Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
Buxton , North Carolina
Door Handle/Lock on Argosy

Has anyone replace the door handle/lock assembly on your Argosy? Where did you purchase a new one from or use to replace it? Thanks in advance!!
ajrose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My guess is you have an original K200 lock. New ones as well as parts from Inland RV in Ca. New may cost you about $500. Inland RV also sells a replacement lock which is considerably cheaper but needs a little door modification.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
There are still quite a few parts still available if repair is an option.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...ort=20a&page=1
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
72 Argosy Door Lock

Do you have a pic of your old one, some of them looked like they had KT locks. I have a KT lock on the classifieds for sale that can be painted or buffed out. Just an idea. Jim
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
What's wrong with your lock??

My KT locking bolt had a broken spring. I replaced both pin and spring two years ago - "in-door" repair. Door lock works like a champ.

Ace Hardware had everything I needed. I wasn't 100% sure of pin and spring sizes, so I bought an assortment.

Proper spring tension is a bit tricky. The spring mustn't be too soft or too stiff; not too long or not too short. There was some trial and error involved.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Boy if anyone has an easy solution on this let me know. I had a bargman round handle door handle on my 69 when I brought it up here. The original Airstream logo airfoil shaped handle and lock were apparently kept by the locksmith who put the bargman replacement on the trailer. I came to find out the replacement was well used and would not lock the trailer door. I ordered a replacement set from Inland and the 69 model is unique in that it requires a longer throw bolt. So I ordered it as a replacement and come to find out, while it does have the required long throw bolt it really is not a 1:1 replacement. Basically $500 in labor costs later I have a new door handle and lock but the deadbolt doesn't have a place to deadbolt into and I am unable to lock the door from inside (that was fun explaining to my wife). But it does look nice and it locks nicely from the outside. I'll figure out the inside thing. Bottom line - good luck. The $500 estimate above is probably realistic. You may be able to find a salvage door with the lockset in it, you may be able to happen on an authentic lockset that is being resold but I can tell you based on my recent experience with my Airstream it is not easy. Could be a nice cottage business for someone with machine skills and equipment to build up the parts. The cost would still be high because it would be low volume but it could be a nice money maker
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrose2 View Post
Has anyone replace the door handle/lock assembly on your Argosy? Where did you purchase a new one from or use to replace it? Thanks in advance!!
funny story... I lost my keys to my AS during our last move.

Locksmith said would be much cheaper to bring the locks in, than to have someone come out. So I removed the door mechanism and in the process
I broke off one of the screws, (be very careful with the one by the latch on the end). The locking lever was busted off at the base as well. The chrome was all peeling off as well. Ordered some parts from out of doors mart then took it apart. taking it apart I lost the little ball that retains the locking mechanism, back to out of doors mart... finally got the key made, got the chrome sanded and then repainted. I know way more about this door mechanism than I ever wanted to.

a week later my kid found the keys under the seat in the truck...
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Another funny story, one time my dad was out at the house and I was working on the AS and closed the door. When we were ready to go back in the door wouldn't open. I had a window open so I cut the screen out and crawled in the window. Boy that was fun thru the bathroom window. After removing the lock from inside I still couldn't get the door open. The door bolt/latch had broken off. So with my dad's help on the outside and me inside we were able to work it out. Needless to say, a new lock was ordered and installed.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
Buxton , North Carolina
The handle does not lay flat... and you have to slam the door for it to latch... my mom wants to replace it
ajrose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrose2 View Post
The handle does not lay flat... and you have to slam the door for it to latch... my mom wants to replace it
I had the same problem with the lock on our '74 Overlander. The handle not returning all the way toward the door was due to a broken spring. I ordered a replacement (Lever Spring 1110-0015) from Out Of Doors Mart for $1.95 which fixed that problem.

Our door also didn't close properly. Slamming wouldn't work, we had to pull out on the handle as we closed it to get it to latch. That was caused by the spring that pushes out on the slide bolt being too stiff. I replaced the old spring with one that is less stiff and that fixed the closing problem.

The big problem I had in doing this was getting the spring pins out of the shaft that the handle rotates on. I accidentally broke part of the flange on the casting, the one part that is outrageously expensive. I made a plate of aluminum to cover the lock and hide the broken part. Now the lock doesn't look original, but it does look unique, and it works! (-:

I would not worry about whether the door can be locked by the original lock, in fact I'd suggest making it so the lock can't be locked, and use a deadbolt instead. I'm concerned about my door lock locking due to vibration on the road and then not being able to unlock it. The key cylinder on ours is very worn. Vintage Trailer Supply sells a deadbolt that mounts in the wall and has a 3/8" bolt that goes into the door frame. I wasn't able to use that one because a deadbolt had been previously installed and the VTS one needs a larger setback. The hole cut into the doorframe was so large that it caused the door frame to break so it didn't close properly at the top. I ended up milling a new bolt for a standard deadbolt to fit a 3/8" hole in the door frame. I'm still working on fixing the door frame, on my first attempt I didn't get the curve right.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Same as Davidson Overlander:
we had to pull out on the handle as we closed it to get it to latch.
It's not a good idea to slam those locks. Replacement is expensive however you choose to do it and slamming can break the lock. It's easy to get in the habit of holding the handle out as you close the door, release the handle when the door is closed then push on the door and listen for a click as it latches. On the inside, I hold the handle up as I close the door, then pull on the handle as I let it down to latch.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Topanga , California
1976 Argosy Inside lock

Hello everyone,

We just purchased a 1976 Airstream Argosy 26 feet that's arriving tomorrow. The outdoor lock works great but in the indoor handle and lock are missing. Any suggestions? We'd greatly appreciate it, as well be living in our airstream full time!
Sahaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You can find parts here:
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...&cPath=101_102

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Topanga , California
Thank you for your help azflycaster, looking like they had exactly what we are needing, however, it's sold out. Do you know of any other place. Have been searching online without any success. Appreciate your time. Blessings
Sahaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check your private messages.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Lock Question

Some criminal sort tried to pry open door handle without success. But now door latch handle and lock still work but is sprung outward about an inch so not flat in latch pocket. So still using as is. Scared to force into position. Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
If the door handle still works you are lucky. There is an internal mechanism that has been bent if your handle does not lay flat. If that breaks off or bends to the point the bolt won’t pull back, you won’t be able to open the door from the outside. I suggest keeping the door open and unscrewing the three screws on the inside of the door + the single screw on the inside edge of the door and then pushing the entire lock set out. You can then examine the lever mechanism at the bottom of the lock set and see what is going on.
The Zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
KT Door Lock Assembly-Parts ‘70s

I did look for parts to determine availability if needed. I found KT lock parts on VintageTrailerSupply site, and read Airstream may still have door locks too. Be Safe.