Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I don't think you would be worsening your towing challenges, but you won't likely be making them better, apart from the fact that the smaller box will encourage travelling lighter.

The Gladiator is more of a midsize platform, so similar to the upcoming Ranger. Should be easier to park around town.

One thing to consider is that much of your towing may be at higher elevations. Any naturally aspirated engine is going to lose power at elevation. The Ecoboost, or a turbocharged Jeep engine, will see less power degradation due to elevation.

I think the Gladiator would be a good match to the Sport 22, it is just that you will likely have to use a greater portion of the full rpm band, and that may be what you don't like about your current V8.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
Oops, forgot to mention my F-150 is the 5.0L. I don’t know what the tongue weight is, but yes, it has the towing package. Like I said, though, it does fine on the flats. It’s only on the steep ascents and descents that it struggles. Oh sure, I can punch it to the floor going up, or drop it to second gear going down, but I worry about the rpm’s when the truck is screaming over 5k.

Did I read one of the posts correctly that the Gkadiator has the same 4-cyl motors as the newer F-150’s?
It reads to me like this is more a problem of perceived inadequacy, rather than actual inability. Many gas motors will need to rev to make power when climbing. Some more than others. Turbo gassers, may improve the perception (like turbo diesels), as they make more mid-range power lessening the need to rev.

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs. Said another way, they like the idea of HP, but only know how to drive torque. Perhaps it comes form the olden days of less reliable vehicles where they regularly broke and overheated when pushed. Trust that if your Ford is in a good state of health and maintenance, it's been validated to pull the load. Let her rev and reap the rewards.

Diesels don't work less hard. People just perceive them to work less hard as they work with much higher boost and combustion pressures, rather than RPM. They absolutely are stressed, and stressed hard. Much harder than gassers which is why they need to be so overbuilt and heavy.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #23
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
It reads to me like this is more a problem of perceived inadequacy, rather than actual inability. Many gas motors will need to rev to make power when climbing. Some more than others. Turbo gassers, may improve the perception (like turbo diesels), as they make more mid-range power lessening the need to rev.

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs......
Agreed. The 2014 5.0 made peak hp at 5500 rpm. If you want to pull rated hp, that is how fast the engine will be spinning. It can certainly do it, that is what it was designed for, but one alternative is to back off and enjoy the scenery at something closer to 3500 rpm.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
Just wondering - your f150 does have the tow package right? My 2009 f150 with 116,000+ miles on it has no issue pulling our 2014 25’ fc.

Also, consider overall reliability .
..flat land in Florida...sealevel
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

There's a population of people that are afraid of revs. Said another way, they like the idea of HP, but only know how to drive torque. Perhaps it comes form the olden days of less reliable vehicles where they regularly broke and overheated when pushed. Trust that if your Ford is in a good state of health and maintenance, it's been validated to pull the load. Let her rev and reap the rewards.

Diesels don't work less hard. People just perceive them to work less hard as they work with much higher boost and combustion pressures, rather than RPM. They absolutely are stressed, and stressed hard. Much harder than gassers which is why they need to be so overbuilt and heavy.
Heavy? My cummins will pull down to 1000 rpm....computer changes the timing, less fuel...just pulls..just like the 500 hp cat in my Kenworth....stressed?...lol..my kw has 1.4 million and still doing good...never been apart either...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Heavy? My cummins will pull down to 1000 rpm....computer changes the timing, less fuel...just pulls..just like the 500 hp cat in my Kenworth....stressed?...lol..my kw has 1.4 million and still doing good...never been apart either...
Yes, heavy. That is not opinion. That is objective fact that diesel drivetrains are heavy. Upwards of 2x heavier than gasser drivetrains, weighing in at ~1000 lbs.

Heavy and overbuilt can be good things. Yet also bad. Namely bad for dynamic handling and braking.

Those are again, facts. Not anecdotes like a commercial Kenworth having anything to do with your consumer truck. I know some of you have a hard time understanding the difference between fact and opinion. Or how there are pros and cons to everything.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I pull a 28’ AS with 2017 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission. One of the things the new transmission allows for is a flatter horsepower curve over the rpm range. In other words you get more horsepower at the lower rpms due to the increase in torque and the way it is geared. I know the Jeep looks cool, but “cool” may also not have good resale. But I do think the Jeep equipped with the diesel would do just fine with your 22’ AS.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRizzuti View Post
Did I read one of the posts correctly that the Gkadiator has the same 4-cyl motors as the newer F-150’s?
Hi, the new Ford Ranger has a four cylinder engine, but I never seen or heard of a four cylinder engine in an F-150. New GM trucks have a 2.7 L four cylinder in their trucks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
HP to Weight Ratio. (The now-obsolete category. Engine power hasn’t mattered in ten or twenty years).

Braking & Steering are what matter. Suspension sophistication. Design of all of these. Low center of gravity. Short rear overhang.

(What a waste of posts above)

What’s the rear overhang on each? (Centerpoint of rear axle to hitch ball). As stability IS what matters. The JK was pretty much the best vehicle in NA in the overhang category. (Weighs as much as my 1971 Chrysler).

The need for a pickup should be determined. That gear or tools or what have you that is a permanent addition. All miles. Until the day it’s sold. Then the items which CANNOT be carried in passenger cab or the TT.

Driving around with an empty bed is outside design parameter. Pickups love to roll over. The type wreck akin to being gunshot: life-changing consequences (and a higher fatality rate). Only takes ONCE.

Putting a pickup ahead of an Airstream negates every advantage the TT brought to the table. The pickup will be the likelier source of having a wreck, not the TT. And it’s a higher risk vehicle for every solo mile. Why is that vehicle considered smart?(lemming-think).

(I love how the benighted jump in here with accolades about their habits and driving skill. Which don’t matter).

And here’s the other thing about the pick-up droolers : can’t be bothered to buy the correct hitch, upgrade to TT disc brakes, etc. The necessary bandaids.

Worse, can’t/don’t use a certified scale to set the WDH.

Can’t even get the trailer level (Job One with an Airstream). This is the highway default: truck dragging trailer which is bouncing on front axle. (No scale tickets? Then it’s you, too, reader).

Worst tow vehicle possible is pickup. And hitch rigging adjusted to INCREASE the likelihood of a loss-of-control accident.

OP, what’s the weight/size/shape of what MUST be carried in the truck bed? That’s what you must ask yourself. For if once hitched you AREN’T in the ballpark of 48-52% FF/RR weight distribution on the TV (always), something is wrong. Same for solo miles. SOLO MILES ARE THE DECIDING FACTOR. (But none of you understand what that means, do you? How it drives vehicle choice).

You all want to continue to act in a childish manner (feeeelinggzzz) have at it. Worst outcome, always, and turns what IS pleasurable into work. For nothing gained.

Gotta love all the ten & twenty year new guys who’ve never seen a heavier pickup they didn’t lust over that much the harder. But who’ll stand there open-mouthed when asked to explain, “why”? As they can’t. (Unless one believes ad copy is king, ha!).

Surely can’t be bothered to test any of it (if a few thousand around here, maybe a half-dozen bother. Lo, and behold!!).

“Oh, I’ll get a ticket for being overloaded! No, the limits are simple. If a crash, you’ll be cited for Too Fast for Conditions on top of other mistakes. Private or commercial.

Given the pickup jones, anything above 50-mph would be citeable given terrible vehicle choice, terrible utilization, failure to upgrade as offsets, and failure to set hitch rigging properly. You’re ALWAYS traveling too fast.

So long as travel conditions are perfect it’s those days of false bravado, and then ONE day — hell, a few seconds — conditions aren’t any longer good enough for a cripple.

Be sure to get that cripple tag hanging from the rear view. The mental category.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I guess I'm lucky, none of the many pickup trucks I've owned has ever rolled over.
Fingers crossed though as I have to drive to work today in the rain, I'll post later today how it went.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
HP to Weight Ratio. (The now-obsolete category. Engine power hasn’t mattered in ten or twenty years).

Braking & Steering are what matter. Suspension sophistication. Design of all of these. Low center of gravity. Short rear overhang.

What’s the rear overhang on each? (Centerpoint of rear axle to hitch ball). As stability IS what matters. The JK was pretty much the best vehicle in NA in the overhang category. (Weighs as much as my 1971 Chrysler).

The need for a pickup should be determined. That gear or tools or what have you that is a permanent addition. All miles. Until the day it’s sold. Then the items which CANNOT be carried in passenger cab or the TT.

Driving around with an empty bed is outside design parameter. Pickups love to roll over. The type wreck akin to being gunshot: life-changing consequences (and a higher fatality rate). Only takes ONCE.

Putting a pickup ahead of an Airstream negates every advantage the TT brought to the table. The pickup will be the likelier source of having a wreck, not the TT. And it’s a higher risk vehicle for every solo mile. Why is that vehicle considered smart?(lemming-think).

(I love how the benighted jump in here with accolades about their habits and driving skill. Which don’t matter).

And here’s the other thing about the pick-up droolers : can’t be bothered to buy the correct hitch, upgrade to TT disc brakes, etc. The necessary bandaids.

Can’t even get the trailer level (Job One with an Airstream). This is the highway default: truck dragging trailer which is bouncing on front axle. (No scale tickets? Then it’s you, too, reader).

Worst tow vehicle possible is pickup. And hitch rigging adjusted to INCREASE the likelihood of a loss-of-control accident.

OP, what’s the weight/size/shape of what MUST be carried in the truck bed? That’s what you must ask yourself. For if once hitched you AREN’T in the ballpark of 48-52% FF/RR weight distribution on the TV (always), something is wrong. Same for solo miles. SOLO MILES ARE THE DECIDING FACTOR. (But none of you understand what that means, do you? How it drives vehicle choice).

You all want to continue to act in a childish manner (feeeelinggzzz) have at it. Worst outcome, always, and turns what IS pleasurable into work. For nothing gained.

Gotta love all the ten & twenty year new guys who’ve never seen a heavier pickup they didn’t lust over that much the harder. But who’ll stand there open-mouthed when asked to explain, “why”? As they can’t. (Unless one believes ad copy is king, ha!).

Surely can’t be bothered to test any of it (if a few thousand around here, maybe a half-dozen bother. Lo, and behold!!).

“Oh, I’ll get a ticket for being overloaded! No, the limits are simple. If a crash, you’ll be cited for Too Fast for Conditions on top of other mistakes. Private or commercial.

Given the pickup jones, anything above 50-mph would be citeable given terrible vehicle choice, terrible utilization, failure to upgrade as offsets, and failure to set hitch rigging properly. You’re ALWAYS traveling too fast.

So long as travel conditions are perfect it’s those days of false bravado, and then ONE day — hell, a few seconds — conditions aren’t any longer good enough for a cripple.

Be sure to get that cripple tag hanging from the rear view. The mental category.

Slowmover's personal tow vehicle choice is a Dodge 2500(3/4 ton) manual transmission diesel pickup as shown in his public profile.Lol
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:

Slowmover's personal tow vehicle of choice is a Dodge 2500(3/4 ton) manual transmission diesel pickup as shown in his public profile.Lol
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:

“...why that’s genuine frontier gibberish.....”
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
“...why that’s genuine frontier gibberish.....”
So that's what it is? I've been struggling to understand Mr Movers posts for a few years and thought I had some defect in comprehension. Great thing about this forum is lots of smart people that make this way more than just about trailers.

Apologies to OP for the divergence.

oh and I managed another 60 miles in my pickup today without rolling . Fhew...

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Rotfl
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, someone on this forum has been preaching the same cr*p since before he changed his name to protect himself. He is the only one here that knows what he is doing and the only one here doing it right.

I would guess that over 99% of Airstreamer's on this forum have made it to their destination and back without problems. And with every imaginative combination of trailers, hitches, and tow vehicles Etc.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
So that's what it is? I've been struggling to understand Mr Movers posts for a few years and thought I had some defect in comprehension. Great thing about this forum is lots of smart people that make this way more than just about trailers.

Apologies to OP for the divergence.

oh and I managed another 60 miles in my pickup today without rolling . Fhew...
That’s a line from Blazing Saddles. It seems so appropriate here.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #38
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Okay, I’d like to thank you all for your responses. I think I have enough information now to evaluate/re-evaluate my situation, my options. I think we can close this conversation now. Much appreciated.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We pulled our 2016 airstream 22 FT Bambi with a 2014 Dodge hemi Durango Citadel. Our Airstream is luxurious, and this Dodge Hemi Durango Citadel has all the bells and whistle’s. A perfect match for Glamping.The eight speed transmission makes our adventures a joy .We now we pull a 2018 25FT International serenity . Have not been disappointed in the performance, or the ability to adventure wherever we like.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
There was a Jeep parked next to us a last month at Josuha Tree that was towing a similar size trailer to yours. It was new and a rental rig. He hated it. Consider wind noise for long trips and lack of torque even with a diesel. I have a V10 VW TDI with 560#
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote