Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Question Buying a Blue Ox Hitch, buying question..

Our 25rbq is due to start build Feb 28, we have decided on blue ox with 1000 lbs sway bars.

When I called Blue Ox (was not impressed with customer service for very simple questions...but that is another story), the jist was basically, buy directly from vendors using our vendor locator and not amazon blah blah....

I was like yeah whatever dude.....I JUST checked before posting this, the dealer locator on their website is STILL broken....almost 2 months later.......they provided local dealers all around $800 or so.....while other vendors on 3rd party for the same product are around $6XX change.

I don't have a confidence problem in the product, just the advice since they can't even handle their own website data.

Has anyone bought via amazon or from a 3rd party dealer and had any issues? Any downside? Upside?

Thanks.
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
ETrailer.com has them and generally are pretty reliable. Their status of available in stock is sometimes wrong but you can call them and get a straight answer on quantity in stock. Good luck.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
Bwx1003

Hi Kitt,

Purchased a BXW1003 (underslung head, 1000# bars, clamp on latches) recently from Amazon with success. Be sure to get the BO model with the hitch head (BXW4012) designed for "underslung" couplers which come on the AS.

Also consider the ball and how you will get this installed. Need a 1 7/8" socket to get the nut on the 2 5/16" ball if DIY, or have a local shop do this. This nut will need to be torqued (450 ft-lbs for the ball I purchased) as well.

Amazon and etrailer both carry these hitches. Shop around for best price. Good luck.
eganwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	330773
Picture of my hitch, coupler is welded on top of frame. Standard or undermount option?
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
Hi Kitt,

Purchased a BXW1003 (underslung head, 1000# bars, clamp on latches) recently from Amazon with success. Be sure to get the BO model with the hitch head (BXW4012) designed for "underslung" couplers which come on the AS.

Also consider the ball and how you will get this installed. Need a 1 7/8" socket to get the nut on the 2 5/16" ball if DIY, or have a local shop do this. This nut will need to be torqued (450 ft-lbs for the ball I purchased) as well.

Amazon and etrailer both carry these hitches. Shop around for best price. Good luck.
So if I were to get the BXW1003, why is the 4012 needed? I'm not understanding why the two pieces? Isn't the one with the kit correct?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
So if I were to get the BXW1003, why is the 4012 needed? I'm not understanding why the two pieces? Isn't the one with the kit correct?
One kit. The BXW1003 includes the 4012 head. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
At the time we ordered our Airstream the dealer wanted $750 for the Blue Ox WDH, e-Trailer was around $600. I brought this to the dealer's attention and they said that they did not buy in the quantities the third party vendors did and could not get their price from the manufacturer, hence the higher selling price. Dealer said they'd install the hitch for an hours labor if I bought it elsewhere.

Anyway, ordered from e-Trailer and it arrived a couple of days before the Airstream was to be delivered. Unfortunately the e-Trailer box was missing the bag of installation hardware. Called e-Trailer, they said they'd send it, but no way could they get it to my by the weekend when I was to pickup the trailer. What to do? We had reservations for a checkout camping trip right after the scheduled delivery.

Called the dealer, they said no problem, they could install my hitch with one of their hitch's installation kits, and I could give them the kit from e-Trailer when I get it. So that's what we did. The dealer's techs installed the WHD while we went through the delivery process. They ended up not charging me any labor, and I took them the packet of nuts and bolts belatedly received from e-Trailer the following week.

The BO WDH has been working great, only problem we've run into is the little u-bolts that hold the chains to the bars occasionally rub the pavement in road dips. Bought some extras from e-Trailer so we'll be prepared if they ever rub completely apart.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had the same thing happen to my u bolts and BO sent me extra at no charge. Very good customer service. They have a very nice small town factory in Pender Nebraska with RV parking if you are passing by

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My AS dealer was also happy to install the BO hitch we bought on Amazon for a nominal labor charge when we picked up the trailer.

Know that because the trailer and tow vehicle isn’t loaded, the dealer’s initial adjustment of it will be way off, they’ll just adjust it until it looks level. Once you get everything loaded you’ll want to go to a CAT scale and expect to make some changes in the number of chain links you use in tensioning.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
My hitch coupler is on top as well and is not by definition a "underslung" coupler. Are there different ones on different Airstreams? Just curious. My 2014 and 2015 are same as pictured by Sheriff1 above. Didn't realize there were differences.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
I bought mine from Amazon & dealer agreed to install for no charge when we took delivery of our new trailer. I think On line prices were about $100 less than what dealer would charge me. They did a great job on installation.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
If you are decide on Blue-ox, you should check Amazon and Ebay for new and Ebay or Craig's list for used. I had a blue-ox and was never satisfied with it....had sway issues no matter how I loaded things. Went to an Equalizer and am now completely satisfied---purchased from Amazon and followed the installation directions to the letter....all is good. Good luck with blue-ox if that's your choice. Bill
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
OK. I see what you are getting at. I did not realize the definition of underslung is welded from the bottom. No, my coupler is the same as yours – welded on top.

I had this conversation with my AS/BO dealer in ’15 when I purchased my previous trailer (23D) and BO hitch to go with it. I was somewhat familiar with BO hitches, and I expected to get a BXW0750 (standard head, 750-LB bars), but the dealer set me up with a BXW0753 (underslung head, 750-LB bars). Why, I asked. The AS dealer responded that the BO “Standard” hitch head design produces a slightly steeper angle for the spring bars (more pointed to the ground) then the “Underslung” head. The AS coupler is somewhat underslung in the sense that it places the ball in a lower position than a standard coupler. If you use a “Standard” head the position of the end of the spring bar (where the chain attaches) will be closer to the ground for the same amount of deflection in the bar, which will give a higher chance of contacting the ground and scraping up the U-bolts that secure the chain.

So I went with the 753 and found the correct WD for my set up was to preload the spring bars with 3 and 1/2 links showing below the latch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
My hitch coupler is on top as well and is not by definition a "underslung" coupler. Are there different ones on different Airstreams? Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Thanks. I was just curious of the differences of 1) The Hitch Head and 2) If Airstreams had different couplers through the years. The steeper angle of attack makes sense. Also appears either could be used on either coupler style with difference coming in ground clearance and perhaps number of links you use for proper weight distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
OK. I see what you are getting at. I did not realize the definition of underslung is welded from the bottom. No, my coupler is the same as yours – welded on top.

I had this conversation with my AS/BO dealer in ’15 when I purchased my previous trailer (23D) and BO hitch to go with it. I was somewhat familiar with BO hitches, and I expected to get a BXW0750 (standard head, 750-LB bars), but the dealer set me up with a BXW0753 (underslung head, 750-LB bars). Why, I asked. The AS dealer responded that the BO “Standard” hitch head design produces a slightly steeper angle for the spring bars (more pointed to the ground) then the “Underslung” head. The AS coupler is somewhat underslung in the sense that it places the ball in a lower position than a standard coupler. If you use a “Standard” head the position of the end of the spring bar (where the chain attaches) will be closer to the ground for the same amount of deflection in the bar, which will give a higher chance of contacting the ground and scraping up the U-bolts that secure the chain.

So I went with the 753 and found the correct WD for my set up was to preload the spring bars with 3 and 1/2 links showing below the latch.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
Yep, I think you are correct on all counts. I purchased and towed my 27FB home from Boise with my cargo trailer hitch (BXW0750 / Standard head). Best I could get was 5 and 1/2 links below the coupler. Scraped the u-bolts at a gas station in Idaho Falls.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	330910

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
Thanks. I was just curious of the differences of 1) The Hitch Head and 2) If Airstreams had different couplers through the years. The steeper angle of attack makes sense. Also appears either could be used on either coupler style with difference coming in ground clearance and perhaps number of links you use for proper weight distribution.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Question sent to Blue ox
To: Blue Ox Customer Care
Subject: Standard or under mount on Airstream?

2012 Airstream 27FB, I’m getting mixed into as to use standard or under mount blue ox sway pro.
Thanks!

Reply from BO:
Thank you for contacting us,

If you have an underslung coupler on your trailer then you will want to use the under slung hitch head. A underslung coupler is a coupler that is welded on the bottom of the frame instead of the top of it. If you have the standard normal coupler on your trailer then you will want to use our standard hitch head.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need any further assistance J

Re: to BO
Airstream couplers are a little different than most, they mount on top of the a frame but the ball is quite a bit lower than the top of the a frame. All late model Airstreams are the same. I would expect you , or someone with a knowledge of the product, would know specifically which type is needed. I see mention on the Airstream forum that some are using the underslung variety. The generic answer really doesn’t do it for me.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Great question to direct to BO. I actually have a ProPride on my trailer which I absolutely love. However, I had two bearings go out on a lengthly trip and needed a hitch quickly and bought a BO for the standard, not underslung coupler. It worked flawlessly for the time I had it on my rig and am now moving it to my daughters trailer to get rid of the Equalizer hitch she has on it. I think as previously mentioned it's all in the angle of the hitch head, but would love to see the actual answer from BO. Thanks for questioning this for all of us.

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Question sent to Blue ox
To: Blue Ox Customer Care
Subject: Standard or under mount on Airstream?

2012 Airstream 27FB, I’m getting mixed into as to use standard or under mount blue ox sway pro.
Thanks!

Reply from BO:
Thank you for contacting us,

If you have an underslung coupler on your trailer then you will want to use the under slung hitch head. A underslung coupler is a coupler that is welded on the bottom of the frame instead of the top of it. If you have the standard normal coupler on your trailer then you will want to use our standard hitch head.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need any further assistance J

Re: to BO
Airstream couplers are a little different than most, they mount on top of the a frame but the ball is quite a bit lower than the top of the a frame. All late model Airstreams are the same. I would expect you , or someone with a knowledge of the product, would know specifically which type is needed. I see mention on the Airstream forum that some are using the underslung variety. The generic answer really doesn’t do it for me.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
ETrailer are good people. Just about any questions you might have they would be able to answer. I’d buy from them.

That being said, I’ve also bought similar items from amazon where I didn’t have any questions, for instance my B&W gooseneck hitch that i self installed.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #19

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
ETrailer are good people. Just about any questions you might have they would be able to answer. I’d buy from them.

That being said, I’ve also bought similar items from amazon where I didn’t have any questions, for instance my B&W gooseneck hitch that i self installed.

Sent the same question to Etrailer, no response yet.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
BO from Amazon

I bought my BO with 1000 lbs bars from Amazon Services, Inc. ($530 w/ free shipping) when I got my 2005 Safari 25 almost two years ago. No issues with delivery, condition or self-installation. Went very well. Confirmed tongue weight, truck and trailer axle weights at CAT scale. Have towed about 11,000 mi with no problems.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote