Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #1

1993 21' Sovereign
kennebunkport , Maine
93 sovereign axles rim size and Timbren

I thought that I posted these questions earlier but it appears not.
1-For my 2018 Tundra TV, are Timbren Suspension kits recommended?
2- Will 16 rims/wheels fit a 93 21 ft Sovereign? A visual inspection of clearance with the existing 15 inch rims looks tight between the dual tires and in the front and back of the wheel well. .
3. If I stick with the 15 inch rims are 10 ply trailer tires a good choice.
3. I would like to lift this by 3 inches so that I can use it on the back roads of the Great North Maine Woods but both Airstream and Dexter Axles were of no help.
Airstream suggested that in 93 axles were made by a company that is now out of business. When I called Dexter they said look for the stamped serial number on the Axles. I found what looked to be a plate in the front left of the axle that could accommodate a serial number but nothing was legible.
Thanks in advance!
alderrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Fort Collins , Colorado
Sovereign 21 Axles/Wheels/Tires

Hi there - I don't have all the answers for you, but I have a 92 21' and I've been working on some similar projects. I think the 92 and 93 were the same. Mine has 2600lb Henschen axles on it right now. I had to wet that metal plate a bit to be able to read the words on there. My axles are shot, so I'm waiting on delivery of 2 new Dexter 2800lb axles. From what I've read, the bolt holes might not line up, so I might have to do some drilling. For your lift, I'm wondering if you would be able to use the standard Dexter 3" lift brackets? You might have to drill new holes though if they don't line up.

As for wheels, mine has 14" steel wheels, and I believe they are factory. Maybe yours got upgraded to 15" at some point? I'm replacing mine with 15" Sendels, and I'm giving the Michelin LTX tires a try. I've read horror stories of 10-ply tires failing. Based on my measurements, this combo *should* fit, but I can't try them out until the axles come in.
m shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Another thing, if axles are old they will not have clearance at top of tires as when new.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign