Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Osogofind

1975 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
pvc -vs- flexpipe / tubing?

Im re-working my plumbing and am wondering if anyone has changed over to any sort of flexpipe from PVC?
My unit currently has c-pvc installed throughout. working in tight places I was thinking a flex pipe of some sort might be a better choice??

suggestions on type of tubing that is best?

Any advice?
Bwilson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Usually people use PEX. That's what Airstream has been using in production trailers for some years now.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
ViegaPEX Press is the best in my opinion.
Viega | Plumbing, heating, gas, drinking water, drainage and bathroom design
You can get it from pexsupply.com
Have fun plumbing!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
If you are asking more about plumbing away from the fixtures I used some marine flexible hose in my black tank system. It was very expensive and not that flexible but it does what it is supposed to, it came from Westmarine.com and is rated for it's purpose regarding permeability etc.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
pvc -vs- flexpipe / tubing?

I used the braided (stainless) hose to connect all of the fixtures in my coach.
You can get this hose with 1/2" female NPT pipe fitting on each end. Then just connect it to the PVC via male NPT adaptors.
I even used it to connect the water heater to the cold and hot water lines.
Easy to install, easy to replace, if needed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
ViegaPEX Press is the best in my opinion.
Viega | Plumbing, heating, gas, drinking water, drainage and bathroom design
You can get it from pexsupply.com
Have fun plumbing!

Just curious....what is different about this PEX vs the PEX at Lowes or Home Depot?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Just curious....what is different about this PEX vs the PEX at Lowes or Home Depot?
Viega PEX tubing is made in the USA. All of the Viega fittings are made in Germany. It is more expensive, but the highest quality.

The Lowe's and Home Depot PEX tubing and fittings I've seen are made in China.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
In my humble opinion...PEX is not the answer. Irrelevant on country if origin. I've found it great, if there's space to clamp it correctly. I've usually patched the copper or go to CPVC. Some locations PEX is workable. Mostly not. CPVC is also less likely to get injured / punctured. Enjoy...
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Wish I could find love

I am in the unique position of havingAirstreams which I have tried all of these plumbing systems.
The PEX system is very good, but the clamping of the fittings under counters, beds, etc., is frustrating and nearly impossible to work. I do like the red and blue and white color coding.
The Viegapex is a superior product...bullet proof. Way over engineered for our uses. My Bubble has it. The tools required are different than regular PEX and the stripping down to the metal coating tube is unique.
The flex plastic tubing I have in the 55 Safari is junk.....as are the white plastic fittings. The previous owner had been told by the "restoration" shop in ABQ that this was a PEX installation. They should be hung for using that junk and selling it as PEX.
I have old school flex hose and clamps in a Flying Cloud. Once I got all the leaky clamps tight it was an OK system. Not a pretty solution by any means.
The best system I have, so far, is the one where I use PEX tubing and either Sealand or Shark Bite fittings. So far no leaks (as some claim these fitting have) and extremely easy to build a nice system.
I always have a few Shark Bite fittings with me to repair any of these tubing systems. Quick, easy and reliable.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I used Pex with a combination of crimp fittings where I could get the crimping tool to work, and Sharkbite fittings where the crimping tool wouldn't fit. After a short learning curve it went very quickly. I think the main issue with the Sharkbite fittings potentially leaking is that when you cut the Pex tube, it needs to be square as possible and not have any burrs around the edge. You should be good to go for years once properly installed.
I would think CPVC would be fine if you never have to worry about freezing.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
Beware of using braided (stainless) hose to connect to the hot water heater. The internal plastic membrane will melt with disastrous results. Ask me how I know!
Pileus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Nothing wrong with CPVC especially if it is already installed. It is certainly easier to work with. I am not all that in love with PEX although I have bought all the tools for it. PEX is freeze resistant but there are other plumbing components that are not that will fail if you think you can be lazy and not winterize. The toilet flush valve and the water heater come to mind.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Perry, I think you hit the nail on the head. The key word here is freeze RESISTANT. My interpretation of this is that if AFTER a proper winterization process a bit of water remains and settles into a nearby low spot you will likely survive the freeze with no damage. To think this would remove the need to blow the lines would simply be careless and I hope that none of the forum readers will make that mistake. Now I don't mean to berate anybody living in an area not usually subjected to deep freeze that might get caught off guard. That's simply bad luck. I live in a deep freeze area so it's a no brainer for me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well there are those that fill the pipes with the red stuff as well. I think that is a little overkill but I don't live at the north pole.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote