Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Camping world? Are they not just across town, in Golden? 10 days you could go there and back on a bicycle with time left over.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn....

Make a list of the problems you are having and call the service department at your dealership. Seriously.

You should also pull your service manual out and read the sections on each area you are having difficulty with.

Some of these things may be part of your learning curve that you haven't gotten to yet.

You might also post them on your New Interstate ownership thread, which more Interstate owners frequent, as others here may be able to help you.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to each of Maggie's excellent suggestions, especially a new thread to focus on your vehicle. Suggest also putting communications with dealer and Jackson Center in emails, just in case . . .

Once you are over these learning curve hurdles you will be on the road again and having fun!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Glad you got home safely. I enjoyed meeting you when you were in Ft. Worth.

Talk to the people at Vogt about the battery problems. Goliath might have sat on their lot long enough for age and discharge to damage the batteries--if so, they owe you some new ones.

I agree with Maggie's advice to get into the manuals and learn Goliath's systems one at a time. You were a nurse, and no machine on earth is as complicated as we humans are on the inside. You can do this. Let me know if I can help. I don't know much about Interstates, but I am trained in aircraft maintenance, and the basic stuff crosses over.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Thanks, guys. I did call my service guy in Ft Worth. He walked me thru some more stuff, some of which I vaguely recollected, as he went over it again. I had left the main disconnect switch on, and he said that will drain power as well.

He reminded me that if I start the vehicle, I can then get charge to the generator...which I did, and it turned right over. He told me to let it run about 2 hrs, then check it, and call him back. There is also a battery assist (boost) button that you can access if the vehicle does not start right up. I WILL REMEMBER that one. I was thinking the generator was always available to charge the batteries...and that is true,but, there has to be some battery power to start the gen. Little by little, it is starting to sink in!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For me, once I actually do something, it stays with me better.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Yep, doing it does make it sink in! Methods of learning....reading hearing, seeing, doing! So, gen is still charging, and service guy says he wants me to see a ' float' charge that is stable. I do to. He said if the battery is not good they will respond.
Most certainly, there is a lot of info to learn, but, I think breaking it down into smaller portions, focusing on each system, dealing with one at a time.....may just help it to click in.
So, the learning continues. (You can teach an old gal new stuff)! LOL!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Well, Evelyn, sounds like you have had a tiring trip but glad you are home. Hope you got all of the kinks worked out of Goliath. I have had some issues with Boomer, but the folks in the camps have been very nice to help me out. I went through the books that came with the trailer more than once and still have some surprises. They have been minor, sort of, but maybe I have the kinks worked out. I am sure after a few false starts, you will have everything worked out. Sounds like the people in Ft. Worth have been good to work with.
Still having a great time out here. Hit something in the road and blew a tire on Vinny but rather that than on Boomer. Everything went fine in changing it and have purchased a new tire. Glad I put the tire in the pickup bed before I left so I did not have to get it from under the pickup.
I have met some really nice people and only one or two "cranks". For some reason, they do not think someone my age should be on the road. Told me I should have a job and doing something productive. Was not worth an argument. I wanted to ask them why they did not have a job, but let it go. Was afraid I would ended up having to shoot them.
Will go for now. I am so hopeful that you are starting on a new journey that will place many additions in your memory book. All the best, Ashley.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Ashley, sorry to hear of your negative experience with "the cranks"! I don't know what some idiots think gives them the right to 'rain on your parade'. Probably jealousy! Ignore those types....not worth your time. Most campers are nice and supportive, but, I guess there are a few rotten apples in every barrel.

I'm glad you were prepared to deal with the blown tire. I would need to call AAA.

You are smart in not announcing where you are going, or where you are currently. It would be interesting to know where you have been. I would love to hear of your travel experiences and of places you have been, what sort of campsites you have found along the way.

Do you have a dog yet? I still encourage you to get a big one for a companion as well as for your protection. They can be a terrific travel buddy and companion. Let me know how you're doing. Evelyn.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn, we need an update on you and Goliath!

How is it, having fun, taken the grands for a ride yet?

Inquiring minds have been wondering where you are and what's happening.

Maggie
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Hi Maggie,
No worries here. No, Deb has not asked for a ride, and the grands have not called. (Maybe they're a bit peeved that I'm spending their inheritance! LOL!)

I continued with charging the batteries up with the gen till the sun took over the charge. It seems to be OK @ 12.75 .

As for me, I'm still sort of pampering my aching shoulders and knees, and they do seem to be improving gradually.

I went on line to the container store last night and ordered a complete set of China storage containers...for "Goliath's" Lenox porcelain dishes, (butterfly pattern) and also for Waterford wine and cognac/ brandy crystal. No, I won't take these on my boondocking trip, but, will on others that are not so rough travel.

I do have a supply of paper plates and bowls and plastic ware for those more austere trips.

For now, am in planning process...of what and what not to pack and leave in "Goliath".
I am thinking to keep some canned soups, chicken breast, tuna, salmon,etc. in it. Maybe a bucket of Wise prepped food as well., bottled water, bottled zero fruit waters.

I'm open for ideas. Evelyn.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like you will be traveling in style, Evelyn.

I always carry dried pasta of some sort....garlic, olive oil, cheese is a hearty meal if you're really hungry.

Maybe a couple of cans of a favorite soup, tea, etc.

I try for a fully functioning kitchen, on a small scale, when I am traveling.

You are planning and putting things together...that is always so much fun.

Keep us posted, we are interested and rooting for you.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Well, the dreaded 'first ding' has occurred! Apparently, a rock threw into my windshield while on trip home, on passenger side. It is small, (Nicole to quarter size), star shape, so I think Safelite can bond repair it. I hope so, as my deductible is $500.00. He'll be here this afternoon.

It seems, I spent a good portion of last night....planning, thinking of what to put in "Goliath"......instead of sleeping. I could not turn it off! To be expected I guess.

There are some items that will go in .... Or out....depending on the type of trip.,and whether I plan on RV PARKS or dry camping. I think I will take a gas grill on boondocking trips, along with a gas fired "little red campfire". I think they will tuck in the storage area behind the sofa/bed. I probably will bring them on our trip this fall.

I will pack the porcelain and crystal in individual storage containers, put in the china cabinet, then take with, as the trip indicates. When I plan RV hookups, I'll use induction plate to cook on....outside grill for nice days outdoors. I guess I'll end up with too much stuff! Time and experience will pare down the list, I'm sure.

I like to cook frozen veggies, and take frozen fruits and meats, fish...when I can. It will, of course, depend on power management / needs. I like the dual fridge/freezer, but,it does pull a lot of power. We'll see soon enough.
Evelyn.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Hi Evelyn:

Glad you made it safe and sound and are preparing for the "big adventure". We had another brand 38' MoHo with generator etc. In case no one mentioned to you the generators run off the same fuel you are using to run the Interstate. The one you have probably burns about 1/3 - 3/4 a gallon of Diesel and hour, not sure of the gen size. In any case when the fuel tank in the Interstate reaches a per-programed set point, usually 20-25% of tank capacity, the generator will no longer be able to pull fuel. With that in mind we always kept the tank on our MoHo at about 1/2 full or more before we stopped for the evening, so in the event we needed the generator for an extended period it would not shut down.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
The Interstate generator runs on propane, the engine runs on diesel.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
The Interstate generator runs on propane, the engine runs on diesel.

Even better. Learn something new every day. Thanks
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Gen on LP, Auto on Diesel....that was a good selling point for me. I like that I won't need to try and balance between the two systems.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
HI Evelyn
Been reading your thread & am enjoying your enthisiasum on your new purchase! I'd love to see pictures!!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Welcome, Jane. I seem to recall you visited with Maggie in S.C. recently? Will you be coming on our fall trip to Oregon?

I awoke this morning to see "Goliath" in front of my home, shrouded in heavy snow. He looks so cold and lonely out there, poor baby! We are getting another of our late spring snow storms....expecting 1- 1 1/2 feet of the heavy wet snow....

I went out yesterday to check battery levels and they are stable at 12.75. Given the reports of the magnitude of this storm system extending into Texas, Ok., Ks, NM, and Colorado.... I feel very relieved to be home with "Goliath" safe in front of my house!
I look forward to warmer weather and the ability to take him out to explore!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My Bro in Law had to cancel his camping trip with the Scouts in the OK pan handle due to that weather system. was working outside in a tee shirt repairing the floor on my Argosy. I hope that weather doesn't make it to Ontario.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote