Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Do search this question was just asked and the answer is 3/4 or 1 ton is was better at that size. Payload is the gotcha.
Do you mean Posted payload on the sticker that can be manipulated by the manufacturer to meet license regulations and emission requirements or calculated based on Axle axle ratings and TV actual weight?
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Do you mean Posted payload on the sticker that can be manipulated by the manufacturer to meet license regulations and emission requirements or calculated based on Axle axle ratings and TV actual weight?

Whatever you want it to mean, just remember it’s the posted legal limit which can have implications in case of an accident.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
What does reinforcing the hitch do to help the suspension, braking, and cooling systems?
In 2012 we purchased our first AS a 2012 International. Reading an article by CANAM in the AS periodical I was intrigued by their suggestion that one can tow with a Dodge minivan.
Being in the road construction business I struggled daily with proper loading of our dump trucks both for safety and to avoid thousands of dollar fines I contacted CANAM and asked how do they get around the payload issues when modifying hitch configurations.
I am still awaiting their response.
I began towing with a half ton back than however it didn't take me long to get tired of the bullying by the trailer after we upgraded to our current 30' Classic.
These threads invariably get started by folks who try to tow the biggest and heaviest trailer with their daily driver and are seeking affirmative comments. Completely ignoring the vast majority of experienced people who by their own trial and error always go to a more capable and safer TV.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Every single tow vehicle thread that is posted on this Forum inevitably comes down to the big truck guys dominating the conversation.

In this case, the OP stated he is looking for a capable 1/2 ton truck to tow his new trailer. He even posted an example of a vehicle that he thought could do the job. Seconds after he hit “send”, he was told he couldn’t do it.

The classics:

“The tail wagging the dog”
“Don’t even know it’s there”
“The brakes! The suspension! The hitch!”

Then you get the physics professors explaining what has been done, safely, for years, can’t have been done.

I have a 5/8 ton now. A fine vehicle. But, I towed my 1986 31’ Sovereign over 80,000 miles, through all the lower 48 states, in all kinds of weather, with a 2004 Nissan Titan 1/2 ton. I never had trouble starting, climbing decending or stopping. Never a “white knuckle moment”

My only limitation was payload. I had to limit what I carried.

But, apparently, it must have been my imagination. I actually died when my trailer rolled over on a van full of trail lawyers.

The OP can, and hopefully will, find a variety of 1/2 ton trucks that, properly configured, will safely see home through.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Every single tow vehicle thread that is posted on this Forum inevitably comes down to the big truck guys dominating the conversation.
I used to follow the Escapees group. Over there is was the same dynamic only every truck thread was quickly dominated by the HDT group. Same blowhard tactics, nothing was safe except HDTs. Intelligent discussion of anything but HDT was impossible.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #66
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
There is no law against exceeding a TV's sticker 'payload'.
GVWR, you bet

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I didn't realize anyone here was "dominating the conversation". There are facts based on hard numbers and there are opinions based on subjective experience. It's important to differentiate one from the other.

In any event, it seems people are trying to share both their facts and their opinions in an effort to be helpful. As far as I can see, "domination" doesn't appear to be the goal.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pleasant hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
superChop hits it

* Gross combined vehicle weight rating
* rear axle max rating
* payload
* max tow is not as high a priority as the above weights, since all OEM's claim very large max to

A 30 foot International has at least 1000+lb tongue weight. Subtract that from your payload. Add two adults and the dog you could be left with little left.
Don’t forget to add the weight of your sway bars when you calculate your tongue weight. 3/4 ton + all the way for something that big/heavy. You never want to be close to manufacturer max specs on something like this as road conditions will push you into an unsafe margins pretty easily.
SergioNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioNorCal View Post
You never want to be close to manufacturer max specs on something like this as road conditions will push you into an unsafe margins pretty easily.
No offense, Sergio, but this is the kind of statement that drives me nuts. Completely fact free. If I am within manufacturer's limits, what is it about road conditions that the manufacturer forgot to address?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Sulphur , Louisiana
I towed my 2020 Serenity 28RBT with my 2014 Tundra for 3000 miles through Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado with minimal issues. Pulled through some interesting passes and sensed no need for different tow vehicle. Came home and bought a 2020 just like my old one. No doubt an increase in chassis size would add payload; I didn’t want to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck all the time. There are much more experienced persons on this forum, however, I submit a personal assessment.
rd1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pleasant hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
No offense, Sergio, but this is the kind of statement that drives me nuts. Completely fact free. If I am within manufacturer's limits, what is it about road conditions that the manufacturer forgot to address?
Thanks for calling out my statement, i neither prefaced it correctly nor really explained my point.

Preface: I’m new at this so I don’t have the decades of experience. I’ve done my homework and am a science geek, so my argument is based on basic science and extensive research. But that does not an expert make...

If you are riding the max capacity of any of the specs at rest, when you are in motion the forces you apply to the rig change. Coming downhill you have the weight and momentum to deal with, for example, so your brakes have more stress on them than you would on flat ground. Bouncing up and down on some potholes will add force to the hitch and thus the effective weight tongue weight. So what I’m trying you say is that the specs are based on calculations, but the real world effect that the weight and motion have alter the true weight relationships of your rig as you go. I always strive , if possible to build in margins for the unexpected, and when my trailer does something I didn’t predict I know it is because the external forces applied to the rig are overcoming some assumed stability I thought I had.

I do think this can be mitigated safely even with a 1/2 ton if you build in enough margin for error, but I erred on the 3/4 ton truck after I saw how much more a real tongue weight is when you put it on a truck scale - I didn’t want to drive within my safety margin.

That is how I came to the bigger truck; but I know folks who have driven large rigs with 1/2 ton trucks for years without issue, so I admit I took a conservative view of TV capabilities.
SergioNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
To add to Sergio's points, since the max limits put the vehicle and trailer system at the margins for handling stability, there is not much margin for unusual road conditions. The sway test is run at 62 mph and uses a steering impulse to initiate a yaw response but a winding steep downgrade in crosswinds will be more severe and if one is traveling near or above 62 with max load, this will be a big problem. I can make similar arguments for other situations but Sergio's suggestion to stay away from the limits is very sound.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #73

2005 30' Classic
Bay City , TEXAS
I pull a lot of different trailers such as loaded cattle trailers, boats, 36' floats with tractors on flat land with no issues. I recently took my 30' AS Classic to Ouary, Colorado and had my eyes opened to the amount of power required to go up steep grades and the importance of transmission and exhaust braking coming down those steep grades. I drive a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra Denali HD and thought this trip would be a piece of cake. When I was buying my truck the difference between the gas and Diesel engine was $9K, hence I settled on a gas engine. I pull various trailers several times a week and have had no issues until facing mountains with steep grades. Until this trip I hadn't realize the difference in engine power and exhaust braking I gave up by not having a Diesel engine. Therefore, I'm also in the market for a new truck. I have done a good deal of research on different trucks since returning from the trip. There are many good YouTube videos comparing different trucks. The comparisons look at horse power, engine torque, Gasoline and Diesel engines.
Presently Ford offers the truck with the most HP, Torque, and payload capacity. However, each brand of vehicles has their following and maybe capable of pulling anything most would put behind them. However, I'm leaning towards the 2021 F250 or F350 diesel. This appears to be the best of the lot as far as HP, Torque, and Capacity.
Keep in mind a 30' AS is a big heavy bumper pull trailer, that requires a heavy duty truck with plenty of power to safely control the trailer.
safe travels
WesRoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
3/4 ton of any of the big three.
Don't kid yourself.
Your kidding yourself if you think and do it with a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton it's a way to go. At this point 3 years into only a 3/4 ton I would go with F350 for the extra payload. If you have money to waste go with the half ton but it won't do the job.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
cost of two truck

Buy a 1/2 ton, the another truck 3 years later? Lose 5k, 10k, or more. Wow, I've got some land in Florida for sale.

My daily driver is a 3/4,

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #76
TUW
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
They can be found

We bought a F150, max tow, with the 36 gallon fuel tank and towing mirrors in May- the dealer (Kendall Ford in Meridian) did have to look around, but did find a couple and we did not have to order.
TUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:16 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Canton , Georgia
You need to look at the Chevy 1500 Silverado with the 6.2 liter gas with max tow package. First time pulling my 30 ft Classic, the rear end was too soft. Added airbags to help rear end and now it pulls great! Just remember that the airbags do not raise tow rating.
Airstreamdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I don't know what people are missing. The best 1/2 ton is not a 3/4 ton.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
My suspicion is that there is no such thing as a best 1/2 ton for 30 and up trailers. There are no "good" 1/2 tons for that matter. There are some adequate 1/2 tons, but in general, if one has the option, 3/4 tons are best relative to 1/2 tons.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
My suspicion is that there is no such thing as a best 1/2 ton for 30 and up trailers. There are no "good" 1/2 tons for that matter. There are some adequate 1/2 tons, but in general, if one has the option, 3/4 tons are best relative to 1/2 tons.
Hogwash!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote