Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Issues with Cummings or Duramax diesel engines and or transmissions

I have read all the positive points for RAM and GMC/Chevy 2500HD trucks.

This post is strictly about the "other side of the coin".

The two questions I would like answered are as follows:

1. Has anyone who has a RAM 2500 or a GM 2500 HD with a diesel made from the 2015 model year to 2020 had significant diesel and or transmission related issues with either of these trucks. If so, provide some details.

2. If you had issues, would you buy the same brand again.

I know they are strong engines with good reputations - many people love their HD and stand behind thier brand.

What I want to know are the mechancical issues that owners have experience and if it affected their loyalty to that brand.

We are about to purchase a new 30ft Classic and need to do as much research as possible on the TV. I am down to comparing mechanical issues at this point.

Thanks for any information related to these issues you can share.
Lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Rather than anecdotal stories from here, there are several online sites with truck engine and drivetrain reliability and lists of primary issues with each engine. Don't remember them offhand, but the data is from large samples of experience and more so participating shop repair records. I suggest you look for this info.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
2017 Duramax, 40K towing, no issues other than a sensor in the windshield washer fluid tank. Would buy again.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
2015 2500 Silverado with 80k miles and no issues. Traded for 2018 silverado 2500 with current 42k miles and no issues. I order 2 WD trucks.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
BTW, it's Cummins.

No info for you're query cause mine is a stick shift.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
2016 Ram 2500, 50k miles. No issues except service 4WD message currently on. I'm ignoring it for now since we rarely need 4WD. Would buy again. I love the engine, transmission and especially the tow haul mode engine braking. Have towed both 2012 23FB (7k miles) and a large utility trailer (5k miles).
Taco Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Rather than anecdotal stories from here, there are several online sites with truck engine and drivetrain reliability and lists of primary issues with each engine. Don't remember them offhand, but the data is from large samples of experience and more so participating shop repair records. I suggest you look for this info.
Good advice. I got a 6 year drive train warranty just in case but I have not had any problems (except for an engine check indicator light which turned on for some reason and then turned off when I filled the tank with fuel-- I think they call it a vapor lock or something).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
2017 ram

no problems, third RAM, had a transmission go bad on my 99, 3500. Many people had the same problem. I wouldn't buy a Japanese motor in my truck, Chevy Duramax is a Mitsubishi engine
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My Cummins branded movable blade turbocharger failed in my 2012 RAM 2500HD three years ago. The truck was built in July 2012 and I purchased it new in January 2013. There is a chronic failure mode with that particular model turbo with many failures reported. It is a disabling failure that will not let the truck start. I replaced it with a fixed vane turbo and the 5.7L Cummins exhaust manifold and a down tube exhaust brake.

Engine system has been been modified by changing to a 56 gallon Titan under the bed fuel tank with a Cummins branded water filter beside the tank. After going thru the engine mounted fuel filter, there is a 2 micron Cummins fuel filter topside. Added FS-2500 filters for the engine oil and transmission fluid. Installed oversized differential covers front and rear for more cooling oil capacity. Have replaced front stabilizer bar twice. No transmission issues. Other mods as well.

Truck now has about 55,000 miles as it is used only for towing our two Airstream trailers. Complete engine and filter change every 5,000 miles. Oil is still cheaper than main bearings....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLBIJOU View Post
no problems, third RAM, had a transmission go bad on my 99, 3500. Many people had the same problem. I wouldn't buy a Japanese motor in my truck, Chevy Duramax is a Mitsubishi engine
No it’s a partnership between Gm an Isuzu of Ohio. You would rather roll the dice that Cummins block from Brazil doesn’t crack😀
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Bought new 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500.
At 30K miles, traded it in for new 2018 Ram/Cummins 3500.
Now have 15K miles on the 3500.
Have had dealer do routine maintenance.
Have experienced no problems whatsoever with either truck.

While shopping for the 3500, I drove a GMC/Duramax 3500 and was quite impressed by it. Reasons I chose the Ram over the GMC:
1. Ram gave me $5K more in trade in value.
2. I wanted a white truck. Rams typically come in white; GMCs typically come in black. I would have to have ordered a white GMC, pay an extra $1K for white, and waited 3-6 months for it. I ordered the Ram (at no additional cost), and it came in 6 weeks.
3. I really love Ramboxes and had failed to order them for my 2500 --- a big mistake. Obviously, Ramboxes (or anything like them) aren't available on a GMC, Chevy, or Ford.

I'd encourage you to consider a 3500 over a 2500.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecamping View Post
I have read all the positive points for RAM and GMC/Chevy 2500HD trucks.

This post is strictly about the "other side of the coin".

The two questions I would like answered are as follows:

1. Has anyone who has a RAM 2500 or a GM 2500 HD with a diesel made from the 2015 model year to 2020 had significant diesel and or transmission related issues with either of these trucks. If so, provide some details.

2. If you had issues, would you buy the same brand again.

I know they are strong engines with good reputations - many people love their HD and stand behind thier brand.

What I want to know are the mechancical issues that owners have experience and if it affected their loyalty to that brand.

We are about to purchase a new 30ft Classic and need to do as much research as possible on the TV. I am down to comparing mechanical issues at this point.

Thanks for any information related to these issues you can share.
I concur with BayouBiker that there are better venues for getting a sense of what can and does go wrong with these trucks; you'll only get anecdotes here.

Previously, I used a 2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax as my daily driver, in addition to being the Airstream tow vehicle. I only had 1 problem in the 5 years I owned it. One of the heaters in the DEF tank stopped working in the 5th year, and this was covered under some sort of extended emissions warranty. While not conclusive, there was one year that I only put 2000 miles on the truck since I was taking the bus downtown for work. Old DEF in the hot Houston summer might have had something to do with my failure. Who knows?

When it came time to upgrade my truck, I looked hard at Ford, Ram, and GMC to see what I wanted to go with. I spent a lot of time on the forums dedicated to the respective makes. While not an exhaustive list, my researched indicated Ram has recurring issues with clogged turbochargers and EGR failures. Ford continues to struggle with fuel pump and EGR issues. Duramax historically has problems with fuel pumps and injectors. All makes have similar problems with DEF injection and carbon particulate collection systems.

All makes are aware of their limitations and they are trying to make improvements. In the recent past, Ford had bearing failures and general leaks. These are relatively rare now. Ram seems to have improved turbo durability and you almost never hear about their transmission failures anymore. GM fired Bosch and selected Denso to provide fuel injectors and pumps. The current generation of each seem to have significantly fewer problems with the emissions reduction systems (although it's still a bit early to know for sure).

These days, I'm a GM guy--but mostly because that independent front suspension makes for a much better daily driver experience. I don't think you can wrong with any of the big trucks. Pricing is similar. Durability is similar. It probably comes down to do you want massaging seats or invisible trailer cameras? Do you want big headlights and massive front grills, or do you want a sophisticated profile?

The only thing I recommend is to spend a few dollars more and go for the 350/3500 option. The ride is the same as the 3/4-ton models for most loads, and you'll have extra bandwidth to bring along anything and everything should the need arise.

Good luck.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
No it’s a partnership between Gm an Isuzu of Ohio. You would rather roll the dice that Cummins block from Brazil doesn’t crack😀
Are you referring to the Cummins 5.9L "53" block? Here's a bit of background on that 1998.5-2002 an over 18 yrs old issue.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-to-me.220678/

My 2005 Cummins 5.9L has over 225K on the clock.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
No issues whatsoever with my Cummins.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #15
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I currently own a 2015 RAM 3500 Megacab with Cummins TurboDiesel, to tow my FC28 RBT and haul our two (down from three, unfortunately) Standard Poodles in comfort. I opted for the Ramboxes--which I really, Really, REALLY like. Sure I lose a little room in the bed, but it's not a big problem. I also have a hard, folding tonneau cover that I really like.

I have had NO issues with my engine, transmission or drivetrain, in over 40,000 miles. I did have a Maypop (Firestone) OEM tire blow out at the end of its useful like (i was trying to get an extra 1200 miles out of it and wait for the Labor Day tire sales--won't do that again!). I have Cooper tires on it now, and they are wearing very well, and are much quieter than the Maypops, which only lasted less than 15,000 miles.

I change my own fluids and filters, and have the tools to do so without making a big mess (though I had to return my Harbor Freight jack stands, and can't get replacements). It really doesn't take too long, (about 4 hours for all, with clean-up), and I get a look under the truck when I do so. Filters are about $110 via the World Wide Web, oil is about $60 via the World Wide Web, and having it done at the dealer costs over $900, more if you want full synthetic oil (which I use (Rotella T6)). I like saving money as much as the next guy, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty--and checking out the underside of my truck from time to time.

I did have the front steering linkage recall done--twice. But, that's it. At the same time there was a recall for the emissions system, and one for the turbo, I believe, and I've had no issues since (or before, even). I will say it seems like my truck uses more DEF than before, but that's totally subjective since I don't keep good records. And, I let a friend borrow it to tow his new SOB a while back and he drives BMWs as his daily driver and I think he considered the RAM 3500 to be as fast as his BMW--towing the trailer.

Anyway, I didn't want a diesel, but I have one. I was worried about the maintenance and DEF issue--but, honestly, they haven't been a problem. I opted for a RAM over GM because of all the bad things I heard about their fuel systems and warranty issues (most of what I read was about GM not honoring the warranty, claiming "bad fuel"--even if the owners had receipts from reputable fuel stations), costing owners as much as $10,000 in repairs.

I would have liked a Ford Super Duty but it didn't have the room in the back of the cab for the dogs, nor a Rambox-like option. I have friends with new SuperDuty trucks, and a couple have had fuel system issues (DEF and injectors, and low- and high-pressure pumps--but Ford has warranted the issues and made repairs at no cost to the owners).

I really like the creature comforts of the RAM. Heated and cooled seats (which the wife loves even more than I). Love the Sirius/XM radio for long-distance traveling. Love the heated steering wheel. Have used the 4WD a few times, and it's been simple and easy. Getting in an out of the vehicle is easy (and the MegaCab trucks have long step rails which makes getting into or looking into the bed easy). And, I do like the Ramboxes--a LOT. I like to have tools handy and accessible, and a rollout tray in the bed would have consumed a lot of height under the tonneu cover (more storage, but MUCH more expensive, too).

NO transmission problems--none. I know several people who have RAMs (2500s mostly, but a couple 3500s) and no one I know of has had transmission problems. We've all heard stories, and read accounts, but, knock on wood, I've been fortunate and hope to continue to be.

Maybe a little more than you wanted, but, no problems for me. I'm a somewhat conservative driver, but I do drive 70-71 mph when conditions and the limit permit. My fuel mileage this summer was pretty darn good--average of about 14 mpg for several trips in Wyoming and Montana, and across country to NH and back. (Did I mention how much I intensely dislike, loathe and despise I-80/-90? Especially near Chicago? 'Cause I do--but I was on a mission, and it was the most direct route--but hopefully never again.)

Finally, I traded for my RAM at CarMax (it had less than 11,000 miles when I got it), and I got a great trade-in price and a very good price on the nearly new truck (it was originally sold in Texas, and the undercarriage is nearly rust free). Very happy with CarMax, in general.

in the end, I'm a happy RAM owner with no issues to date--and hoping it stays that way for the next 250,000 miles.
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
On our 2nd RAM / Cummins truck. The first one (2015 3500 dually) had some problems with the DEF / SCR system, all fixed under warranty. Our current truck (2018 2500) is at 30k miles with no mechanical problems whatsoever. Very solid truck. Have had some minor infotainment system issues, covered under warranty but would buy RAM again. No experience with GM units, I was laid off by Oldsmobile in the '80's and have never owned a GM product since.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Chevy 2500 Silverado Duramax Diesel -

2016 -No issues, but ran into a deer and it took over 2 months to get it fixed and one window still had a whistle (never hit a deer way off the beaten path...and never settle for the local "I can fix-it" mechanic when they finally tow you out). Traded it in for 85% of our initial cost. We almost fainted when the dealer showed us the trade in value and yes, he knew about the deer and the whistle!

2019 -no issues at all

Would we recommend it again? You bet! And, the only reason it lost the battle with the deer is we were doing 65 mph and the big old buck got on the road, put his shoulder down and took us on. Took out the radiator, bent the bumper back, he flipped up into the windshield and took that out as well...then disappeared over the road edge into the mist. We were totally unharmed -albeit a bit deaf from the air bags but every safety feature on that truck worked perfectly.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
2007 ram 4x4...6.7....110,000 miles towing 30’ Classic...0 problems
2017 ram 4x4 6.7.....42,000 miles so far towing a 13 31’ Classic ..0 problems
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Search for high pressure fuel pump failures on fairly new diesel trucks.....super expensive, catastrophic engine failures are occurring daily......very scary
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #20
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I towed my 25 foot flying cloud behind an F150 for seven years. This past February I upgraded to a 2018 Ram 3500 parked on the Ford dealership in Scottsdale. I was looking at an F350. It had 60,000 miles. Just broken in!

Despite COVID I am now at 78,000 miles with nary a problem. My F150 was on it’s third motor!
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote