Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Newbie plumbing questions

#1 I am driveway camping and we hooked up the city water but I don't know how to get the hot water working. It runs really slowly out of the hot water side.

#2 my grey water tank says it is already 1/3 full after running the faucets to flush the antifreeze. I wanted to drain the grey water a little but nothing was coming out.

#3 I turned on the tank heaters. Do I leave them on all the time or only at night when it is 30 degrees? It is currently 45-55 during the days here.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
1. Regarding low-flowing hot water, check the red valve on the hot water tank. This is a by-pass valve that is used when winterizing so you don't fill up the hot water tank with anti-freeze if that's what you use. It may not be fully open. To access it, open the back, and pull the black carpet off the right side under the couch. You should be able to see and access the valve. If that doesn't do it, take it to a dealer. There is no other reason for slow flowing water that I can think of.

2. The gauges are not that accurate. It is between a bit more than empty and 1/3 when it registers 1/3 full. It is likely empty or almost. Don't worry about it if you have emptied the tank until it runs out of fluid (or mostly does-mine never runs out completely because the pump is higher than the 3" hose).

3. You don't need to turn on the tank heaters unless it is very cold and below well below freezing. It would have to get much colder than 32F for and extended time before you would have to worry about it. More troubling is the macerator. It will hold water and freeze if cold long enough and damage it. No easy cure for that other than empty the hose (I used anti-freeze and it still froze because of the amount of water left in the hose to the macerator that could never be drained completely. If you keep the cab warmer than freezing, you don't have to worry about the internal plumbing (and keep the hot water tank full).

4. If it will be below freezing a long time, unhook the city water to keep the hose and connections from freezing as well.

The dealer should have gone over these basic things, but most don't bother.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
You need to turn your water pump on. Middle switch over sink. Also need to turn the hot water heater on in the control cabinet. Turn the button with the flame on it to on, also make sure your propane is turned on. Unless you are hooked up to shore power then turn the hot water switch to electric mode.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
If he's on city water, he wouldn't use the water pump.

As for the hot water tank, I usually use both propane and electric. Heats up twice as fast.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
I'm not able to find the bypass valve... When I lifted all of the carpet, all I saw was the black box where all the fuses are housed.

AI Facebook Group

Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
I'm not able to find the bypass valve... When I lifted all of the carpet, all I saw was the black box where all the fuses are housed.
The bypass valve on an Interstate is under the sofa, on the driver's side, just ahead of the water heater and a bit to the right. I believe gmillerok1 just had a senior moment when he said the right side.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Another suggestion: there may be air in the water system, particularly if it's never been used before. And this effects the hot system and water heater more than the cold. To ensure air is removed, plug in shore water, and open one tap at a time (hot and cold) until the water stops spluttering from the tap. Do this for all taps and the toilet.
Clearly it's not a good idea to turn on the water heater if there's a chance it has only air in there!
Then see if you get a better flow from the hot taps.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am in Denville and would offer to come by, but I have a trailer, not an Interstate. Pm me if you want me to come down. Is the anode back in hot water?
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
There is no anode in the water heaters used in the newer Interstates.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I said right? I must have been facing it from the front. From the back, it's is indeed on the left. It is on the street side-is that better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The bypass valve on an Interstate is under the sofa, on the driver's side, just ahead of the water heater and a bit to the right. I believe gmillerok1 just had a senior moment when he said the right side.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427489689.793381.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	235046is this it? It is difficult to turn so I don't want to touch it unless I am sure

AI Facebook Group

Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's it.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Attachment 235046is this it? It is difficult to turn so I don't want to touch it unless I am sure
It also looks like it is in the bypass position from winterizing, so it is the cause of your lack of hot water.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote