Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2021, 06:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Jeep gladiator for TV

I am looking at an Airstream Caravel 22FB right now. I have a Jeep Gladiator with the max tow package; 7650 lbs GVWR. Do you think this is sufficient to provide a comfortable margin to tow the 22FB with its 5000 lb MVWR?
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You’ll need to look at payload capacity and maximum hitch weight rating to answer that question. I know there are some Gladiator owners on these forums. Hopefully one will add to this thread.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
The key work here is “comfortable”. Do you plan to drive in the mountains? Does your wife freak out when you get above 3000 rpm on a mountain pass? (Hint: add your location to your profile.) Will you be traveling with three kids, a big dog and a VW sized grill? How far are you from a CAT scale?
It sounds like a nice combination to me. I wouldn’t invest big $$ in a permanent hitch (eg Propride) on the Gladiator until I’d made a trip or two, but there’s a good chance it will work. As Dennis suggested, check the ratings on the doorframe.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
I just started a discussion on Gladiator TV... getting beat up pretty bad by those who think you need a sledge hammer to hang a picture! I tow a 25' FCRBT with a Gladiator Rubicon... rated for 7,000 lbs towing. I added air bags to keep things level and increase payload... Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch helps a ton. I tow without water typically... but have when I know the roads are flat. I'm adding a supercharger since I'd like to hit the mountains next summer... so uphill no issue... downhill I will be extremely cautious [low gear and minimal braking].

I have read on this forum others who are towing with Gladiators... 25' seems to be the max. My biggest issue is mirrors. The 25' is wider than your 22, so I had to modify my clip-ons to extend out enough for good viz.

IMO you will be just fine... enjoy the Gladiator!
Jeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
I am looking at an Airstream Caravel 22FB right now. I have a Jeep Gladiator with the max tow package; 7650 lbs GVWR. Do you think this is sufficient to provide a comfortable margin to tow the 22FB with its 5000 lb MVWR?

Probably be ok, but you didn't say what engine you have. Give it a try. If you notice you are straining the Jeep I would upgrade to a truck.

What is the axle ratio on a Jeep with maxtow?
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
FYI - airbags do not increase payload. Many would argue that it's not a good idea to use airbags with a weight distribution hitch because raising the rear of the tow vehicle with the airbags partially negates the effects of the weight distribution hitch.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 11-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Depending on where your freshwater tank is on your trailer, towing with water in the tank might actually make for a more stable trailer. Yes, it will increase the overall weight. But it will likely put that extra weight low and centered, exactly where you want it to increase stability.

The way I see this, you're trying to meet three criteria here:

1) Not having more overall weight than your TV is capable of tugging down the road.

2) Not having more tongue weight than your TV is capable of holding up.

3) Avoiding sway and not having your trailer take the lead when coming down a mountain pass.

Item #3 is where having the trailer's weight configured properly becomes very important and where adding the ballast in the FW tank might actually help.

Some great videos online showing various models of all this in action.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
I just started a discussion on Gladiator TV... getting beat up pretty bad by those who think you need a sledge hammer to hang a picture! ...

This made me smile. Welcome to the tow police advice page. I never really put much into "tow ratings" as a stand alone guide. You need to look at tongue weights and how they have almost everything to do with payload weight. Manufactures come up with towing capacity taking into account the engine and driveline. How much can your vehicle actually pull down the road? More importantly, to me anyway, is payload. How much abuse can your wheels, axles and suspension and brakes deal with safely?

I tow my 25FB with a Tundra. The 25 has a pretty heavy tongue weight which helps with stability but really challenges payload numbers for us who tow just slightly within the numbers. The police will point out, accurately, that bigger is better. My trouble with them is that this is a decision that we all should follow. A 3/4 ton for a 23 footer is a must. Bring out the big tools to hang that picture. Diesels are better tow vehicles and they are, but do you have to have one for anything above 25 feet?

If you can set up your combination without the need for airbags and helper springs, then I would say go for it. Realize you might have to slow down on the hills but you should be just fine.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Doable? yes
“Comfortable margin?” no

I love jeeps but have never owned a gladiator. Typically, jeeps are not great for towing.

Payload is just as important (or more) than GVWR. I didn’t didn’t realize that until I got my Airstream and started towing it.

Good luck! -Arthur
turonueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #10
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Speed plays a big role, in other countries they tow with a lot of the same vehicles we have here but those vehicles are rated lower in the US, but in the countries where these same vehicles are rated to tow more they are also limited by law to lower speeds when towing. They also go with less tongue weight, which they can get away with at the lower speeds. I would venture to say that some of those "undersized" tow vehicles driven at lower speeds are just as safe or even safer than a big truck towing the same trailer at 75-80 MPH. I'm sure everyone has seen the guy with the lifted monster truck hauling a fifth wheel or 35 foot SOB at 80 MPH swapping lanes like he is driving a sports car.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
I have a 2012 Ram 1/2 ton 2wd with Hemi and 6-speed auto trans, factory tow package, and leveling rear air bags with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.; pulling a 2004 Intl. CCD 22’ that weighs 5640 lbs. with full fresh water and supplied for two nights.

Starting at 50 mph, I swerved left and right at 5 mph steps to 70 with NO fishtailing or stability issues. Stayed right behind me. Then drove 15 miles up a twisty mountain road and back down. Again, no handling issues. I had to adjust the trailer brakes down to 1.5 on my brake controller compared to 3.5 for a loaded car trailer weighing 7300 lbs. As was said, 250 lbs of water low down, in front of the axles, will help stability.

The only difference between your Jeep and my Ram is likely to be the distance between axles; a longer wheelbase provides more stability than a shorter one.

I bet you’ll be satisfied with what you have.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
Hook it up and hit the road............................. I have several thousand miles of towing my 25 without issue... except horrible gas mileage / but who can say otherwise???
Jeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Seabeck , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Probably be ok, but you didn't say what engine you have. Give it a try. If you notice you are straining the Jeep I would upgrade to a truck.

What is the axle ratio on a Jeep with maxtow?

4.10 Axles with Max Tow (same as Rubicon)

Max Tow Payload listed as 1765 depending on options. (This is a lot lower on a Rubicon or Diesel Jeep)
Fox-trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
I just started a discussion on Gladiator TV... getting beat up pretty bad by those who think you need a sledge hammer to hang a picture! I tow a 25' FCRBT with a Gladiator Rubicon... rated for 7,000 lbs towing. I added air bags to keep things level and increase payload... Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch helps a ton. I tow without water typically... but have when I know the roads are flat. I'm adding a supercharger since I'd like to hit the mountains next summer... so uphill no issue... downhill I will be extremely cautious [low gear and minimal braking].

I have read on this forum others who are towing with Gladiators... 25' seems to be the max. My biggest issue is mirrors. The 25' is wider than your 22, so I had to modify my clip-ons to extend out enough for good viz.

IMO you will be just fine... enjoy the Gladiator!
Jeeplover, don’t add the supercharger. I was warned by a top Jeep mechanic in Minneapolis to stay away from them. He knows four guys who have blown engines adding the super chargers. Unfortunately, the Jeep’s engine doesn’t like them. I would have done a Gladiator until we upgraded to the 30’ bunk. Such a fantastic truck. My F-150 limited did a great job towing my 25FB. Yes, I had tons of power, almost double the gladiator, though the glad has more payload capacity than my Limited’s 1,280lbs. Anyway, just deal with the hills with your current configuration and protect your engine and warranty.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
I tow a 23FB with my Max Tow Gladiator. I live in the northeast and have driven about 6000 miles with the trailer. Our trips have taken us to KY, TN, FL, WV, NH, and the highways in between.

I have a few mods which do deduct from my payload. I have measured the tongue weight when packed for camping with approx 30% in the fresh tank (which is in front of the axle on the 23) and the weight is about 580lbs.

In addition, I have taken the combination to the CAT scales - again packed for camping with the wife and I in the truck (I did remove the 60% portion of the rear seat to save weight) and we were right at GVWR. We were below GCWR by approx 1000lbs. And most importantly were below both axle ratings. Based on the CAT scale reading, I have about 11% on the tongue which is where the weight should be.

The truck had to work hard in the mountains of WV and NH - was in 3rd gear and running about 4000rpm - but it got up every hill while being able to maintain speed. Downhill was OK as well. Went slow and tried to avoid a lot of unnecessary braking.

I am averaging, per the trip computer, about 10-11 mpg while towing. Not great, but not as bad as i thought it would be. Also, I keep my speed in the 60-65 mph range.

In my opinion (and based on my experience) you will do well with the 22' as it is lighter than what I am pulling and with the Max Tow you will be within all the limits.
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"7650 lbs GVWR"

What does this number mean? Is this the maximum tow rating? Or the maximum weight of the Jeep.

What is the payload number on the door sticker.

What is the maximum tow rating and is it rated by the new J standards?

I would look for the tow rating.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

This is the maximum limit of tow vehicle + payload. The trailer also has a separate GVWR that is independent of the tow vehicle.

GCWR = Gross combined Weight Rating

This is the maximum limit of the tow vehicle + payload + trailer.

Maximum tow rating is another number that indicates the manufacturers' limit for the weight of the towed load.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 11-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - of the Max Tow Gladiator (at least for my Gladiator) is 6250.

The 7650 is the max trailer weight as supplied by Jeep for the Max Tow.

GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - is the combined weight of the Gladiator plus the trailer - - the GCWR of the Max Two Gladiator, per Jeep, is 12,800
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jeep gladiator for TV

The tow rating is a pretty meaningless number to me. It is based on carrying nothing in your Jeep. For example the tow rating for my Tundra is about 10,000 lbs. My 66 Tradewind weighs about 5,000 lbs loaded yet we are just under the GVWR and the RAWR.

The important numbers are the GVWR of the Jeep and the Rear Axle Weight Rating. They are both listed on the driver’s door jamb. Do not exceed these numbers. You need to go to a CAT scale to get these numbers when you are all loaded up.

Good luck, DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	407409
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
I have a Jeep Gladiator ecodiesel (Overland) 6,500lbs tow capacity, 1,300 LBS payload. Added timbren helper springs (replaces bump stops).
I tow my 2022 FC 23cb, about 6,000lbs loaded. Added a weight distribution hitch. it tows better than i expected, you will have no problem. The diesel gets 17.4mpg while towing (1,300 mile trip)
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote