Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Mojave National Preserve

I am on my way to this area...Has anyone been recently?? As I understand it there is an area called the Providence mountains SRA and Mitchell Caverns that is part of California's state parks...and is currently closed until October 2011...If calling their phone number is any indication this is true...it had camping.....this area was accessedby entering at Essex offI 40 west of Needles, Ca.

This leaves, to my knowledge..."open off road camping" in areas previously used in this fashion and a campground known as Hole in the wall and another and these are near Kelso where there is an old train depot and visitors center...

Kelso is also entered off I40 further west of Essex and this road will lead to I15 and Baker Ca.

Anyone know of other information regarding ths area????

thanks
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Yes, Mitchell Cavern Tours were closed in November. A paper note was pasted on the signs going north from the Essex I40 exit.

For notes and photo galleries about a recent visit see Mojave’s Hole in the Wall and Cima to Kelso in the Mojave National Preserve - another is The two mission revival style RR depots: Kelso and Caliente and that one has some additional links to follow.

The Providence Mt state park campground is, from what I hear, very small (5 sites or so) but quite scenic. The Hole in The Wall campground has a nearby visitor's center and is federal, has water and a dump station and even some pull through sites. There is even an equestrian and group camp area across the road.

Dispersed camping in the Preserve is allowed but that really needs some knowledge of the area, especially with an RV. There is another campground just north of HitW but that requires some transit of gravel roads which may have some significant washboard.

The Kelso Depot is on the Baker to Amboy (KelBaker) road - nice drive. Well worth a visit. Just south of Kelso is the Dunes - possibly some dispersed camping opportunity but Hole in the Wall (going down to the freeway and then up to the campground) isn't that much farther.

We went up the grade on I15 from Baker (closed recently due to snow would you believe!) to hit the Cima road to Cima and then followed the tracks down to Kelso. (Leaving Amargosa River Country for the Mojave)

The ranger at the Preserve was looking for volunteer hosts recently. If you have some time, give her a call and find out what that might entail. This isn't a summer opportunity but then that season in the desert might be a bit of a challenge, anyway.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Best place for camping on the East side is Hole in the Wall. The road to the cave is a nice spur trip but the route is very steep. Lots of dirt roads that lead to improvised campsites between the fork to the cave and Hole in the Wall. Most of the roads are OK for an AS. Try to find a spot several hundred yards off the road. Soil can be soft when it rains or snows but dries out after a day or two of sun. Lots of territory to explore via dirt roads but the road above (to the north) Hole in the Wall becomes very muddy after a storm. There was a large fire in the hills to the north of Hole in the Wall that burned most of the trees for several miles.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Islander

Hole in the Wall Campground

So best I can understand...... this is the only campground that is "there"...and is accessible from Essexs road and Black Canyon road and dead ends at the campground and is in the same proximity as the SRA at Providence

and the Kelbaker road goes to Kelso and then to Baker or to the Cima road...and is the only way to traverse the area fron south to north.....???

there is an area called Mid hills that suffered a fire sometime back...

so if i camp at hole in the wall i have to travel back to I40 to get to the other ares of the preserve to explore.?????

thanks
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
The paved portion of the Black Canyon road ends at Hole in the Wall. When they are dry, the graded dirt roads in the area are generally easy to travel on and offer lots of opportunities for exploration in all directions. There are areas to camp on the way up to the Hole in the Wall CG. Maybe some washboard on the graded roads but if you are based at Hole in the Wall you can explore a lot of territory without your AS attached. There is a campground in the Mid Hills but most of it it was burned over during the fire.

Check the NPS map at:
http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisi...facilities.pdf

The paved roads are red and the graded dirt roads are in black. If the graded dirt roads are wet, a 4X4 with aggressive M&S tires will get you around. The non-maintained dirt roads in the East side (not on the map) are generally OK. I do not like driving on wet plya near the dunes but some folks have been camping in that area as well.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Islander

beginning to get it

arrived at a nice park in Needles today and immediately drove to Hole In The Wall to investigate...will take the trailer there tomorrow and stay a couple of days...can't wait.
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 01-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Islander

Hole in the wall

made it to the HITW and it was great.....It is too bad the SRA is closed as it sounds great....Black Canyon road becomes unpaved at the campground...We drove past it to the Mid Hills camp and then on to the intersection of Cedar Canyon road where one direction leads to The kelso depot and the other to the ivanpah road...did not take the AS, it would be possible...but too rough unless absolutely necessary.... The Mid Hills camp at one time was most likely spectacular but the fire decimated it...but it is still campable...

we exited by returning to I40 and then up the Kelbaker road to Baker, Ca....the approach to Baker is a spectacular drive with the apperance of snowcovered mountails and a sizeable Joshua Tree stand

The Mojave National Preserve is worth a trip.........we took the 6+ mile hike around Barber Peak...quite a hike
WBCCI 2541

4CU