Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Inverter settings to preserve battery ?

I am a recent owner of a 2012 AI and I see other posts relating to the alternator not charging house batteries. I have the same issue but my question pertains to Tripp Lite settings to most effectively charge/preserve batteries. My AI has solar and a Tripp Lite inverter. When I was buying I thought alternator was charging house battery but it turned out to be the solar that was charging it - night driving drain the batteries quickly. I have a few questions which I'd appreciate any thoughts on.

- are there any specific switch settings on inverter itself or control panel which may be causing my alternator to not charge batteries ? An airstream dealer told me that to charge while driving I should put the control panel in the cabinet up top on "Line/Charge Only" setting and the inverter master control switch to "Charger Only" (as opposed to "DC Off" or "Auto Remote"). I have tried this but alternator still doesn't seem to charge batteries while driving. Are these switch settings correct (in which case I am told I may have a solenoid, fuse, or wiring issue) or am I on the wrong settings to enable charge through alternator while driving.

- second question is once I use shore power to charge up, I place the AI in a parking lot bc I can't clear the slope in my driveway. The lot has no power. What settings should I place switches on to minimize drain on battery while in storage? I assume master control switch should be in "DC Off". Should I also turn the red battery knob 90 degrees to vertical position while storing in order to try to preserve battery and reduce long term damage? Will doing either of these prevent the solar from recharging the house battery during the day (it is a sunny lot)?

- final question is that I noticed that when my battery ran to 0% and I plugged into my regular house outlet that it immediately went to 40%. Does this mean that my battery has only 60% of original capacity? Are damaged batteries a possible reason why alternator doesn't charge batteries ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I knew I should have listened to my Dad and studied Engineering. This stuff doesn't come easy to a Liberal Arts major !
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
An airstream dealer told me that to charge while driving I should put the control panel in the cabinet up top on "Line/Charge Only" setting and the inverter master control switch to "Charger Only" (as opposed to "DC Off" or "Auto Remote").
I have the same setup. Your Airstream dealer is slightly mistaken. If the 3-way master switch on the inverter/charger is on "Charge Only" it doesn't matter what the 2-way switch on the control panel is set on. The 2-way switch doesn't do anything at all unless the 3-way switch is on "Auto."

Alternately, set the 3-way switch to "Auto" and the 2-way switch to "Line/Charge Only."

But BOTH of those are for charging from generator or shore power, and have nothing to do with charging from solar or the alternator. The alternator is putting out DC current through the voltage regulator already, and charges through the BIM without going through the inverter/charger at all.

Question: How old are your batteries? They may be too old and decrepit to hold a charge anymore, especially if they have been depleted multiple times below 0% (yes, you can go below 0% charge state) without being removed and bench-charged with a proper 3- or 4-stage charger than can do reconditioning charges.
Quote:
once I use shore power to charge up, I place the AI in a parking lot bc I can't clear the slope in my driveway. The lot has no power. What settings should I place switches on to minimize drain on battery while in storage? I assume master control switch should be in "DC Off". Should I also turn the red battery knob 90 degrees to vertical position while storing in order to try to preserve battery and reduce long term damage? Will doing either of these prevent the solar from recharging the house battery during the day (it is a sunny lot)?
Everything off. The solar panel will charge the batteries even if everything is switched off.
Quote:
I noticed that when my battery ran to 0% and I plugged into my regular house outlet that it immediately went to 40%. Does this mean that my battery has only 60% of original capacity?
No. Charge state doesn't work like that. When you're plugged into shore power, you're not measuring the battery's charge state, you're measuring the charger's charge state. It's more complicated than that, but that's the Liberal Arts version.
Quote:
Are damaged batteries a possible reason why alternator doesn't charge batteries ?
Quite possible. Damaged batteries won't properly charge from any source.

The second time I depleted by house batteries, quite by accident while I was still at the bottom of the learning curve, I bought a bench-mount multi-stage battery charger, pulled the house batteries, and spent 3 full days per battery putting a reconditioning charge on them before reinstalling them after they "rested" a day with no load so I could accurately check the charge state. The batteries performed much better after that.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
. . .
. . . without going through the inverter/charger at all.
. . .

I am confused. Don't you mean converter/charger?

In the OP, doesn't Elgo also mean the converter, not inverter? Or are these terms used differently in an Interstate? Thought an "inverter" took 12-volt DC power and turned it into 120-volt AC power.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Don't you mean converter/charger?
No. An Airstream Interstate is equipped with an inverter/charger. You can either put 12vDC in one end and get 120vAC out the other (inverter) or you can put 120vAC in one end and ger 12vDC out the other (charger). But it's one at a time; it can't do both at once.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good to know, thanks! The use of the term "inverter" has always seemed odd in this sub-forum, to this trailer mind!

At least we know now where the oddness lay . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good to know, thanks! The use of the term "inverter" has always seemed odd in this sub-forum, to this trailer mind!
De nada. Some things about trailers are just as esoteric to a motorhome owner.

But like the saying goes, "If it was easy, anybody could play."
Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Thanks, Protaganist, for the detailed reply. You should have seen me driving from Georgia to Vegas trying various combinations of switches in various positions to make the alternator charge the house battery. Just randomly flipping things because I had no clue and the Airstream manuals are of negative value. How ironic that as you point out none of that matters when it comes to alternator powering battery.

I think my next task will be to try to recondition the batteries (if you have any recs on battery chargers). I have no idea how old batteries are however in my 2000 mile drive I was unable to keep them from depleting to zero so I'm sure I did some damage. Several times I would run the gen to keep charge up but after running up to 60 or 70% (which only took minutes), the battery would deplete to zero again in minutes. The gen seems to do little to put a sustained barge on batteries. The batteries do seem to hold charge for 24 hrs after being plugged in all night, but I suspect they aren't in great shape.

My plan is to see if good batteries solve the alternator not charging issue. If not,
I probably am going to need to bring it into a shop or dealer to diagnose if it's solenoid (as one dealer suggested on phone) or the fuse under driver's seat (which various others have reported) or other factors.

All of this reminds me of the saying that "I didn't know what I didn't know."
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
I think my next task will be to try to recondition the batteries (if you have any recs on battery chargers).
This is one reason why Airstream phased out the TrippLite inverter/chargers and went to Magnums. The TrippLite is a single-stage charger, and cannot charge batteries to 100% charge state.

I don't have any particular recommendation on bench chargers. But you should be able to find what you need at Pep Boys, probably for less than the price of a new battery.

But you should still budget for new house batteries anyway. A 3- or 4-stage charger cannot resurrect ruined batteries.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Replace the house batteries

The first disappointment most used Interstate buyers experience is finding that their house batteries are toast.The batteries get ruined sitting on a dealer's lot. I had to replace ours soon after purchase.
The second disappointment most AI owners experience is when they realize that even with new batteries, the rig is only capable of boondocking off grid for a day or two without running the loud generator for extended periods or giving up and finding somewhere to plug into shore power.
Once you accept those truths, you will be able to enjoy the Interstate.

When parking our AI for storage (>2days), I do the following. Park in sun. Turn off switch inside fridge. Turn off red rotary switch located under rear lounge. Move switch on Tripp-Lite inverter to middle position(off). Push button on antenna signal amplifier so light is off (located in cabinet directly above driver's seat. If I do all this, the solar panel keeps the batteries topped off with no trouble. Good luck and enjoy your rig!
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Forgot the propane switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
The first disappointment most used Interstate buyers experience is finding that their house batteries are toast.The batteries get ruined sitting on a dealer's lot. I had to replace ours soon after purchase.
The second disappointment most AI owners experience is when they realize that even with new batteries, the rig is only capable of boondocking off grid for a day or two without running the loud generator for extended periods or giving up and finding somewhere to plug into shore power.
Once you accept those truths, you will be able to enjoy the Interstate.

When parking our AI for storage (>2days), I do the following. Park in sun. Turn off switch inside fridge. Turn off red rotary switch located under rear lounge. Move switch on Tripp-Lite inverter to middle position(off). Push button on antenna signal amplifier so light is off (located in cabinet directly above driver's seat. If I do all this, the solar panel keeps the batteries topped off with no trouble. Good luck and enjoy your rig!
Forgot to say to also shut off propane switch located in black box behind right rear wheels.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Forgot to say to also shut off propane switch located in black box behind right rear wheels.
One of the first, and best, modifications I made to my AI was to install an interior propane switch in series with the outside switch. I was able to access the appropriate wires under the curb-side jackknife seat. I ran wires up to the panel and installed a toggle switch there. Saves getting down numerous times to access the outside switch.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
One of the first, and best, modifications I made to my AI was to install an interior propane switch in series with the outside switch. I was able to access the appropriate wires under the curb-side jackknife seat. I ran wires up to the panel and installed a toggle switch there. Saves getting down numerous times to access the outside switch.
+1 on adding an interior LP switch. I just don't understand why Airstream doesn't add a second switch. I know they need a switch by the fill port for safety, but a second switch in series just makes the system so much easier to use.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Propane

Quote:
I have a 2014 and belong to the cult that believes that the red use/store switch by the door turns off the propane when in the store position.

My cult maintains this belief because that's how we turn off the propane when travelling through tunnels that require that your propane be turned off.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Thumbs up Heartbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntasphalt View Post
the first disappointment most used interstate buyers experience is finding that their house batteries are toast.the batteries get ruined sitting on a dealer's lot. I had to replace ours soon after purchase.
The second disappointment most ai owners experience is when they realize that even with new batteries, the rig is only capable of boondocking off grid for a day or two without running the loud generator for extended periods or giving up and finding somewhere to plug into shore power.

^^^^

this
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
I have a 2014 and belong to the cult that believes that the red use/store switch by the door turns off the propane when in the store position.
If memory serves, this is one thing that Airstream changed in response to owner input. Proof that they do listen, if enough owners scream loud enough in unison…

My Airstream Interstate is of a previous generation that didn't even have a use/store switch by the door.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post

My cult maintains this belief because that's how we turn off the propane when travelling through tunnels that require that your propane be turned off.
Of course if you turn off all the 12VDC power to the fuse panel the LP valve will close and the refrigerator will be off too. Does that mean you run with the outside switch on the fill panel in the ON position all the time? I hope not - because if you do you will be another member of the dead battery cult.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My 2011 must have slipped thru w/ different wiring as the Red battery disconnect under the rear lounge turned everything off including the propane valve and antenna booster. Never checked smoke and CO detectors.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
My 2011 must have slipped thru w/ different wiring as the Red battery disconnect under the rear lounge turned everything off including the propane valve and antenna booster. Never checked smoke and CO detectors.
Easy way to tell about the propane solenoid switch, no need to guess or assume…

Turn off the 12v power, but leave the propane solenoid switch on.
Light a stove burner. The stove is the only propane appliance that doesn't need 12v power for a thermostat.

If the 12v disconnect also kills power to the propane solenoid switch, then the burner might light, but it will go out in a few seconds when the propane in the lines is used up and there's none from the tank to replace it.
If the 12v disconnect doesn't also kill power to the propane solenoid, the burner will light and stay lit for as long as there is propane coming from the tank.

On my 2012 Interstate, the burner lights and stays lit long enough to cook an entire meal, indicating that the propane solenoid switch is wired completely independently of the big red 12vDC disconnect switch. So when I store my Interstate, I have to turn off the propane separately.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I had no problem telling when my propane valve was off as I could hear it open when it had power.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I had no problem telling when my propane valve was off as I could hear it open when it had power.
Yeah, it snaps open or closed with a loud click.

But the "light a burner" method provides absolute proof of whether the solenoid valve is open or closed at any given moment, as well as being a bit more entertaining than just listening for a click from somewhere under the van. Anything involving lighting a fire is more entertaining than flipping a switch…