Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Question house pipes in a RV

Got a great deal on 67 Sovereing, or so I thought. It has pvc, pcv, (house type water system installed) I am certain this will not hold up to a now moving around again AS. The problem for me is the location of most of the joints for the bathroom. I can see them from the rear but I am a disabled vet and this is in a area I am sure I can not work in for a prolonged time. Can I remove the tub and rear bath shower unit to get to this area or do I give in and take it to a pro on this one? The unit could be a poster child for clear silicone and had many other self help failures I was slowy able to fix. But this pluming job just may be too much. Cost wise I need to be able to do it, but many of you have done this I quess. Should I give it a try or give in? Just one of many problems; I am retired military and have plenty of time (AS work is great theraphy). Thanks again to all of you knowledgeable ASers
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
house pipes in a RV

There is nothing wrong with using PVC as long as it is done right. RV manufacturers use ABS because it is cheaper.
Where I live ABS is not available. Which may be the case in many areas.
ABS and PVC cannot be glued to each other. There are couplings (Fernco) which can be used in this case.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I like PEX ... and have never had an appreciation for PVC or CPVC.
Our new to us 75 Overlander 27' was the victim of a nice guy with tools claiming to be an RV tech charging the PO over $2,000 to "repair" the original copper plumbing that had frozen in multiple places likely due to faulty winterization. I found out by attempting to pressurize the system with air to check for leaks before connecting a water hose - no way.
So I partially diassembled the center goucho (bed) and removed a panel in the bath to gain access to the plumbing, removed all of the old copper along with the faulty rubber hose and hose clamp attempted repairs, removed the faucets, and $500 in parts and a couple of days later had working plumbing.
I retired from the Army in '95, worked as a stationary engineer in hospitals until retiring again in 2010. Working on the RV was far more relaxing as no one's life was dependant on my work, and when cramped into a small work space for too long there was no problem with taking a break.
If it were our AS with PVC, even if functional, I'd probably change it just because.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Only you know your physical limitations. If you feel that you are not up to the project either farm it out or pass and move on to another trailer that is in better shape.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
You don't clearly indicate which side of the water system has PVC (supply or drain) however PVC or ABS is commonly used for drain/waste/vent (DWV) plumbing applications in RV's. Our 73, 76, and 05 have glued ABS for DWV, and either copper, PVC/CPVC, or pex on the supply side. We have not experienced any leaks, though I do replace supply side PVC/CPVC with pex whenever I break into the supply system as pex is very easy to work with.

Unless your system is leaking I would take a wait and see approach.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Good rule for Airstreams. "If it's not broke keep fixing it till it is"
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I replumbed my Safari about 10 years ago with CPVC. Have covered thousands of miles, many on back, unsurfaced, rough roads, and have had no problems. Tested recently to 75 PSI , again no problems.

If installed correctly you should be good for many years.

Thank you for your service!

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Kathy's quilt, if you're talking about the drain piping then the pvc isn't an issue in and of itself. If it's not giving you problems don't worry about, it's perfectly capable of working in that application. Only spot that could be issue is the transition from pvc to abs valve assembly's, but if they used transition cement there it'll be ok.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Joshua Tree , California
KQ, hurrah to you for taking on such a project. Try hooking some water up to maybe the freshwater supply and see if there's leaks. If so, replace with PEX. What found is helpful: when there is a grouping of pipes, joints, fittings I pre assemble them before putting in place. Keeps from straining my back and my mouth clean. �� Good luck!
StarckMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I don't think it has been noted yet, but I could be wrong. One of the big reported advantages of PEX is that if frozen it will stretch but not burst.

I live in Fl so I went with CPVC, mainly since I felt comfortable using it, and did not have the money to buy the tools for PEX. Measure, cut, and glue. It works for me.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Smile Shout out of THANKS

To all who gave great advice I want to say, "thanks" This is a project of love and one of mind clearing thearphy. I do go slow but sure and hope to write a blog (when I figure out how) on my finding a AS I could afford to refurbish, to when I show up at a rally some day in a bright shinning 67 AS that I will be able to say, "I did most of the work restoring it with the help of many on AS forums." VTS has been great in helping me also. In the Army, when we ran into a problem, we would always say "Just a thing" and that is how I see them on my Sovereign. Please keep sharing your advice and thoughts with all us newbees' WE NEED IT. Thank God, I found a owner/service manger a hour and a half away that loves working on old stuff and parts wich chalenges, thanks to your advice who to see in my area. The AS forum is great, but a live body sure don't hurt.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
My 97 excella is plumbed with CPVC and I have no issues. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote