Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Adventure Gypsy

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Phoenix , Arizona
Drawers

I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the drawers. Mine have those push button handles, but they do not latch with a locking devise. The drawers latch via a plastic open/close clip at the back of each drawer. They only use one clip per drawer. I find that the drawers with the heavier items such as cooking pots and pans tend to let drawers pop open when you make a sharp left turn or coach rocks side to side when crossing curb. I have had this rip the tracks for the drawer right out of cabinet.
I have added an extra clip to the back of these heavier drawers. It has helped cut down on this, but makes it hard to open drawer. I know that the push button handles are available with a locking mechanism. I feel Airstream is cutting corners to save a few bucks by going this way. It's like they are designing their units for occasional users. We do not use ours full time, but do spend considerable time in ours and therefore may carry more items than your average owner.
Do others have this problem and what have you done to solve this issue.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Are there weight limits for these drawers? Perhaps you are overloading them.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupchu9702 View Post
I find that the drawers with the heavier items such as cooking pots and pans tend to let drawers pop open when you make a sharp left turn or coach rocks side to side when crossing curb.

I've never had a drawer pop open, though a couple of times I had the wardrobe cabinet door open by itself when the contents of a shelf shifted and slid against the door and subsequently out onto the floor. Repacking so that the items on the shelf couldn't slide took care of that problem.

Perhaps your problem with the drawers is similar, if the items in the drawers have room to slide around.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Back when AS switched to these drawers, someone started a thread dealing w/ the issue and there were various fixes discussed.

Protag: Ours have some type of hook mechanism inside the front of the drawer.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupchu9702 View Post
I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the drawers. Mine have those push button handles, but they do not latch with a locking devise. The drawers latch via a plastic open/close clip at the back of each drawer. They only use one clip per drawer. I find that the drawers with the heavier items such as cooking pots and pans tend to let drawers pop open when you make a sharp left turn or coach rocks side to side when crossing curb. I have had this rip the tracks for the drawer right out of cabinet.
Thanks
The drawer under my stovetop would come open occasionally when I first got my van. I did a slight adjustment on the latch which helped as it has not come open since.

You might be going to fast if it ripped the tracks out of the cabinet. The only time I damaged a cabinet was when I mistakenly drove over a 5 inch curb making a left turn with a center divider. Yikes!!

That really shook things up and one of the overhead cabinets popped open with stuff flying everywhere - not a good scene. I'm now more careful as any high speed corning maneuver can really get my van rocking.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The overhead locker doors can be tightened by tightening the spring on the hinge on each side.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Is this what you're looking for?

http://email.shipstation.com/wf/clic...6lZsyeFA2auCL6
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
It is important to make sure that heavy items in the drawers, like cast iron frying pans, are not able to slide freely, as they can really build up a head of steam, moving independently on their own, and their momentum can overcome the resistance of the drawer slides, which is mainly designed for the weight of a drawer with average STATIONARY objects in it IMO.

When taking a sharp turn, it does not take much for a cast iron pan to start sliding on the plywood floor of the drawer. Once in motion, look out . . .

Some kind of nonskid matting in the drawer bottoms helps a lot, and quiets things down as well in an Interstate. I swear the nonskid matting in our trailer does the same thing.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Not for the push-button cabinet types, but for the benefit of T1N Interstate owners, one word: Velcro. I run strips of it through the handles and bind the cabinets shut that way. It is particularly important with the wardrobe, which I bind to the TV mounting rack. The wardrobe will fly open and disgorge its contents without any substantial provocation.

I also use mini-bungee cords in numerous places inside the cabinets. Helps to prevent that head of steam from building up when objects start to slide.

Now if I could just figure out how to stop food containers from dancing in the refrigerator...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I also use mini-bungee cords in numerous places inside the cabinets.

Now if I could just figure out how to stop food containers from dancing in the refrigerator...
Mini bungee cords, of course! You've got wire racks in there to hook the cords to…
Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Mini bungee cords, of course! You've got wire racks in there to hook the cords to…
In places, yes. But little screw eyes in strategic interior locations can be used for this purpose as well. They don't have to bear any weight, just serve as a stopping mechanism.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote