Old 09-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Hitch recommendations

We just got a 2019 Flying Cloud 19cb and probably getting a new Tundra to tow it. What would the safest/best hitch for this combo? Thanks in advance!

Ken
kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
A very hotly debated topic.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Buckle up for the variety of opinions you're about to get. This is a hotly debated topic. I'll just share our experience. We have a BlueOx SwayPro and used that in combination with a Tundra for a year and a half. We didn't have any issues, find the hitch easy to use, and didn't experience sway. It successfully distributed weight to the front axle. We recently changed tow vehicles but are still using the BlueOx and have no plans to change any time soon. Welcome to the forum!
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
A lot of us use the Equal-I-zer system. Not fancy, but it gets the job done. Your combo will not require any extreme solution.
GetawA-S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Yep. The hitch wars begin. Put it this way there are as many opinions on this as there are available hitches.
1) Get a hitch that properly distributes weight.
2) Get a hitch that is easy for you to adjust and can be adjusted.
3) Get a hitch that has at least sway control.

Due to the size of your trailer, sway will not be as big of an issue. And hitch weight will not be difficult to distribute.

Don’t get the cheapest hitch. In this area you get what you pay for. Blue Ox, Reese, Anderson, are 3 very common hitches that would probably work just fine.

I have a Propride, but you don’t need that. I believe Propride does make a hitch for a smaller trailer. But I don’t really think you will find it necessary.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Is that it? Where is the scathing debate? I was looking forward to a long repetitive thread.

Ditto on the Equal-i-zer Hitch. Plus it has a lifetime warranty, which I used once while stuck at Disneyland. You won't need very muhc WD...perhaps only 10000# model.

Welcome to the group!
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Others have already implied this but with the 19' trailer, you don't want or need a lot. Best is one that is forgiving so it does not beat up the trailer. It should have good to excellent sway support depending on how relaxed you are as a driver. It should be easy to use and have a shank design that keeps the ball close to the bumper (except hensley and propride, they are in different class). If you are annoyed by snaps and pops then there are a few friction and cam designs you may want to avoid.

If you have a new style coupler (not the marvel Atwood 88xxx series) the Andersen is a very good choice. If you have the old style coupler you need to take some steps to overcome some "issues" you may not want to hastle with that but if you are a tinkerer maybe so, ask about it. The Hensley Cub is top of the line but it's also overkill. If you drive white knuckle it is perfect for you. The Equalizer is an excellent performer, but it's too stiff. Blue Ox ( I have one) is middle of the road and it is heavier than what you need. EAZ Lift, Reese, etc are all good choices.

Honestly there are a lot of good ones for your situation and a few that are less than ideal...... Find one you think you like and ask if its a good fit.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
We have ended up with a 2020 F150 with 3.5 eco and max towing and after looking at install manuals I'm getting an Equalizer hitch. Should be more than enough capacity, towing and payload. Thanks for all the assistance!

Ken
kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
To each their own, but as I mentioned the Equalizer bars are excessively stiff for the 19'trailer and will add unneeded stress on it. The bars are stiff because of the design. If you like the friction principles, Blue Ox and EAZ Lift and Reese offer knock offs to that principle but have more forgiving bar designs.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

Don't scrimp, buy quality.
You have a lot is invested already in the new AS.

Just as important as what you buy is how it's installed and set-up.
Don't over-hitch, use the proper rated bars for the weight that needs to be transferred. The more compliant the connection between TV & AS the less chance for AS damage with a safer and more comfortable towing experience.

Disclaimer...we use a Hensley Arrow, 17 Seasons of AAA+ towing.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Bad news for some: I didn't use any form of hitch from Salt Lake City to West Yellowstone then to Los Angeles. I felt slight movement during strong winds but none from passed/passing 18 wheelers. I did a proper internal weight distributing placement in the FC (heavy stuff up front between axle and tongue while light stuff in rear area. the Explorer did superbly in towing the new to me 2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB. I use only one propane tank to help lessen tongue weight.

Goal: install 2 lithium batteries to replace heavy AGM batteries to take off 60 lbs. I even took out dead weight stuff that I used in 16 Bambi and already put in the stuff that I WILL ALWAYS use in 19' FC.

If you want WDH, go for it.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Just know that as you reduce tongue weight, sway tendency increases.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Just know that as you reduce tongue weight, sway tendency increases.
True if too much... That is what I am watching out for. explorer tongue weight is 500, so I have to reduce 50 since FC is 550. I weighted the tongue. its but under 500 ATM. Until I change the batteries to Lithium which takes out 60 lbs, then I can fill both propane tanks.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
good to hear you have a solid rationale to reduce tongue weight. do realize the tongue limit applies best at max towing limit as you back away from the 5000 towing limit true tongue limit increases so at 4500 lb the tongue limit is north of 550 lb, so you don't have to sweat it too much. Another way to give you more margin is to add 5-7 psi to the rear tires and remove 2 from the front. the weight guidance is to avoid oversteer, and making the pressure adjustments will give you more margin in that respect.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
good to hear you have a solid rationale to reduce tongue weight. do realize the tongue limit applies best at max towing limit as you back away from the 5000 towing limit true tongue limit increases so at 4500 lb the tongue limit is north of 550 lb, so you don't have to sweat it too much. Another way to give you more margin is to add 5-7 psi to the rear tires and remove 2 from the front. the weight guidance is to avoid oversteer, and making the pressure adjustments will give you more margin in that respect.
Thanks I just can do that...

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 10-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I checked out the Hensley Hitch website. Their videos are really impressive!!! Obviously an older video but to see that little sedan pull that huge Airstream was cool.
As a kid I remember seeing lots of people towing their Airstream with Cadillacs. But these days all I hear is that people need a semi tractor to tow their 19' safely. Obviously exaggerating to make the point. But I know that not to be true from years ago. Really enjoyed reading the posts. Thanks!
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Marketing can make controlled situations look impressive. Not to take anything that is due away from the Hensley design, when towing straight the design will effectively prevent sway initiation, but that is not the case on sharp corners particularly on steep downgrades in crosswinds so it is always good to have a vehicle with some heft and wheelbase to manage the trailer. Smaller vehicles for smaller trailers and larger vehicles for larger trailers. The older trailers were much lighter than modern ones and towing speeds were much slower also. Speed is by far the most important factor in towing stability.