Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Stolen Airstream... '64 Safari in Oklahoma

FYI. I don't know these folks, just found this on the local craigslist.

Please Look Out for Stolen 1964 Airstream Safari
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This is why I lock mine.... I hate to do it as I am the trusting type, But there are a lot of undesirables out there.. And they seem to be everywhere...

We didn't even have a front door key when I was growing up... My mom use to leave the keys in the ignition of the car when we went in the mall... What has happened...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Thats a damn shame. I Mentioned I know someone that got there race car/ tariler ect taken from a goof guys event in Tenn. I am still scratching my head at that. I keep mine locked in my back yard.

Is there any way we can get a picutre, ( I know what an Airstream looks like) But maybe the awnings or something else will make it specific a recognizable. Tell them also to contact the local scrap yards.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I forwarded it to everyone I know with ties to camping or WBCCI.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Ouch- that is a terrible shame! I wonder how difficult it was to drive off with- I also wonder if there is a clever way to lock up the brakes on a trailer with the runaway-switch, activated somehow by a theft attempt? Or some other way to make it impossible to drive away with it? I really hope they get it back soon- and that the perps are caught and dealt with "appropriately".
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Ouch- that is a terrible shame! I wonder how difficult it was to drive off with- I also wonder if there is a clever way to lock up the brakes on a trailer with the runaway-switch, activated somehow by a theft attempt? Or some other way to make it impossible to drive away with it? I really hope they get it back soon- and that the perps are caught and dealt with "appropriately".
One of the best, but not quite fool proof method to stop a trailer theft, especially if it's going to be parked for an extended period of time, is to take the wheels off.

I suppose a hidden breakaway switch perhaps underneath the trailer, totally out of sight, tied to a stake in the ground, might work too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Stolen Airstream

This trailer was taken from my property near Wewoka/Konowa/Holdenville, Oklahoma. We were gone for 24 hours. I don't have good pictures of it. Doesn't have an awning. Has crome spare tire cover on the tongue. Has some dents & holes, a new a/c, some rust on frame and white wheels.
I'm sure it was easy to drive off with. They didn't even have a hitch lock. Broke into gates with bolt cutters. I think it was just an impulsive thing for them to take. Couldn't be seen from the road, (1/4 mile long drive from gate and 1 mile from the Hwy. It makes me sick. Sure would like to find it.

You can contact me John Ford at 405-392-2164.

Please Look Out for Stolen 1964 Airstream Safari - $1 (Stolen at Sasakwa OK)

Reply to: sale-819905523@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-08-30, 2:32PM CDT

This 1964 Airstream Safari was stolen on Friday August 29 from this very spot on our property near Sasakwa, OK. It belongs to some dear friends of ours who need that trailer worse than the people who stole it. Obviously it was taken by someone who knew that it had just arrived. What a crying shame! They also stole some of our things too, such as fishing equip., trolling motor, lawn equip., etc. But it's our friends' trailer that we really care about. If you see this trailer or know of its whereabouts, please contact the Seminole County Sheriff's office at (405) 257-5445 or reply to this ad with the information. Please help us find this trailer. Thanks!

OK Tag# 729-XVT VIN# 042 S 3273
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Alert parts dealers and junk yards?

You've probably already thought of this ... yet you may consider alerting parts dealers and junk yards in the area. A phone call to Colaw's near Joplin, MO may be good as well since they have a large inventory of travel trailer parts. They do have wrecked and abandoned Airstreams for parts. You might also keep an eye out on eBay to make sure it doesn't show up there for auction.

So sorry for your dilemma. Hopefully you've gotten word out fast enough that it will be hard for the thieves to get far with the trailer and it will make its way back to you.

maccamper
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stolen Airstream trailers and motorhomes.

You can call Airstream and report the stolen trailer or motorhome to them.

Please have a very good description of it, and an accurate serial number.

They in turn, will e-mail the dealers and service centers with that information.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Unfortunatley it's probably being stripped

With the current state of rampant metal thieves stripping copper out of houses, they probably saw this one rolling down the road to your house and followed it with plans of selling to a scrap metal yard. It was probably also a convenient way to carry off your other items.

Our silver family members are just stacks of aluminum sheetmetal to those scumbags.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hey- I think Andy might be onto a clever idea with the under-trailer (and backwards pointing) breakaway switch, at least for shorter intervals of remote parking or storage. Especially effective at night perhaps, when it would be harder to detect. The switch on my coach pivots, to point backwards, and has quite a long cable on it- might be worth trying, in addition to a hitch lock, motion alarm, disabled jack, etc.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
fishing line for the trip wire and also wired to the alarm, i like it!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
This is a little upsetting. I'm here in Chandler, Oklahoma, with my 78 Argosy sitting out in the side yard unlocked and no tongue lock either. Never thought it would be a problem. I've ordered a good lock for it and am putting what I have around here on it for now.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Here's another thought: you know those I-beam steel girders with the base on hinges? You see 'em at the entrance to hiking trails to keep cars... only the ranger can come along and folds it down with a key.

If I had a nice, permanent storage spot on my own property, I'd install those on all four sides of the trailer, set in concrete and making it nigh unto impossible to move it without the key... unless they have a helicopter and a good sling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PF5300_lge.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	66817  
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Will the trailer bake device kill the battery or over heat the magnets??
I also suggest WBCCI and local unit notification. We all look when we see an Airstream going down the road or see 1 parked. (I do anyways)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Stolen trailer

I got really good news from the Seminole county Sheriff this morning that they had recovered the trailer. Hurrah.
It was a result of posting a picture with a reward offer at the local store/gas station in Sasakwa, OK. A man out hunting spotted it & called me & the sheriff. Theives had drug it out in a pasture about 6 miles from where they stole. They are hard to hide. Thanks to all who responded. I know we all get attached them. My friends who own it are thrilled and will happily pay the reward.

Barkingdogg
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Awesome - congrats! I wish this story's ending was the rule rather than the exception.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good to hear, I'll be sure to call you next time I get something stolen Barkingdogg...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations! I am so glad to hear that it has been recovered....what a relief!