.

If you can raise/lower shades individually but, not all at once, check your power specs.

(One reason I didn't return for a 'fix' at the SOB selling dealer: During the PDI, I questioned why the LP Monitor was registering zero. Did it need a fill-up? They summoned their expert tech who declared that it said "0" because it was Full and didn't need a refill. So, being a newbie with this rig I sorta believed him - at the time. And, I have a bunch of other dumbo tales from this dealer - who, BTW is a 5-Rivet AS dealer!! Buyer should always pre-prepare and beware! Dealers/techs are not always the best info source). I drove about 500 miles RT to another AS 5-Rivet dealer to buy my 'Tommy' and am doing my own fix-its at home. So far, so good.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Same problems here. I was impressed with the power shades and love the classy look. One of the reasons I choose my Grand Tour. Although my shades lock up at times, I get better results by controlling them one at a time. If I do have a problem, and it’s usually with coming down, instead of going up, I just manually give it a pull with both hands.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 Aviation View Post
Right now, my drivers side mid sun shade is inop. Dead..

I am going to drop the side wall and do some troubleshooting. I need to learn the difference in the "original" motorized shades and the "new improved" shades. There was a post on here recently with pictures. My 2017 is a July 2016 build, so I have no idea when the improved shade was implemented at production.

In 18 months, I have only had the drivers side front night shade become inop. It was replaced by Airstream when I was there in April 2017 for the drivers side awning install. Otherwise I have been lucky that they have all worked until now.
Forget the new "improved" shades - they're problematic as well. The dealer installed one to replace a failed unit on driver-side rear, only to find out there's no good way to conceal/secure the wiring and receiver. As such, upon raising the shades shortly thereafter the wiring and receiver got entangled with the shades and shade track and had to be taken back to the dealer for repair. It looked like a bowl of spaghetti! To prevent the same thing from happening again, this time the dealer secured the receivers by literally screwing them into the side panel (visible if you're looking for it; otherwise, not). We'll see if this works but even if it does, it's a workaround that shouldn't have to happen! Airstream's power shades, both original and new designs, are absolute junk! My Airstream has been in the shop 4 different times to repair the shades. I have talked to Airstream's corporate service manager several times and Airstream is aware of the issue but things don't seem to be getting any better. I even asked him if he could offer a manual shade option but his response was that due to the side panel design, it would be a difficult thing to design/build (I don't buy that). For all you RV shoppers, I recommend shopping around for Airstream alternatives until they truly fix this power shade problem.
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I have 2018, problem with shades and Airstream said I had the new "problem- free" shades....obviously not fixed. One night shade dead
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post
Forget the new "improved" shades - they're problematic as well. The dealer installed one to replace a failed unit on driver-side rear, only to find out there's no good way to conceal/secure the wiring and receiver. As such, upon raising the shades shortly thereafter the wiring and receiver got entangled with the shades and shade track and had to be taken back to the dealer for repair. It looked like a bowl of spaghetti! To prevent the same thing from happening again, this time the dealer secured the receivers by literally screwing them into the side panel (visible if you're looking for it; otherwise, not). We'll see if this works but even if it does, it's a workaround that shouldn't have to happen! Airstream's power shades, both original and new designs, are absolute junk! My Airstream has been in the shop 4 different times to repair the shades. I have talked to Airstream's corporate service manager several times and Airstream is aware of the issue but things don't seem to be getting any better. I even asked him if he could offer a manual shade option but his response was that due to the side panel design, it would be a difficult thing to design/build (I don't buy that). For all you RV shoppers, I recommend shopping around for Airstream alternatives until they truly fix this power shade problem.

My 2013 does not have the power shades, but I am having the pleated(prone to fall apart) shades replaced with the MCD manual shades. I liked the pleated shades, but they are a PIA to restring when the string snaps. (I was getting good at it too....)
I am concerned that the MCD’s might rattle a bit, but we’ll see.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
First of all - I feel for those having these constant power shade issues. I hope to heck I don't experience it. But I know my AI already did - pre-delivery, dealer was replacing R/S front, though they denied mine failed. Supposedly, they needed to borrow mine to urgently fix another unit. REALLY? Cannibalize a new one to fix a broken one instead of waiting for the parts? I didn't buy it.

Secondly - I am surprised there is not a manual alternative from factory, MCD, etc. Or even a DIY option from anyone here. I am afraid to tinker with mine unless it fails. But if anyone has their failed shades already detached, would you mind sharing detailed pics of the ends, mounting hardware, etc? In retrospect, I should've done so myself when my unit was disassembled in dealer. I wish I could get my hands on a broken unit. It can't be that complicated to fabricate a manual option. Toughest part may just be getting a manual top roller? Am I oversimplifying a more complex problem?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Secondly - I am surprised there is not a manual alternative from factory, MCD, etc. Or even a DIY option from anyone here. I am afraid to tinker with mine unless it fails. But if anyone has their failed shades already detached, would you mind sharing detailed pics of the ends, mounting hardware, etc? In retrospect, I should've done so myself when my unit was disassembled in dealer. I wish I could get my hands on a broken unit. It can't be that complicated to fabricate a manual option. Toughest part may just be getting a manual top roller? Am I oversimplifying a more complex problem?

No, but you may be over-complexifying (tm ) a simple problem. The manufacturer of these little beasts makes a manual version. Seems like a call to them might result in some drop-in replacements, price TBD....

http://automotionshade.com/English/Product-More.aspx?pageUser=1¤tSerial=73&serial=144&product id=1
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #53
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
The manufacturer of these little beasts makes a manual version. Seems like a call to them might result in some drop-in replacements, price TBD....
Well, well, there you go! If this is a viable option, then I guess it's up to those here adamant about ripping out their power shades and replacing with manual to get this ball rolling. I truly do not understand why converting to manual would be that hard. Though I agree it would be a PITA to take out the valances. I am still in the "hoping & praying mine stay working" stage of my rv life
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #54
Airstream owner 30 years

Currently Looking...
Bev Hills , California
never worked

have a new 2018 Interstate and on getting home, found one of the shades not working. Made sure it was in the track, free of obstructions etc etc.
Clearly the problem starts at the factory, meaning Airstream is receiving defective parts. Doubt it is their fault but they should probably change suppliers or just make it all manual.
As well as the automatic step!
Keithkleinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #55
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Keithkleinmd,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue with your shade in your new 2018 Interstate. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Keithkleinmd,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue with your shade in your new 2018 Interstate. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
What is Airstream going to do to solve this pervasive power shade quality/reliability issue for good - not just going forward for new customers but also for all current customers who've experienced the problem or soon surely will? Will there be a recall for current customers? Something needs to be done asap because, quite frankly, with the existing problems Interstate customer sat is going to be severely impacted!
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #57

Englewood , Florida
Angry shady shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrdad View Post
I would keep the appointment and take it to the dealer. In my almost 3 years of owning this '16 GT, I had to take it back no less than 12 times just because of the automatic shade issues. It's so nice and impressive looking when all is working, BUT... you feel so helpless when it's not. I worry about when the warranty runs out in a few months. I am almost tempted to keep all the shades closed and not touch them ever, so at least I'll have privacy at night while camping.
I have had some problems with My 2016 GT shades and was able to work through them. I finally have 4 defective shades took it to my dealer he gave me a price of 2000.00 to correct all the problems.SAD
41 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Santa Clarita , CA
I am new I have a 2016 airstream interstate and lounge with electric shades and blinds and I was having the same problem as the same as everybody else's I tried with journey dog was saying plugging it up to shore powerand now all of my blinds work except one so maybe you should try plugging it up the shore power and try them out one at a time
Moereece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Santa Clarita , CA
Just wanna say thanks to you journey dog that help me out a whole lot I hope that it helps someone else happy streaming
Moereece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #60
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
During my trip to CO (still on-going, I did finally come across a power shade problem. My R/S rear night shade would not come down on it's rear track but was coming down on it's front track. Having caught it in time, I stopped it and reversed to retract all the way up. Before trying to bring it down again, I tried to bring down the day shade. To my horror, it unspooled the shade but both rollers/glides stayed stuck in the upper tracks.

1. MOST IMPORTANT TIP - NEVER USE the all up or all down function. The reason you want to stay away from this is if you use it, you will not be able to spot a problem with a shade right away. You may just have a second or two to stop the motor. This is important because if left to run with something binding the track, it may only take seconds for the stepper motor to burn. I am only guessing it uses stepper motors because I have read many, many threads saying there are limit switches that get adjusted by AS for upper & lower limits. If AI was using servo motors, it would have internal feedback for position not needing limit switches).

2. If you have pets, kids, or even adults who may be riding as passenger when near any of the shades closed, it behooves you to ALWAYS CHECK that both roller /glides are inside the track (inside the black channel) before operating the shade. They have a tendency to bump into them and inadvertently derailling them off-track. Sometimes they would glide down partway in between tracks until they catch something.

3. If after pressing a button, the shade does not work after 2secs. press button again asap to stop motor (I have Firefly controls, don't know how this is done on pre-2018 discrete switches). As long as motor is not burnt, go back to #2 and free obstructions and put back roller/glides inside the track.

4. The electrical connectors to the motors are tucked up on either side of the shade. Airstream did a MASTERFUL job of screwing up such an avoidable wiring obstacle that the roller/glide would encounter if they had limited the amount of excess wiring they bundled in a huge ball AND used miniature connectors instead of the 4x huge molex connectors - 2 large white (yellow arrows) & 2 smaller black (red arrows) tucked further inside.

5. Apparently, Airstream realized their brilliant SNAFU from #4 above, they decided they can prevent this entire blob of an accident from happening by using a plastic wire/cable clip that have double-sided tape that sticks to the plastic grey MB trim (red circle). When outside temp is 105° and inside temp is almost 120° guess what happens to the double-sided sticky tape? It softens up and gets unstuck. When the wire/cable clip get unstuck, guess what happens to those 4x molex connectors and big blob of wire - YES, it gets caught in a moving power shade track/roller/glide. If this happens long enough or in often enough intervals, your little DC stepper motor either burns up or it's life is dramatically shortened. We know these are not the most robust heavy duty DC motor, so the way to extend their life is to have very little drag on them.

I was lucky to have caught all these without damaging my motor and fix my shade temporarily until I get back home. I will be re-wiring all my shades to better standards in a few weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_195722.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	313678