Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Jack Pad interfering with Pro-Pride?

Considering a Pro-Pride and wondering about an issue I saw on a You Tube video on hooking up the hitch. In a severe angle situation the jack pad was blocked by the WD bars. My question is, has any one experienced this and is the jack pad on the Classic removable?
Thanks for your responses!
SS
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi there. I've noticed you've asked a lot of questions about the ProPride. If you haven't seen it - there's a HUGE thread on all things ProPride here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

It's a bit to sort through but some really excellent insight there.

I've never used anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. But I've run in to all the problems you hear about and with some time for the learning curve - I get it now. It was all user error [emoji3]

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi there. I've noticed you've asked a lot of questions about the ProPride. If you haven't seen it - there's a HUGE thread on all things ProPride here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

It's a bit to sort through but some really excellent insight there.

I've never used anything else so I have nothing to compare it to. But I've run in to all the problems you hear about and with some time for the learning curve - I get it now. It was all user error [emoji3]

Good luck and happy camping!
Thanks for your response. I did look at that thread and it is overwhelming at 104 pages. I am hoping someone will help me skip ahead.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I have run into the issue. There are spots, including my driveway where the TV/trailer angle is off and it doesn't take much to cause an interference with sway bars and the trailer jack pad. There is never an interference with the jack ram itself on my Trailer. The situation can be improved by pulling forward slightly after backing up because the PP will naturally straighten out somewhat. Also adjusting the sway bar jacks until the bars are loose gives some flexibility.

However it has caused enough problems that I ordered a removable extended Jack foot from Atwood (#82660) that I plan to install this weekend in place of the welded extension foot that came with the trailer. With it I hope to have an easily removable pad to get around the sway bars. I will let you know how well it works.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Unbolt the pad and use a separate foot that you can slide on or off the jack post.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
I have a 2017 Classic which came with a welded foot on a 1 foot extension that is lynch-pinned inside the ram. When you are at the site and there is interference, it can't be removed because the sway bars prevent sliding it out. The only recourse is to either straighten the TV/trailer angle or remove the extension ( not easy) before backing in. It will definitely help to switch to a removable foot
Old 02-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
I have a 2017 Classic which came with a welded foot on a 1 foot extension that is lynch-pinned inside the ram. When you are at the site and there is interference, it can't be removed because the sway bars prevent sliding it out. The only recourse is to either straighten the TV/trailer angle or remove the extension ( not easy) before backing in. It will definitely help to switch to a removable foot
Please let me know how it works out for you!
Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My 2002 Classic bought last January used did not have a jack foot at all. I had an extended foot I bought for my 25 which I use by drilling the jack ram and pinning it. On both trailers the extended foot is pretty low, so I always take it off when towing.

I'm looking at getting a Propride now so it sounds like my normal operations will be fine.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
You know, there are not many complaints about the PP or the Hensley other than price. You can worry about the little things with this hitch. Practically talk yourself out of this hitch, buy another hitch and worry or scare yourself every trip thereafter. I have 3 different top rated hitches and will not tow with any of them again.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Since we camp in tight spots, we've run into it several times. I am working on modifying the connection from the spring bar to the weight jack to a quick disconnect. In the event of a conflict, just swing the bars away.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you back at angle into any site, and you will, you will want a removable, or no, foot. We have had a few different ones, the best is the one we use now, a 10" piece of 4 x 6 wood block that I set under the bare jack post when lowering it. Never interferes with anything, and if I take off and leave it at the campsite we don't lose anything.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If you back at angle into any site, and you will, you will want a removable, or no, foot. We have had a few different ones, the best is the one we use now, a 10" piece of 4 x 6 wood block that I set under the bare jack post when lowering it. Never interferes with anything, and if I take off and leave it at the campsite we don't lose anything.
You make a good point. My thoughts are, if you can't lower the jack because of the pad, how can you expect to remove to pad. Well mine pad goes inside the the jack tube as it is adjustable. Other pads may be different.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

My setup has a jack foot that is not attached. I simply retract the ram all the way, and pick up the foot for storage in the TV. No interference even at extreme angles.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
I have run into the issue. There are spots, including my driveway where the TV/trailer angle is off and it doesn't take much to cause an interference with sway bars and the trailer jack pad. There is never an interference with the jack ram itself on my Trailer. The situation can be improved by pulling forward slightly after backing up because the PP will naturally straighten out somewhat. Also adjusting the sway bar jacks until the bars are loose gives some flexibility.

However it has caused enough problems that I ordered a removable extended Jack foot from Atwood (#82660) that I plan to install this weekend in place of the welded extension foot that came with the trailer. With it I hope to have an easily removable pad to get around the sway bars. I will let you know how well it works.
Quoted the wrong post yesterday, please let me know how the change works for you.
Thanks,
SS
Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

So far, with using the PP on two ASs since Nov 15, across the US a couple times for 6-7 months total, I've not had a situation where I can't pull forward slightly, or turn the truck, to deploy the jack foot past the bars.

It might be due to our AS size (we've had a 27' and a 30', both FCs). Since we're not exactly squeezing into little spots, I seem to have enough room.

This includes a very narrow spot between trees in Lake Altoona GA, and a site in Tempe AZ where the campground host was having a heart attack as I backed past her light pole. By 6".

If there is a situation where I *do* have a problem, my approach is going to be to use my bottle jack under the PP hitch unit to take the weight off the truck. I'd drive out as normal, the swing the hitch so I could deploy the foot normally. I've not had to do this yet though.

Given the advantages of a PPP hitch design (PP or HAHA), I'd frankly not tow with anything else. 'Buy once cry once' as they say.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Like MOJO, we took off the circular OEM foot. BAL tongue twister is the way to go.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Appears to be a lot of work to u hitch and hitch. .??
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Appears to be a lot of work to u hitch and hitch. .??

Not really once you learn.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Considering a Pro-Pride and wondering about an issue I saw on a You Tube video on hooking up the hitch. In a severe angle situation the jack pad was blocked by the WD bars. My question is, has any one experienced this and is the jack pad on the Classic removable?

Thanks for your responses!

SS

I swapped out the ram extension (that came with the pad welded) using an Atwood 82660 extension pad on my 2017 Classic. It fits like a glove on the ram and is perfect length. With this now my propride can be at any angle and I can get past the sway bars.

I recommend it. $16 bucks on Amazon
Old 02-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I swapped out the ram extension (that came with the pad welded) using an Atwood 82660 extension pad on my 2017 Classic. It fits like a glove on the ram and is perfect length. With this now my propride can be at any angle and I can get past the sway bars.

I recommend it. $16 bucks on Amazon

I am looking at that on Amazon, but am having trouble picturing how that helps?

Do you only install it when lowering the jack foot?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote