Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2022, 06:15 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Plymouth , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I also believe that the weight of the Diesel Engine gives the tow vehicle more stability towing heavier trailers. A 'counter weight' from the front end being lifted once the hitch is connected to the trailer as WD from the vehicle, built into the frame and engine.
I agree with your statement that the diesel lump acts also as counter weight. Near perfect 50/50 weight distribution on this scale visit while taking the AS on the ball up north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAB215.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	413775  
SVTRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:55 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most misinterpreted quote of all time
Actually it was Walt Kelly’s political satire of Perry’s statement I referred to. I don’t know about the history of misinterpreting Perry, but both quotes appear to be accurate based on the following source.

Cartoonist Walt Kelly, modified Commodore Perry's quote to, “We have met the enemy and he is us,” in a cartoon he created in 1970 celebrating the first Earth Day in 1970. The message being that man – from his treatment of the earth – is the planet's enemy.May 7, 2018
https://www.advisorpedia.com › we-...
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:45 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Actually it was Walt Kelly’s political satire of Perry’s statement I referred to. I don’t know about the history of misinterpreting Perry, but both quotes appear to be accurate based on the following source.

Cartoonist Walt Kelly, modified Commodore Perry's quote to, “We have met the enemy and he is us,” in a cartoon he created in 1970 celebrating the first Earth Day in 1970. The message being that man – from his treatment of the earth – is the planet's enemy.May 7, 2018
https://www.advisorpedia.com › we-...
Well it ain’t me. I always tow with a one ton diesel, have never had the need to weigh or calculate anything. My setup can hit 80mph on the shortest merge ramp in Detroit and stops great. If I had to visit scales every time I towed I would quit camping and take up something safer.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:24 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Well it ain’t me. I always tow with a one ton diesel, have never had the need to weigh or calculate anything. My setup can hit 80mph on the shortest merge ramp in Detroit and stops great. If I had to visit scales every time I towed I would quit camping and take up something safer.
If my RAM 2500 and a similarly equipped 3500 were side by side at the dealer I’m sure I’d have gone for the 1 ton. But there was slim pickings last year and order times were long. I’ve yet to do any mountain hauling, but so far the truck has been a great hauler. Upping to the 30’ GT will add some weight, but the numbers still seem to have good margin.

I’ve never weighed any rig I’ve owned except my class A and that was only because it was in the alignment shop and it was convenient to do. I’ll probably load my rig up like we’re ready for a trip, add some ballast for the family and dogs and head to the scales once I get it. It once I’ve convinced myself I’m not overloaded I probably will not do it again unless something drastic changes.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #165
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Is that 19-ft trailer the only thing you tow with the 1-ton or do you have another trailer which needs that big of a truck?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #166
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Sounds like it might have involved a tire failure, if you were an expert witness on the case. I would certainly agree that overloading tires creates liability. The laws are clear, the ratings are clear, and violating them sets one up to lose.

Sorry, but neither case involved an actual tire failure as all tires were still holding air and in one piece. In one case the trailer was overloaded. The tow vehicle had problems with vehicle control which resulted in a loss of control and a 2nd vehicle was involved.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We towed the 27 foot on and off the road since 2019 with no problem using the F350 Diesel 4x4. On the Ball... yet got the FBQ dimples up front.

This Spring... replaced the REAR TIRES on the F350 as they had more wear than the front tires just for safety. Your Traction Tires in 2wd will wear faster for good reason... they are the DRIVE TIRES on a 4x4. You are towing in 4x2 on paved roads... and on dirt Boondocking roads... vary from 4x2 for easy travel... and 4x4 with it becomes a bit more... iffy.

Yes... it costs to play it safe. Was there risk? Probably very low, but for the cost... it sure does not hurt anything to be conscious of your tires on the tow vehicle's rear tires.

We sometimes are in areas where 4x4 is prudent on DIRT Roads.

On blacktop... you can put excessive torque on the U Joints and Tires with too much traction in 4x4 when you do not need it. If you do not believe me... that is not my problem. It could become yours... soon.

We can go from 4x2, to 4x4 and 4x4 LOCKING HUB depending... on our judgment. We are very experienced, as it is a learning process. Accidents can be avoided on or off the pavement. Off the pavement... you need to be aware of more than traffic... as it can happen with a Cattle Hauler coming towards you with little room to spare. Whose Fault if you get side swiped? Guess... BOTH drivers... otherwise prove it was not your fault. Good luck.

Towing requires you change your driving mentality. We give everyone the benefit of giving them the Right of Way. Everyone... ATV's abound now in the Rocky Mountain dirt roads. Families of adults and kids.

The ATV Familiers are often more courteous than those towing a trailer. They most often pull off the side of the narrow road to the side or into the ditch... You need to watch the brush and tree branches. UTAH is an ATV Capital as the local families are large and all have an ATV from full sized to small ones... and all are very conscious of what is going on.

Never get too confident of your driving on unfamiliar roads, anywhere. Take it easy. Look ahead for dust... coming? Or going away from you?

Coming Towards You... find a pull out to make room so they may pass easily. They may not notice your dust from miles up the mountain road as the wind is blowing behind you.

You are more likely to be hit in a parking lot. Think of yourself as flying an airplane and having to look everywhere at once... driver and passenger. You get better as you travel.

There is no class on avoiding accidents. It is your classroom and time to understand... that avoiding others is the best remedy. Let them pass... layback... and watch them as they disappear. Maybe... find them on the side of the road... looking for their missing tires and trailer?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #168
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry, but neither case involved an actual tire failure as all tires were still holding air and in one piece. In one case the trailer was overloaded. The tow vehicle had problems with vehicle control which resulted in a loss of control and a 2nd vehicle was involved.
Thanks

Was the overload on the trailer in respect of the trailer GVWR?

Did trailer load distribution enter into it, eg the resultant tongue weight?
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Is that 19-ft trailer the only thing you tow with the 1-ton or do you have another trailer which needs that big of a truck?

Probably, but he would have a little harder time getting it to 80 on the on ramp.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I have a 27’ Serenity. I also towed the 19’ with that truck but sold that 4 years ago.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #171
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I have a 27’ Serenity. I also towed the 19’ with that truck but sold that 4 years ago.
Thanks. Makes more sense now, as a 27' would certainly benefit from the beefier truck.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Probably, but he would have a little harder time getting it to 80 on the on ramp.
I have no problem getting my 27’ up to 80 on the merge ramp. Not sure where the 19’ came from, sold that years ago. Pulled that one with a gas F350 😂
Old 04-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
I have no problem getting my 27’ up to 80 on the merge ramp. Not sure where the 19’ came from, sold that years ago. Pulled that one with a gas F350 😂
The 19' is still in your signature.(info on the side with your screen name)
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote