Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've never had anything freeze going down the road. We've got a combination of Pex and copper in Bess, prolly frozen a few times, but thawed the next morning. We carry little ceramic heaters to keep both sides of the stern warm and run our big liquid radiators during the night, as well. In sub-freezing temps, there is no place to boondock, find a KOA and plug-in.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Maine
How long is the trip? Little heat packs like what's used for injuries won't stay hot for too long, maybe 30-45 minutes. I'm using an electric hot pack on my back, it could wrap around a few feet of pipe, gets pretty hot.
MaxJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #23
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
This is an interesting thread in that we've never had anything in the trailer freeze while in motion with water aboard and the furnace off. We have the trailer warmed before we leave. We drive no more than 3 hours then stop and warm the trailer again. I got really concerned one time when we drove down into a river valley and the temp dipped to 5 degrees, but we stopped within an hour and still no freeze up.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
radiant heat

For a permanent fix, you might check into radiant floor heating...they sell it for trailers and I think it runs on 12 volt...does anyone know that for sure ??
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I never add antifreeze to my plumbing, I just use air and blow out the plumbing. A few times while traveling during very cold temps, (0-20F), I have carried a 12 volt air compressor and a blow out plug.

It does't take long to drain the low points and blow out the lines.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have been in State Parks and had power to run the furnace. But still when the outside temp dropped to 16 above for 4 hours or so the line from the FW tank was frozen enough to prevent the pump from delivering water while the living space was quite comfortable. Not enough to cause any damage, just a minor inconvenience as it would thaw out after just an hour or so in the sun.
My objective is to eliminate the inconvenience.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
After traveling with antifreeze in your pipes do you add more when you arrive?

My RV tech suggests putting a cup of antifreeze in each trap after you add it to the lines.

If you travel and stop do you add more if you are not de-winterizing?

I am considering going from New England to Florida in the winter.

Any suggestions what you do or have done in the past?
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I know a lot of folks who live up here in sub-zero freezing country and who tow down to Florida or Texas or Mexico in the winter. Without exception, they all do the "porta potty" or "luggable loo" and sponge bath routine during the couple of days it takes to get to warmer climes. They will run furnace (or use shore power if in a campground over night en route) during the night, and they just let the coach get cold while they're driving.

It's simple, easy, and best of all, relatively idiot proof. For my money - and since the idiot who usually tows my trailer (yours truly) often goofs, this just makes sense.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote