Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #61
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Beginner,

Good research on the Cooper tires. I found their 'Custom Trailer Plus' tire, which has a "S" speed rating (over 100 mph). They only listed one size, ST225/75R15.

I would like to upgrade to 16" tires, but my wheel wells are only 30" long and a 16" won't fit. The original tires were 7 - 14.5, Load Range F.

The next year (1960) Airstream increased the wheel well to 32".
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
An excellent site for tech info on tires is tirerack.com. Also if anyone is looking for a 7.00x R 15 LT tire that works well on the vintage trailers they sell the Yokohama RY215. I just replaced my present set with new ones. Great prices and service from these guys.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
This bears repeating, so I am posting a new thread. Trailer tires are speed rated at a maximum of 65 m.p.h. Beyond that speed, road surface heat combines with the weight of the trailer and tire disintegration begins.....

As I have posted elsewhere, over 100,000 miles logged towing & never a blowout

I personally never exceed 55 m.ph. while towing. Across the hottest and coldest highways in the country.

You may just want to slow down on the next trip. You will save on your fuel costs, your tire wear, and be much better prepared if you do have a blowout.

Please take a moment to read what the tire experts say below; and I suggest you read the Discount Tire trailer tire tips :

@ http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

Long-term fatigue can also weaken a trailer tire. There are a number of factors that accelerate fatigue, but heat buildup from towing at high speeds is one of the main culprits, according to Fry.

"If you trailer nonstop from Phoenix, Arizona, to Las Vegas, in 100-degree temperatures at 65 mph, you use up much of the resources of that tire, and you don't realize it," said Fry.

Fry is not talking about wearing out the tread. It is the tire's construction that is breaking down. As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken. Over the course of several trips, this load-carrying capacity gradually decreases, according to Fry. Incidentally, all ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

One key to extending tire life on a tandem- or tri-axle trailer is to ensure that the trailer is riding level, thus distributing the load equally among all the tires. If the trailer tongue sits too high, the rear tires may bear the brunt of the load: with the trailer tongue too low, the front tires may be unduly stressed.
Very interesting reading...especially the part about tire inflation:

Inflation
  • Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
  • Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
  • If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add 3 psi to the max inflation.
  • Underinflation is the number 1 cause of trailer tire failure.
My husband and I have a never ending battle about how much pressure we should put into our 2002 Bambi tires. The sidewalls say 65 p.s.i., so my argument to him is that they should be inflated to 65 p.s.i. when cold. His argument is that they should be 20 p.s.i. less than the recommended amount to reduce the bouncing the trailer does as it goes down the road over bumps.

Can someone act as a mediator for us? Its ok if I'm wrong too -- I just don't feel that inflating to 45 - 50 p.s.i. cold on a tire that recommends 65 p.s.i. could be correct. Do we need marriage therapy for this?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Can someone act as a mediator for us? Its ok if I'm wrong too -- I just don't feel that inflating to 45 - 50 p.s.i. cold on a tire that recommends 65 p.s.i. could be correct. Do we need marriage therapy for this?
As a rookie "Bobby" I soon learnt that acting as a mediator between fighting couples ended up with both of them attacking me! I would keep it simple, and use the Airstream manual's recommendation for the pressure. There is a thread here about a Bambi tire failure which may have been caused by low pressure
http://www.airforums.com/forum...out-5528.html?
Nick
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #65
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't want to get in the middle of anything either.

However. . .

The same web site, Discount Tire, and the same expert, Tim Fry, say that you can inflate the tire to the pressure that corresponds to the loaded weight of the trailer.

The only time they recommend you use the maximum inflation pressure is if you do not know the weight of the trailer.

So I would tend to agree with hubby, provided he based the lower pressure on the weight of the trailer, and the inflation charts; not just on his perception of a smooth ride.

Check at the bottom of this article, under "Maximum PSI?"
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...ionAnxiety.dos

. . .and here is the inflation table. It works for all tires of this size, not just Goodyear:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have the Super Duty bias ply tires on the A/S . how can I figure out how old they are ? is there a conversion chart somewhere ?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
how can I figure out how old they are ? is there a conversion chart somewhere ?
If you click here:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ot+number+tire

and go to post 4, it will explain about the last 2 digits in the DOT number.
Nick
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Maybe someone has already said this, however at 55 you can enjoy the view. As many have said, it's the journey that counts!
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
Just finished reading tire safety and maintenance reccomendations published by Rubber Manufacturers Associatin (rma.org/tire). They stress proper inflation and load and regular inspection for cracks, cuts, bulges and treadwear but found no mention of maximum tire life either mileage or age. RMA does reccomend that tires be inspected by proffesional after 5 years to determine if they are safe. with the liability the proffesional would assume if he said they are OK he is shure to say they should be replaced.
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello to all ,
I am in agreement with the idea of maintaining a 65mph cap as I call it on towing . i It has been stated correctly that st tires have a maximum speed limit 65mph. Is there really a need to do 80 pulling a trailer . I witnessed a fifth wheel sob doing 75 80 thru arizona on I 70 out on the flats , blew past next thing you know on its side in the ditch blew out a tire lost control . The tow vehical was capable of handling the rig chevy crew cab 3/4 ton . Too much speed and the tires overheat and come apart .It was very unfortunate and somthing I wont forget ,very sad . Tires can only handle what they are design for and the job they are designed to do.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #71

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
So far I haven't received any response from Discount Tire relating for further information regarding the statement that the ST tire loses 1/3 of its strength after 3 years. Obviously we would all like to understand how the term "strength" translates to issues like load limits, or other items relative to towing.

I did send the same question to Goodyear and asked an additional question again relating to the mileage design limits of the Marathon ST tires. I'll let you all know what kind of answers I get back.

Regards,

Jack
Well Goodyear responded and unfortunately they gave my question to a PR person who gave me this response.

"From: goodyear_cr@goodyear.com on 04/07/2006 05:02 PM
Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Tires are designed and built to provide many thousands of miles of excellent service but must be maintained properly. As explained below, the service life of a tire is affected by many factors that are independent of the chronological age of the tire.
Service Life is Not Determined by Chronological Age Tires are composed of various materials, including rubber, having performance properties essential to the proper functioning of the tire. These component properties evolve over a combination of time, service and storage conditions. For each individual tire, this change is affected by many elements such as temperature, storage conditions, and conditions of use (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, impacts and road hazard
injury) to which a tire is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the serviceable life of any specific tire based on simple calendar age is not possible. The Rubbers Manufacturer Association (RMA) is not aware of scientific or technical data that establishes or identifies a specific minimum or maximum service life for tires. However, in some cases a tire or vehicle manufacturer may make a specific tire replacement recommendation regarding its products. If so, the consumer should consult the manufacturer with any questions with regard to following the recommendation. Further, any such recommendation should not be considered a minimum serviceable life for the tire. (Bolded by jcanavera)
The Consumer Plays A Primary Role in Tire Maintenance The tire industry has long emphasized the consumers’ role in the regular care and maintenance of their tires. (Tire care and service manuals are available from RMA on its website,
www.rma.org.) Tires should be removed from service for several reasons, including tread worn down to minimum depth, signs of damage (cuts, cracks, bulges, vibration, etc.) or signs of abuse (underinflation, overloading, etc). That is why it is recommended to have tires, including spares, inspected regularly. A monthly maintenance inspection, for which the consumer must be primarily responsible, should focus on proper inflation pressure, tread wear and tire damage. This monthly inspection should be supplemented by recurring rotation, balancing and alignment services. This inspection should occur whether or not the vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system. Additionally, the condition of a tire should be assessed regularly to determine if there are any tactile or visual signs of damage that make replacement necessary.
Storage, Rotation, and Other Conditions That May Affect Tire Service Life Tires should always be stored in a dry, cool, well- ventilated place. Avoid storing tires in areas that are exposed to wetness, petroleum or petroleum-based products, extreme temperatures, direct sunlight, and/or other sources of ozone, such as electric motors.
Storage areas should also be clean and free of grease, gasoline or any corrosive chemicals which can deteriorate the rubber.
If a vehicle is fitted with a matching full-size spare tire (same size and type as other in service
tires) the consumer should follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for rotating the spare tire. When any spare tire is placed into service, its inflation pressure must be checked immediately. Consumers are strongly encouraged to be aware not only of their tires’ visual condition but also of any change in dynamic performance such as increased air loss, noise or vibration. Such a change in performance could be an indication of an internal condition that might dictate removing the tires from service immediately to prevent a tire failure.
In these cases, RMA recommends that consumers consult a tire service professional.
Adopted March 2006
Best Regards,
Mary
Consumer Relations"

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey everone ,

Maybe those high speed coopers can stay together much better than the current tires out there (marathons) .Hard to say ,still a matter of the tires being capable of handling the load of the trailer , not overheating which kills them.Id say if it is stronger somehow or more rugged in design ? Could work. and yes the new style metric sized tires are not as tall as the 700-15 as has been said . Would not work on my 60 trdwnd single axle and I have brand new leaf springs not rebuilt , The 700-15 hercules tires work great and look good .No problems yet have traveled 3000 miles so far with them .

scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1956 22' Safari
1972 31' Sovereign
New Mountain , Texas
Smile

If you ever have a tire on your trailer come apart you will forever be leary of old tires! I have towed from one end to the other of this good old USA. Towed Vintage Airstreams, antique autos and motorcycles. Been collecting Airstreams since way before it was popular. Have owned as many as 15 at one time including three 1961 Bambis at one time. I always carry new tires to put on the trailers when I picked them up. It is very sad to have the area behined the tires torn apart by an aged tire! My first vintage rally I had a tire sling off its tread and tear a gaping hole in my now beloved 1964 Globetrotter. Tried the ST tires and didn't really find that they held up as well as the Light Truck type. Not into arguments but just had to put in my two cents worth. From old coot in Texas and I always towed at speeds that kept me from being a nusiance to others.
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
This was interesting. While I did know the speed issue and have preached that topic myself several times on the forum, the point made

"In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone."

is quite interesting. I wonder how you equate strength with ability of the tire to carry its rated load? If we go by that guideline we would all be throwing tires away after two towing seasons.

Maybe I need to send a little note to that vendor and ask for some clarification of that statement.....ok I just sent them a note. Let's see what kind of response I get.

Jack
I think tire manufacturers have not made a serious product for us!
When you consider the standard automobile tire is speed rated for 110MPH and specialty tires are much higher rated.
In the 18 wheeler catagory, their tires are driven faster than 65 mph and seem to survive.
I am not advocating towing at 110, but I do think we should have better tires available to us.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy
...Been collecting Airstreams since way before it was popular. ...
What is the date that collecting Airstreams was NOT popular? Just curious.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #76
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
I think tire manufacturers have not made a serious product for us!~snip~

In the 18 wheeler catagory, their tires are driven faster than 65 mph and seem to survive. ~snip~
Been on an Interstate lately I don't doubt that 18 wheeler tires are speed rated, but I question for what speeds. I typically see tire chunks spread from one end the state to the other. IIRC in NC alone they spend almost $2 million a year on cleaning up the tire debris from the highways. Last night on the way in from Charleston I had to dodge whole sections of tires on at least 7 different occasions these are just ones that were in my lane, and doesn't include the other lanes or shoulders.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
When did Cordovan Tires go out of buisness?

The weather checked but otherwise pristine set of 7x15 LT 4-ply I removed (after a 1400 mile drive home) had a date year code of "9" which the dealer said was 1999 but I think 1989 is a better bet. When delivered the Cordovans had 32PSI and barely would roll, I boosted that to 42PSI after 30 miles and was impressed with 13+ (14 one tank) mpg on bias ply tires!!

Sams Club was happy to mount and balance ($36) my carried-in tires on my carried-in rims but I had hammered the service manager more than once about getting Marathon "C" tires from them which they couldn't provide.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
tire chunks spread from one end the state to the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Been on an Interstate lately I don't doubt that 18 wheeler tires are speed rated, but I question for what speeds. I typically see tire chunks spread from one end the state to the other. IIRC in NC alone they spend almost $2 million a year on cleaning up the tire debris from the highways. Last night on the way in from Charleston I had to dodge whole sections of tires on at least 7 different occasions these are just ones that were in my lane, and doesn't include the other lanes or shoulders.

Aaron
I have seen those tire chunks and I always just thought they were retreads coming off.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #79
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
I have seen those tire chunks and I always just thought they were retreads coming off.
They are, but why are they failing? Some are not retreads, I have seen several rigs either in the ditch or on the sides of the road with blown steer tires.(under current DOT rules it is illegal to run retreads on the steer axles) I am sure a percentage may have been caused by hitting something in the road. But I have a hard time believing that those tires on those big rigs are realistically designed for 80,000#'s at 80mph.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #80
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
When did Cordovan Tires go out of buisness? ..
They haven't...From their website:

Home About Us Industry Links Contact Us.awmAnchor {position:relative} TBC Corporation - Private Brands Division Friday, June 30, 2006
Cordovan® Tires

Cordovan® tires are distributed by TBC's Private Brands Division. TBC's Private Brands Division is the largest marketer of private brand tires in North America. In recent private brand tire surveys, Independent Tire Dealers rated TBC Private Brands Division products number one in six of the categories surveyed including Product Availability, Line Coverage, Delivery, Product Innovation and Best Overall Brand.

Cordovan® brand tires are manufactured to exacting manufacturing standards. They are second to none in the industry, including the "majors". With Cordovan® tires, today's Independent Tire Dealers have the opportunity to offer superior value vs. the comparable brand name competition - and to receive margins the brand names just can't match.
TBC Private Brands Division. • P.O. Box 18342 Memphis TN 38181-0342 • 1-800-238-6469 • © 2004-2006 TBC Corporation, Inc.
Home | About Us | Cordovan | Multimile | Sigma | Vanderbilt
TBC Corporation | Privacy Policyvar MenuLinkedBy='AllWebMenus [2]',