Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Earplugs for motorcycle riding

I ride a 1991 Kawasaki Vulcan that I bought around a year ago. I'm currently having some trouble with my ears. My ears have been sensitive to noise the past few months and I'm thinking of buying earplugs that I can use for a long time. Well, I'm just thinking of buying because I'm still not decided yet. I don't wanna get bullied by my biker friends but I also want to protect my hearing.

Can you guys recommend me something?

Thanks in advance.
FrankyDub23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Cvs, walgreens, talk to the pharmacist for advice.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Etymotic is recommended by an audio engineer for loud concert music. Really good and doesn't block out normal conversation or color the sound. And they make one specifically to use under a helmet. Look on Amazon.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Noise cancelling buds....

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I used custom molded earphones for riding. Flat against the ear for easy helmet on and off, all day comfort, and totally isolates a Harley muffler while listening to the radio or an Ipod.https://www.bigearinc.com/products/m...ing-ear-plugs/
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I used Bluetooth ear buds when I was riding. If you’re looking for no music option, I enjoy my eargasm reusable ear plugs

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
After discarding the foamies, I had a set of custom moulded earplugs made. The audiologist charged me $80 as I recall, but prices vary greatly, shop around.
Now, the bad news. As I rode and flexed my jaw, they come unseated. It's still better than no earplugs, but annoying, and with a full helmet, you can't reseat them.
Be aware that audiologists can make custom moulded with a fitting for snapping in popular earbuds, Apple, Sony, etc.
The biggest annoyance with a full helmet is wind noise. No solution was perfect.

If you're a NASCAR fan, the drivers all have a routine. Put the ear piece in their mouth and wet it, insert, then put a piece of duct tape over it.
Ugh!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
A second vote for Big Ear. Their products have grown in sophistication and effectiveness over the last 15 years. A custom fitted plug is the best route to go.

FYI, I've been riding for almost 50 years. My Dad and elder brother were/are pilots and ear damage from engine/flight line noise was always been a topic of caution at our houses. I've used a variety of plugs since the seventies without concern about what others might think. If you are that worried, get the clear model which few will notice. Those buddies who were naysayers now use hearing aids for every day conversations.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyDub23 View Post
I ride a 1991 Kawasaki Vulcan that I bought around a year ago. I'm currently having some trouble with my ears. My ears have been sensitive to noise the past few months and I'm thinking of buying earplugs that I can use for a long time. Well, I'm just thinking of buying because I'm still not decided yet. I don't wanna get bullied by my biker friends but I also want to protect my hearing.

Can you guys recommend me something?

Thanks in advance.
I feel your pain with the sensitive ears. I have trouble with that too however I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years and have come to realize that you need all of your senses on high alert if you want to make it home alive. I have never used ear protection for that reason.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Foam ear plugs until I bought custom molded set from Westone. 28db sound reduction, music/audio through my Sena 30K control is spectacular. Doesn't cut the wind noise as much as foamies but love them, though expensive at $400. But a one time purchase for something that will last.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Cvs, walgreens, talk to the pharmacist for advice.
Hey! I already tried the disposable ones from CVS, Walgreens and Walmart but they don't feel right. They make my ear canals itchy and irritated. I'm thinking of getting some custom plugs but I'm still not sure. They're expensive! LOL
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Etymotic is recommended by an audio engineer for loud concert music. Really good and doesn't block out normal conversation or color the sound. And they make one specifically to use under a helmet. Look on Amazon.
Will do. Thanks! Really appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:58 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I need something I can wear under a helmet. I hope one of this works.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I used custom molded earphones for riding. Flat against the ear for easy helmet on and off, all day comfort, and totally isolates a Harley muffler while listening to the radio or an Ipod.https://www.bigearinc.com/products/m...ing-ear-plugs/
You know what, I just watched this video of them on [url=
Old 08-07-2019, 01:12 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I used Bluetooth ear buds when I was riding. If you’re looking for no music option, I enjoy my eargasm reusable ear plugs
I actually don't mind if it doesn't play music. I'm a bit of a scaredy cat so I always get spooked by other vehicles in my lane...so music is a nada!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
After discarding the foamies, I had a set of custom moulded earplugs made. The audiologist charged me $80 as I recall, but prices vary greatly, shop around.
Now, the bad news. As I rode and flexed my jaw, they come unseated. It's still better than no earplugs, but annoying, and with a full helmet, you can't reseat them.
Be aware that audiologists can make custom moulded with a fitting for snapping in popular earbuds, Apple, Sony, etc.
The biggest annoyance with a full helmet is wind noise. No solution was perfect.

If you're a NASCAR fan, the drivers all have a routine. Put the ear piece in their mouth and wet it, insert, then put a piece of duct tape over it.
Ugh!
I'm shocked that even pro drivers in NASCAR doesn't have a solution for wind noise. They went all hillbilly with the spit and duct tape. LOL
Old 08-07-2019, 01:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
A second vote for Big Ear. Their products have grown in sophistication and effectiveness over the last 15 years. A custom fitted plug is the best route to go.

FYI, I've been riding for almost 50 years. My Dad and elder brother were/are pilots and ear damage from engine/flight line noise was always been a topic of caution at our houses. I've used a variety of plugs since the seventies without concern about what others might think. If you are that worried, get the clear model which few will notice. Those buddies who were naysayers now use hearing aids for every day conversations.
You're right! I can get a pair of those clear earplugs and let those effers end up deaf. You know what, I just watched them on Youtube. Big Ear seems to be of great quality for custom earplugs. Hope they have someone near me.

I tried to tell Acheron2010 that I watched a video of https://www.bigearinc.com/ on Youtube but my response doesn't seem to appear for God knows why.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
I feel your pain with the sensitive ears. I have trouble with that too however I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years and have come to realize that you need all of your senses on high alert if you want to make it home alive. I have never used ear protection for that reason.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. I just hope whatever I end up buying doesn't make it hard to hear other vehicles around me. Of course, I don't want to get hit by a car.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Foam ear plugs until I bought custom molded set from Westone. 28db sound reduction, music/audio through my Sena 30K control is spectacular. Doesn't cut the wind noise as much as foamies but love them, though expensive at $400. But a one time purchase for something that will last.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I want something I can use daily and something that would last for years.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #20
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
When I was riding, I was a long distance rider. I started by examining the wind noise and bike noise to see what changes I could make to minimize both. I had an expensive Aria full face helmet that had vents on the top and sides, and they produced a lot of noise. Some clear tape really helped. I wore a helmet liner, and was sure to close my jacket collar to minimize air flow (air noise) coming from the bottom. I had custom pipes on the Harley (of course) but on long trips, they just made too much noise, so I put the quiet stock pipes back on. Some wind vanes on the front forks redirected air to the sides and further minimized the whistling around my head, along with proper windshield height to just hit the top of my helmet in normal riding position.
I got the custom earphones so I could plug into an XM radio on my dash, and get the day's weather and traffic in my area of the country. On the open road, music was fine, but in congested traffic and cities, I would turn it off and still be able to hear car horns, loud trucks and similar hazards. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	348852  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote