Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Help! Bubble plumbing questions

The way my Bubble sits now it has one sink with two faucets. One of the faucets is directly from the hose hookup and only works with pressure. The other is a pump faucet that pumps directly out of a holding tank under the rear bed. This is the only tank in my Bubble. The toilet has been removed along with any tank, pump or other accessories that would have been there originally.
Here are my questions:
1. Was there originally a pump that would have run the sink and toilet?
2. Obviously there was originally a waste holding tank, where was this located?
3. Was the tank under the rear bed the only fresh water tank originally?
4. Would it be better to just put in an electric porta-potty?
Basically, as you can see, I am looking for someone who can explain the entire original system and how it worked. Also please give suggestions as to the best way to redo my system if necessary.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

There would have been no water pump, just a pressurised tank (it uses air pressure to force water out) you fill with an air pump.
If there it isnt an air tank system then it was meant to work when hooked up to a garden hose only, or at sink with hand pump, you may add an electric pump but you will also need a battery and charger or run from tow vehicle 12v, also make sure you allow for air to enter system.
There would have been no holding tank, back then they dug a Gopher hole and buried "it" when done, or put a bucket under the trailer (yuck).
Use it as intended or get a portable holding tank or put in your porta pottie or do like the bears do and use the woods.
Bubbles and vintage small trailers are very cool, but in original condition are not very modern when it comes to waste, not untill the mid 60's did things start to approach what you might consider normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58BUBBLE
The way my Bubble sits now it has one sink with two faucets. One of the faucets is directly from the hose hookup and only works with pressure. The other is a pump faucet that pumps directly out of a holding tank under the rear bed. This is the only tank in my Bubble. The toilet has been removed along with any tank, pump or other accessories that would have been there originally.
Here are my questions:
Basically, as you can see, I am looking for someone who can explain the entire original system and how it worked. Also please give suggestions as to the best way to redo my system if necessary.
Thanks
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unfortunately, there weren't complete manuals (as we know them today) published for the 50's trailers. You would have most likely have gotten a manilla envelope with a bunch of loose sheets at best pertaining to the different systems.

You may want to check out the Vintage Airstream website's archives section though....I found this 1958 Manual Supplement that may be helpful.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58BUBBLE
Here are my questions:
Thanks
58Bubble:

The 1957 Bubbles were pretty simple trailers with simple systems.

1. There probably was no electric or compresed air water pump in your trailer, but only the hand pump on the sink counter to draw water from an unpressurized tank under the bed to the sink. The water to flush the toilet probably came only from a garden hose when attached. Otherwise, a pail or bucket was used.

2. Toillet holding tanks were not standard in 1957, and rarely found. Waste usually "dropped to daylight" and was sent via a tube into a gohper hole you dug before leveling your trailer, or into a bucket hung underneath the toilet outside the trailer. Those were the days of diaper buckets in the bathroom, so noses were generally less "sensitive" to poop than in today's Pampers-filled world. It was no less unpleasant, but people just dealt with it as best they could back then.

3. Most likely the fresh water tank under the bed was the only fresh water tank in the trailer.

4. I'd suggest a non-powered manual pump porta pottie, less to go wrong or dead during long term storage. Or, assuming the electric porta pottie has its own batteries, always keep eatra fresh batteries handy.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote