Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #1

Redding , California
22 vs 24 feet

Looking into 19, 22, and 24 foot B-rigs. I'm a bit concerned about the length of the new Interstates. Is it reasonably easy to park or even stealth camp in the 24 foot Interstate? As in parking lots and city streets? Do you all take up two standard parking spots? How's that working out?
lchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hello,
It has been my experience that the longer the trailer the more space you have inside to be comfortable. However the longer it is the more space it takes up outside. As far as pulling and maneuvering a 24" vs a 19" there is the question of weight as well as length. Which brings up the question of you tow vehicle.

Bottom line, how do you intend on using it most? Urban stealth camping? (19'-22') range might be best. If you intend on cross country trips or just want more comfortable lodging perhaps something longer depending on your tow vehicle limitations and your personal needs.

best of luck
-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I pull a towed on most long trips, so the extra van length is not important on those trips.

I look for two end-to-end empty slots in the typical WallMart or grocery parking lot. It means a longer hike, but I need that. In most cases, I have enough length for the towed. I can always find somewhere I fit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahaska View Post
i pull a towed on most long trips, so the extra van length is not important on those trips.

I look for two end-to-end empty slots in the typical wallmart or grocery parking lot. It means a longer hike, but i need that. In most cases, i have enough length for the towed. I can always find somewhere i fit.

“toad?”

🤭
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
22 vs 24 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchamberlain View Post
Looking into 19, 22, and 24 foot B-rigs. I'm a bit concerned about the length of the new Interstates. Is it reasonably easy to park or even stealth camp in the 24 foot Interstate? As in parking lots and city streets? Do you all take up two standard parking spots? How's that working out?

It’s a difficult question, and one only you can answer.

How many (typically) traveling, what’s your intended application?

Ours have always been 24’ and parking takes some effort but i’d describe the van size as a “non-issue.”

Personally I never wish for a smaller van, but who knows I might love it.

Our van has one person traveling 75+ % of the time, and two travelers the other 20% followed by four travelers 5%

I wouldn’t avoid the larger van due to parking concerns.

Note: my family makes fun of me because (giggle) I sometimes place reflective parking cones on two roadside corners at night (black van) after two of our vans were hit by other drivers at night.

YMMV
Old 12-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
“toad?”🤭
The original term was "towed" according to my sources. Since it sounds like "toad", that has become common. I chose to use the original term.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
22 vs 24 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
It’s a difficult question, and one only you can answer.

How many (typically) traveling, what’s your intended application?

Ours have always been 24’ and parking takes some effort but i’d describe the van size as a “non-issue.”

Personally I never wish for a smaller van, but who knows I might love it.

Our van has one person traveling 75+ % of the time, and two travelers the other 20% followed by four travelers 5%

I wouldn’t avoid the larger van due to parking concerns.

Note: my family makes fun of me because (giggle) I sometimes place reflective parking cones on two roadside corners at night (black van) after two of our vans were hit by other drivers at night.

YMMV

Hate to admit it, but two or more orange cones get deployed on the farthest front and rear corners of my Airstream and connected tow vehicle whenever we park at Walmart or Cracker Barrel pull throughs and usually even in certain campgrounds when the roads are not well-defined in relation to the parking slots. And I’m talking a big silver trailer and silver tow vehicle well equipped with reflectors.

Heck, the 22 foot Airstream is in my driveway with cones on the front right now.

Not that I’m paranoid or anything. One noid is quite enough...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The original term was "towed" according to my sources. Since it sounds like "toad", that has become common. I chose to use the original term.

I love it !

I was just thinking about the first time, as an RV owner, I saw the term “Toad”
Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
22 vs 24 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hate to admit it, but two or more orange cones get deployed on the farthest front and rear corners of my Airstream and connected tow vehicle whenever we park at Walmart or Cracker Barrel pull throughs and usually even in certain campgrounds when the roads are not well-defined in relation to the parking slots. And I’m talking a big silver trailer and silver tow vehicle well equipped with reflectors.

Heck, the 22 foot Airstream is in my driveway with cones on the front right now.

Not that I’m paranoid or anything. One noid is quite enough...

ConeHeads, Cone People ... my kids are embarrassed and love to make fun of me. One van was sideswiped at about 9pm, on a dark rainy night along the Oregon coast. The van was hours old (just delivered) and the hit and run driver eventually caught my police a month later. Our 2014.5 van was clipped at night on the corner rear bumper. So now, I’m a cone deploying person.

Sometimes, well just sometimes, I’ll park in known no-parking areas and just toss

(er, uh, strategically deploy)

... couple cones while I’m illegally parked for lunch. I think (as an adolescent) I learned it from Columbo or the Rockford Files with the bag placed over the parking meter...

Anyway it’s been an effective and official looking parking strategy especially in the city.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	357874
Old 12-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
"Toads" are creepy don't want the hanging around my backend when towing.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
"Toads" are creepy don't want them hanging around my backend when towing.
Seems like just about everywhere I drive the AI, there is this little white Fiesta that keeps tailgating me. Must be a real short driver since I can't see anyone behind the wheel.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Township , Ohio
Being brand new to the RV world as of August 2018 I did not strongly consider the option of the <24' version of the AIGT EXT, for the amenities and space offered by the 24' version seemed to suite our taste well. Although a more economical cost factor existed with less length I continued to circle back the regret I felt I would feel if not opting for the maximum length offered on this model. The only driving adjustment learning curve I experienced was the need to allow for a longer "pull-out" prior to executing a left or right hand turn to accommodate for the long wheel base. For myself hopping the curb on a right hand turn in pretty good fashion was about all the lesson I needed to make the adjustment...LOL.
IMO the AIGT EXT drives like a dream and the inherent narrow body profile of this model allows for a very confident and comfortable driving experience...we love ours!
Good luck with your decision!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchamberlain View Post
WELCOME to AirForums! I have a 24 foot Interstate Lounge EXT now and it does require a space and a half when parking on most city streets next to a curb. Same in parking lots, where I always look for pull-thru spots. I've been traveling in my Interstate for over seven years now with no big issues. Having the extra space and weight rating of the larger 24 foot Sprinter is a real plus when traveling on extended journeys.

I'm now planning to replace my long Sprinter with a shorter B-van, probably a 19 foot Sprinter. As I've gotten older I don't make long trips. Now always less than a month and in urban/suburban areas, so a smaller van will work just fine. I also use my van as a second vehicle at home - so a shorter Sprinter will work much better for my future needs.

Bottom line - it all depends on how you plan to use your van.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Here in Washington State the ferry cost is a LOT less if the vehicle is under 22’. I measured my 2006 22’, it was just under 22 (less than an inch, but under is under).

Probably not a concern- I would think really only if you traveled on such ferries a lot.

I like the 22’, but certainly larger inside is always nice. I have not driven a longer one.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We have a 24' and have never wished for a shorter one - the extra room is just too nice. I have parallel parked into two empty spaces (boy does that get stares!) and fed two meters more than once. We always seek an outer space at WalMart or other stores and take two spaces - spaces that are strategically picked so as not to be boxed in by vehicles that later park close. It can fit backed into one space if there is room for everything behind the rear wheels to hang over the grass.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
We have a 24' and have never wished for a shorter one - the extra room is just too nice. I have parallel parked into two empty spaces (boy does that get stares!) and fed two meters more than once. We always seek an outer space at WalMart or other stores and take two spaces - spaces that are strategically picked so as not to be boxed in by vehicles that later park close. It can fit backed into one space if there is room for everything behind the rear wheels to hang over the grass.

+1

Couldn’t have said it better!!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
And now for something completely different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
We always seek an outer space at WalMart or other stores... It can fit... into...space if there is room for everything ...
As a fellow Iowan and space traveller... I read your entire quote and the "outer space" comment brings to mind THE best scenes in ANY of the "Star Trek" movies... from "Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home"

[after landing and cloaking a Klingon spaceship in Golden Gate Park]
Kirk: Everybody remember where we parked.

Dr. Gillian Taylor: "Don’t tell me, you’re from outer space."
Kirk: No, I’m from Iowa. I only work in outer space.

Ok, sorry... couldn't help m'self... returning you now to your previously scheduled thread...
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
22 vs 24 feet

Yes, oh heavens yes the best Star Trek scene ever!

And you can pretty much bet the locals wouldn’t make much of it, either.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is a 24-foot Interstate in the preferred parking arrangement of many of us who use our Interstates intensely and for more than just vacation purposes (in other words, are parking routinely in commercial and urban spaces, not just parks and rural locations). End-to-end parking spaces, Interstate with nose forward, unless we run the risk of getting someone PO'd at us for taking two spaces like that, in which case we might opt instead to overhang our tails.

Yes, that's an Interstate. This owner is a businessman who had it re-painted copper penny for his own purposes. He's here on Air Forums, but not frequently.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #20
Contributing Member

In most cases, I can get both the AI and my Fiesta in an end-to-end space with no more than a foot of overhang. I usually overhang the nose.

When I towed a smart, I could always fit without overhang.

The Fiesta hatch adds some really useful storage on longer trips.
WBCCI #9632