Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Craftsman

Airstream Co. Awful Website!

Is it just me or does this multi million dollar company have one of the worst websites on the internet.New updates to the products are out for months before it's ever mentioned on the website.I thought that was one of the purposes of a website to reach customers in their homes with information thats current and up to date. Well, if you want to see the newest models or upgrades you have to vist a site like Colonial Airstream, there you can find excellent pictures and current information.I know that the guys at Colonial are busy and they manage to do Airstream work for them. What ever Airstream executive,s 16 year old is running their website, someone should light a fire under him.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Harsh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Is it just me or does this multi million dollar company have one of the worst websites on the internet. /// MASSIVE SNIP ///
seems overly harsh. did you pickup the phone, call and ask?

just curious,

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Obviously they do not see their web presence as a significant marketing assess. Says something about the mind set in charge. Maybe it won't be even if done well. But the product isn't presented well at all.

If you have to call them to tell them that tell them......
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Still Harsh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Obviously they do not see their web presence as a significant marketing assess.
how many people here ordered there $60k trailer through the official airstream website, and had it delivered by UPS?

the dealer network seems well thought out and expanding.

for the money being considered, i want a touchy feely relationship with my bauxite.

but that's just me.

we all have different expectations. i guess mine are different than yours.

kevbo
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
But kevbo, you're ignoring the other functions of Web sites, i.e., presenting yourself as attractively & professionally as possible, fostering interest in your product, and keeping people coming back.

It's easy. We all do it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
OK I Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
But kevbo, you're ignoring the other functions of Web sites, i.e., presenting yourself as attractively & professionally as possible, fostering interest in your product, and keeping people coming back.

It's easy. We all do it.
ok, i agree.

could we do nekid airstream web design?

i'd be back everyday, AND i'd buy often.

kevbo
Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree their website is awful. It never seems to be up to date, so when I hear about some fantastic new layout I can't go there first and check it out. I'd think it wouldn't hurt for them to work a little bit harder to convince me to drive the 3 hours to the nearest dealer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well considering that my closest Dealer is over 2 hours away and more than likely doesn't have the model that I want to see in stock and Airstream was poorly represented at 2 of the 3 RV shows I have been to this year...where else are you going to look? They put the website up and treat it as an afterthought, in this day and age if you plan to do business with the general public you need a website as a doorway to bring your customers through. I know, because we do. We have had more than one person come to us via our website and because of the website. We have some issues with ours but so does Airstream and I assure you they make a helluva lot more on a single transaction than we do

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It must be a "Priorities.." thing...

Maybe it's the "Small town in midwest.." thing, but wbsite just seems to be suffering from lack of interest and investment, which may be part of asset redeployment strategy at Airstream.. It was probably outsourced as "project" and ongoing support agreements and updates may be suffering. If they're back-ordered and having production concerns, I'd scale back investing in web and marketing costs and put more bodies and inspectors on the line.. When things are slow, expect a rebound in marketing efforts..

FWIW, just returned from major SF Bay Area RV show, with Toscano there representing Airstream and 8 or 9 trailers on display (including Basecamp with stereo cranked up..). Literature was mostly for 2006 models, and several of display models were 2006 models as well.. Not much energy directed to "New and Exciting!!!" this year... Only 1 Classic Limited model, plus both 25 and 27 Safari SE FB models. Fairly low-key, and increasing emphasis on sales via internet at dealer level.. They are building huge new facility on opposite end of town, perhaps to match new facility for Manteca dealer opened last year.

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
It would prefer that the Airstream website showed the current models AND options.

When something interests me I go to Colonials site so I can see the actual item.

When I was shopping to purchase I was stymied by two things. The nearest dealer is hours away and the website is thin on actual trailer info and photo's. Thank heaven several dealers have good sites. That is what saved the day for me.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
From token to non-existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
... and Airstream was poorly represented at 2 of the 3 RV shows I have been to this year...where else are you going to look? ...
Airstream was not represented at all this year in North Alabama's RV show.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Craftsman

harsh? I don't know. It seems to me when you list the different models and then click on one and it say" photo's soon"" for over a year ,someones asleep at the wheel. A lot of potential buyers live hundreads of miles from an Airstream dealer. Me included. This isn't an attempt to limit the information to wet the potential customers appetite, or some brilliant marketing ploy, this is just arrogant neglect.Until recently they had pictures of 2004 models up.I deal with ebay sellers that provide more complete information for what they're selling.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
According the official Airstream site there is no such thing as a Safari 27FB!

How about putting ANY specs and photos for the Safari 27FB on the site so I don't have to depend on the dealer that isn't always up to date? While we are at it, why should I have to call to get a pdf of the available options?

If the wonderful people in customer service can email or fax the list why can't they post it so I can look at it on the weekend. These are things that have been available on web sites for at least 5-8 years.

I agree that Colonial's site is great for showing freinds and family what we are getting. I had hoped the official AS site would have had the photos.

Just my $.02.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
My complaint is also that you cannot find a good representation of fabrics and finishes for interior. When I purchased a new 34' classic recently I had to search and search to find out what the fabric would look like. My dealer was of no help. I finally had to find a trailer in a nearby town to look at the fabric. Not really fair to the dealer since I was not going to purchase from him. Also, the website does not do a good job at all of representing options available on a specific model. When I contacted customer service about options it took nearly three weeks to get a response.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My experiences would agree with those that want more from the mothership's website. I have dealt with several dealerships who sell multiple brands and they have tended not to maintain a broad inventory of Airstreams. The sales people at these dealerships know old units they have moved but demonstrated again and again that they knew nothing about just released options or models -- in our case it was July '05 and we were interested in the new 25' FB SE that didn't have the suicide door of the few '05 units. I learned to do my homework via AS Forums & our sources (Colonial, AS of Arkansas, etc), informed a different salesperson what homework to do before our visit, and put money down on our first trip to an out-of-state dealer.

Airstream's website received virtually no noticeable tweaking at the model year transition last May & June. I feel Airstream could enhance many buyer experiences by having an up to date website. Otherwise the dealer experience can feel too much like the car sales pitch where you're asked little more than "what color do you want?"

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Agree 2x...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos Pete
My complaint is also that you cannot find a good representation of fabrics and finishes for interior.
OK, i agree again. it's kind of like the TV show "Top Chef"; i can't smell or taste the food, but i still like the show. so i agree.

has anyone one taken the time to contact AS, and voiced this? i personally don't go to there website. i could care less. i do what everyone else does, i go to colonials web site. i can see why there the #1 dealer. however don't whine about the official website unless you've made it known to AS. kinda like not voteing and then complaining about the outcome? am i wrong, while listening to the whine, without cheese... (friendly observation).

so i agree.

see, that was easy.

kevin
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
well, as they say, one man's opinion.
I think if you sell something that is considered top of the line, your website should be also. There really is no excuse for not representing current product on the website. And, yes Colonial does the job well.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
OK, i agree again. it's kind of like the TV show "Top Chef"; i can't smell or taste the food, but i still like the show. so i agree.

has anyone one taken the time to contact AS, and voiced this? i personally don't go to there website. i could care less. i do what everyone else does, i go to colonials web site. i can see why there the #1 dealer. however don't whine about the official website unless you've made it known to AS. kinda like not voteing and then complaining about the outcome? am i wrong, while listening to the whine, without cheese... (friendly observation).

so i agree.

see, that was easy.

kevin
Yes...several times!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #19
Craftsman

Kevin you can call it a whine or what ever you want. and... Yes , I've mentioned it directly to Airstream and although I couldn't see the person I was talking to, I got the impression it was pretty much like the " deer in the headlights" response. Look , I would think that the website is Airstreams 'first line' in sales. Anyone interested does a little research by going on line.This is their opportunity to wow the customer.What do you get? Old, outdated incomplete and by the photographs, sometimes misleading information. By all definitions an inferior representation of the product. Look at how many complaints on this website about the poor quality in 2003-4 and 5 it took to start seeing an Airstream leave the line that didn't have major quality control problems. You know" some assembly required". My 2007 Classic is almost without fault.But the website.......stinks.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
seems overly harsh. did you pickup the phone, call and ask?

just curious,

kevin
Good point. I checked Airstream.com, and they are designed by Velocity7. So, I send an email to Velocity7 asking their opinion. Here is a copy of my email to them:
"Howdy. As a result of on-line forum discussions of how outdated and incomplete the Airstream Company
website is, I thought I would email and ask for your
opinion. Your company (Velocity7) has nice things to
say about the Airstream, and the site. However,
several shortcomings have again and again driven
traffic away to seek information from alternative
sources.

1. The lack of current photos ("Photos coming soon"),
even after a full year.
2. Late updates to announcements: several months can
go by before a factory-announced feature/model/change
is posted on the website. Industry buzz drives
traffic, but not to Airstream.com. For example, the
Airstream website still does not acknowledge a Safari
27FB model, which is being sold at dealers now.
3. Outdated pictures: until recently, they had
pictures from the 2004 models that apparently did not
show the latest and greatest, even though Airstream
had upgraded models each year.

Just wanted to know what is going on with the website
so I can post a message for the forum.

Thanks.

Phil Abernathy
Owner of 1961 24' Airstream Tradewind
Member AirstreamForums.com"
I hope I haven't gone too far!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote