Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
I have an f150 xlt 4x4 with max tow and Heavy duty payload pkg. My truck has just shy of 2500 payload which beats out some fully loaded f250s. I wouldn't get a 1/2 ton with a diesel since that heavy diesel takes away from your payload.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD This is a gas 5.6. 400 hp 413 torque. Longer wheel base.

5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
Some where between a 1/2 & 3/4 ton Pick up

2390 payload
11,040 pound tow
Wheel base 151.8
The XD comes with all the tow equip standard.

Every convenience and option know to man. Most are standard.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding. I have a 2017 and have not had one problem.

I love mine it is a civilized beast.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Do yourself a favor. Either buy a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. I pulled our 30 with a 1/2 ton crew cab Chevy with a 402 in it on our first camping trip. The second trip we had a 3/4 ton Duramax. Nuff said.
26 gal tank and 8 mpg, 1/2 ton diesel??
The tail will wag the 1/2 ton dog. Look at the suspension and drive train of both the 1/2 and 3/4 then ask yourself just how much control do I want to have over that 4 tons bearing down on me from behind.
As noted above a 1/2 ton will pull a 30 classic, a 30 FC just fine. There is an old time advertisement with one being pulled by a bicycle also.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
I currently tow a 30’ International with a 2020 Ram 2500.

My truck weighs 7184# empty. With my wife and I (about 300# combined), half tank (about 15 gal) of gas, a shell on the bed, some bikes and tools in the back (plenty of room for more), plus tongue weight my truck shows 9320# on the axles. That’s 2136# of payload.

If you plan to pack a lot of stuff, happen to be larger individuals than us, or have more than just the two of you coming along I’d be very conscious of your payload capacity with 1/2 tons.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Geismar , Louisiana
I was in a similar situation in that I purchased a Classic 30RB and really didn't want a 3/4 ton pickup because it would be my everyday driver. But, once I attempted to tow it with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet High Country 4x4, even when fitted with a ProPride hitch it simply wasn't a comfortable towing experience.

So, I purchased a 2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali (w/ 6.6L gas engine), and it tows our Airstream like a dream. While it took some time to get used to driving & parking such a large vehicle, the stress-free towing experience makes it well worth it. If there's any way you can test out a 1/2 ton tow vehicle before you buy it, you may find that what you currently think you want isn't really a good option, despite what the weight limit numbers suggest.
depiertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Sorry

Have to be honest 3/4 ton is a safer vehicle hands down, Its all in mass brakes frame and load capacity. Gas is OK if you do not wish the Diesel Expense however you will soon be wanting one.

Others will diss this and beat up us 1/2 ton max tow to 3/4 converts however on this forum is what it is, Now in 1970 maybe we would have a different conversation
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
You know all trucks are built to much higher standards now.
However please take time to consider the NISSAN TITAN XD This is a gas 5.6. 400 hp 413 torque. Longer wheel base.

5 year/ 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. No one else seems willing to back their truck as long.

All American made.
Designed in California
Engineered in Michigan
Tested in Arizona
Built in Mississippi
Powered in Indiana and Tennessee
Some where between a 1/2 & 3/4 ton Pick up

2390 payload
11,040 pound tow
Wheel base 151.8
The XD comes with all the tow equip standard.

Every convenience and option know to man. Most are standard.
What I like the most is the Zero Gravity seats. I can drive all day without fatigue.

Library quite.

Built with commercial grade components, fit and finish is outstanding. I have a 2017 and have not had one problem.

I love mine it is a civilized beast.
Unfortunately, the Titan is one of the models that doesn't offer an expanded tank option. Only one available is the base 26 gallon tank IIRC.

That would be a frustrating 200-220mile range between fill-ups with a larger Airstream, leaving reasonable margin.

That said, the aftermarket does support the Titan and looks like there's some larger 50 gallon tanks available.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
You are really looking at what option package will give you the maximum payload. In the F150 line you can get up to 2,000lb payload on an F150 but you'd be giving up some things you might like, 4x4 for example. That might be a good tradeoff in your case, though. You also can't go crazy with fancy options. I'd recommend not going higher than the XLT trim. This is really too much trailer for a 1/2 ton truck but then you know that.

It's all about the payload rating. Be sure you've watched and understand this video from Keep Your Daydream. https://youtu.be/qwFLOBrADBs
Very good video, it should put an end to the question.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"max tow is not as high a priority as the above weights, since all OEM's claim very large max tow weights."

Maxtow IS the priority in GM, as it includes a larger rear axle and rear springs and more payload.
It's a package name.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
I tow a 2019 30 ft Classic with a 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn 5.7 litre. Tows well.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
"max tow is not as high a priority as the above weights, since all OEM's claim very large max tow weights."

Maxtow IS the priority in GM, as it includes a larger rear axle and rear springs and more payload.
It's a package name.
He’s referring to max tow ratings, not a Max Tow package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I tow a 2019 30 ft Classic with a 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn 5.7 litre. Tows well.
Have you run it across a scale?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadagain View Post
I'm in the process of buying a new 30'rbt and am looking for the best TV that can be used as my everyday driver. I do realize that 3/4 ton would be better but I'm looking to find a compromise that will take me through the next 3 years. Our use will be the typical family vacations for long weekends and maybe 1-2 long week or two week trips, we live in the NE (once my wife and I go more full time a 3/4 ton will be in our future but until then I'd like to stay with 1/2 ton). Currently looking at GMC Sierra SLT with either diesel or gas and the F-150 diesel or gas. I will be going with crew cab setup and 6.5' bed (unless other feel the shorter bed will give you a better towing experience). Thanks for your input on the pros and cons of each.

Cheers,
A longer wheelbase truck is always better. Especially with a 30' AS.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
A longer wheelbase truck is always better. Especially with a 30' AS.
Yes, but only with short rear overhangs. As it's really about wheelbase to rear overhang ratio.

Some of the newer trucks have ridiculously tall bed sides and tall tailgates, leading to some fitting drop hitches that have longer horizontal projections in order to clear said tailgate with the tongue jack.

Negates to your point, all that great wheelbase.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Ditto on the Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I was just going to say that!
I agree with both of these
That’s what I tow with also. BUT mine is only a 27’
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
After towing a 25ft. FC through CO, I’d strongly advise you to avoid the mountains. I wisely traded my Tundra w/tow package for a RAM 2500 Diesel before attempting this trip. Several times going up and down 7-8% grades barely touching the brakes (engine brake) or laboring the engine, I realized trying this would have been less than enjoyable with the 1/2 ton.
Daily driver, it’s not a semi, it’s a truck. I think you can handle it.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
After towing a 25ft. FC through CO, I’d strongly advise you to avoid the mountains. I wisely traded my Tundra w/tow package for a RAM 2500 Diesel before attempting this trip. Several times going up and down 7-8% grades barely touching the brakes (engine brake) or laboring the engine, I realized trying this would have been less than enjoyable with the 1/2 ton.
So, you're saying you never towed your 25ft trailer with the Tundra in the mountains, and that's your basis for the recommendation not to do so?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
I don't know why the 3/4 ton folks simply can't understand why some folks prefer a 1/2 ton. Every 1/2 ton thread is dominated by the 3/4 ton crowd saying bigger is the only way to go. It simply isn't and every truck is a compromise. I've been driving a one ton diesel as my only transportation for 14 years and it is one of the smaller diesel rigs of the era. Daily driving it is an annoying PITA. People have good and valid reasons for going with a suitable 1/2 ton truck, especially with what is offered in today's market. Putting up with the fact that it's not the ultimate rig for ascending/descending 7/8% grades, when you do that once in a great while, pales in comparison to driving a great big heavy lug in congested city stop and go traffic every day. Different strokes for different folks. Stop with the insisting 3/4 ton trucks are the only way to go.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I don't know why the 3/4 ton folks simply can't understand why some folks prefer a 1/2 ton. Every 1/2 ton thread is dominated by the 3/4 ton crowd saying bigger is the only way to go. It simply isn't and every truck is a compromise. I've been driving a one ton diesel as my only transportation for 14 years and it is one of the smaller diesel rigs of the era. Daily driving it is an annoying PITA. People have good and valid reasons for going with a suitable 1/2 ton truck, especially with what is offered in today's market. Putting up with the fact that it's not the ultimate rig for ascending/descending 7/8% grades, when you do that once in a great while, pales in comparison to driving a great big heavy lug in congested city stop and go traffic every day. Different strokes for different folks. Stop with the insisting 3/4 ton trucks are the only way to go.
Bigger is definitely not the only way to go. You can also buy a smaller trailer.

The fact is unless you load very lightly, are the only passenger in the truck, or get a low trim level truck and still don’t put much in it there just aren’t any 1/2 tons that can handle a 30’ Airstream.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvToaster View Post
The fact is

You are confusing personal opinions with facts.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If you wish to be safe, and avoid potential legal issues if an accident occurs, you should stay within the specs of the truck. I see it as simple as that.

That payload number is important. If you stay within that, and the other specs of the truck, axle ratings, etc. then you should be good.

Problem with me is, I have a cap on my truck. Then I load 2 bicycles, a bottle jack, a 12v pump, jumper cables, a floor jack, grill, propane tank, loaded toolbox, socket set, impact socket set, 2 gallons rv antifreeze, two cases water, propane fire bowl, collapsible ladder, topeke bike bags loaded with assorted items, a small two step ladder, some walking sticks, a metal detector, shovel, hand operated bike pump, a framed base to set my hitch on when I arrive, some times firewood, camp rug, grill stand, a folding cafeteria table, and who knows what else,THEN, I put my wife's stuff in the rear seat area, two tupperware tubs full of books and assorted items that she markets on the road. Add to that I have rocktamers, and add to that the hitch weight itself.

I LOVE my 3,111 pounds of payload.

So, for me, its F250, OR learn to travel lighter

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote