Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Tires, Wal-Mart

This is meant only as information to help others in the future...
I had a tire failure on my TV last Sunday at 4 in the afternoon. I made a U-turn and went to Wal-Mart which I had just passed. The 2 twenty-something year olds had been on the job 3 weeks. This is where my problems began. The associates in the tire department were not familiar with tire sizes or weight carrying capacity. I was also informed that it is Wal-Mart policy to only inflate tires to 50 pounds, no more . Is safety a concern here? I wondered why they were selling something that could not be inflated properly? The tires I bought were 10 ply and had a cold psi inflation of 80 pounds. Wal-Mart installation time for 4 tires, with no one ahead of me in line, 5 HOURS I went to a truck tire retailer the following day and had all tires correctly positioned and inflated. $18.00 additional. Lesson learned........
Was also informed that Wal-mart will sell you a tire that can be on a trailer, but will not mount it for you if they know it is going on a trailer.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Marshall , North Carolina
Thanks for the info. I have found it always best to deal with a well established and professional dealer when purchasing something as important as tires. My dealer will always take the time to explain in depth any questions I may have. After all that is his job and he does it well.
Hank A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
For the last ten years or so I have purchased all of my tires from Peerless. Yesterday the local store manager agreed to come out to the house and look at the Minuet to make sure the rims were up to standard and confirm that the bias ply tire I am looking at will fit. That is service well above and beyond expected. As a result I will be buying two tires and one rim.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Is IDIOT painted on my forehead???????????

I went to Sears to get a battery for my tow vehicle. ( Maybe I am an idiot)
The salesman told me that I would get better gas mileage with the $95 top of the line battery. I said that I didn't think so. Then he said I would loose
performance with a cheaper battery.
Anyway, I was telling some friends about it, and they said for Diehard to reach the higher cranking amps that they had to make the plates thinner,
resulting in a battery that wouldn't last as long. I am happy with the $65 battery.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Over the years, I've had very good experience with DISCOUNT TIRES. My dealings with them were in TX and I'm not certain how nationwide they've expanded. My TV tires have always been BFGoodrich TA Radials once the factories are depleted. I've been able to get 50K plus miles on them when properly inflated (never below 55psi). Recently, I've found that both COSTCO and SAMS CLUB carry these and for around $20 less per tire with a full road hazard warranty.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have been buying tires from Discount Tires in Arizona for many years. Good prices and great service. Here is a map showing their locations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discount.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	33963  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
The salesman told me that I would get better gas mileage with the $95 top of the line battery. I said that I didn't think so.
I think I would have strung him along, then waited till a manager walked within earshot.
That's when I would have called the salesman an idiot.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I have been buying tires from Discount Tires in Arizona for many years. Good prices and great service. Here is a map showing their locations.
Thanks for the map Richard. It's nice to see DISCOUNT is here in VA as well now that I need replacements for my TV factory tires. I'll do a little cost comparing here.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I'll have to go talk to the Discount Tire here in Kirkland. We've used Les Schwab for the last dozen years or more and been extremely satisfied with the quality of tire (Toyo) and the service. They're one of the few business left that really stand behind their work and the product they sell. The motto "If I can't guarantee it, I won't sell it" is more than just hype. However, in multiple attempts at different stores I've been unable to get a satisfactory answer on trailer tires. Different stores want to sell me different tires; none of which I've heard of. The closest thing to a brand name tire quoted is NanKang. These don't fill me with confidence and since they're special order it will be impossible to replace one if/when I have a problem while on a trip.

-Bernie

For ref (maybe they're not so bad?):
Welcome to Tireco!
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been buying my TV 10 plys (Michilin X) at Sam's Club for the last fifteen years. I have always found their personnel competent and professional. They mount and inflate the tires properly. They provide free rotation for the life of the tires at any of their locations nationwide. I purchased a new set of Michilins about three weeks ago. Everything went perfectly and they were done in less than thirty minutes.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
I went to Sears to get a battery for my tow vehicle. ( Maybe I am an idiot)
The salesman told me that I would get better gas mileage with the $95 top of the line battery. I said that I didn't think so. Then he said I would loose
performance with a cheaper battery.
Of course your mileage would be better. You'd be hauling less weight in your wallet!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Just a FYI sears does not manufacture batteries they just put there name on them there are only a couple manufactures a company called Johnson Controls is a large company and they make Interstate Batteries...

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Discount tires...

Bernie - last time I went to the Kirkland store, they have me excellent service on the purchase of rims for the Arogsy - they even went the extra mile to find lug BOLTS (not nuts) that were grade 8 and long enough for the rims. Apparently, they're hard to find. Great service from them for all my cars too. I don't remember them carrying Goodyears, though. They had Roadmaster or some other off brand at the time.

However, I actually got the best prices on my Goodyear Marathons from the Goodyear store in Redmond (sort of behind the big QFC).
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks for the feedback on Discount Tire in Kirkland. After doing some digging I found that Nankang brands their tires things like Milestar, Freestar and such. Good chance they the "house tire". They also (if you believe the website) are a Carlyle and Goodyear dealer. It looks like Carlyle may also be private labled from Nankang. Could do worse than a Tawain tire; they actually look pretty decent. Discount is also supposedly a Maxis and Bridgestone dealer. It will be interesting to see what story I get in person vs. the website.

And thanks for the reviews everybody. Good service and a Nation wide network may tip the balance toward Discount Tire since Les Schwab seems to be striking out with respect to trailer tire knowledge.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wal-Mart may have the best prices, but you get what you pay for....... I agree, the national tire businesses typically know what they are talking about and can surpass the like of the Wal-Marts of the world in overall knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, Wal-Mart and other retailers do a great job at other things, but they are not really a great auto service center in terms of knowledgable staff. Sears got into hot water around here about 8 years ago. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the info posted to this thread about what a Sears rep said....but not everyone knows anything to contest comments like this like you or I.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think I would have strung him along, then waited till a manager walked within earshot.
That's when I would have called the salesman an idiot.
Many times it is the manager that instructs the employees to say these things. And the manager is pressured to do whatever it takes to make the sale.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To add to Terry's post, some managers are as clueless as the teens they hire!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I second and third all the positive comments about Discount Tire--I have used several of them, mostly in Plano and Richardson, Texas, and I have been impressed EVERY time by how professional and knowledgeable they are. They would fix flats for free, regardless of where you got your tires, and match prices on the rare occasion you could find a better deal. They would even mount and dismount my race tires for free (probably due to liability issues, but it was great nonetheless)! I taught a class on basic car care for women through FunEd at the Plano store for the longest time, and the manager at the time, Todd Eaddy, bent over backwards to make sure I had everything I needed (plus stayed almost four hours past his closing time for each class) and he would help out with the course when we would go out and show the ladies where everything was on their own vehicles and how to change a tire. Top-notch folks, and I have no compunctions about recommending them to anyone.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Sadly, we went to Sears for new tires on the AS, the old tires were leaking. After 2 trips of ~50 miles each, one for the tires and one for high pressure stems we asked for on the first trip, no one bothered to tell us the rims were corroded inside and THAT is why the wheels were leaking. Now we have to decide on rims to match our new tires.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Nankang

Here's another vote for the Nankangs for trailer tires. I haven't found a tougher, more reliable tire and I travel roads that most folks wouldn't dare attempt, much less hauling a trailer. True, they must be special ordered, but I have had them on one trailer for over eight years and many miles with no problems. I like them so much that I ordered another set for my other trailer.
As for the TV, I go with the Les Schwab Toyos..........again, no problems and great service.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote