Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Arrow TV Antenna on Classic Roof

I have one of these folding antennas on the 310, that is operated from a single up-down switch. From what I gather they were common on late 70's and early 80's motor homes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ant down.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	24670 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ant up.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	24671

Does any one know where I can purchase the spares, in particular the gears as mine have broken beyond repair or even pattern making. I also need to convert to 75 ohm impedance/cable. Any thoughts on that.

It seems to work OK otherwise apart from dirt on the switch.

I would be interested in buying a second hand Antenna if some one has thrown theirs out.

There will be the trouble of shipping it to the UK,although there are contacts in the USA That have offered to help in the shipping department.

Thank you in advance
Chuck
Dorset UK

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
Antenna

The antenna that you have is a Braund. They are made in Michigan. The ones that go up and down no longer exist.
You can buy a manual one that bolts right on. You also can buy a gear kit for approx. $9.00 at any Camping World store.

Pat370
Pat370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Thank you PAT 370, I did look up Camping Worlds web site and could not find any reference, also they are not very helpful when ordering from overseas.

I did find the Braund site though, and written to them so keeping fingers crossed....

At least now I know what brand (Braund) it is - sorry couldn't resist that!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Thank you PAT 370, I did look up Camping Worlds web site and could not find any reference, also they are not very helpful when ordering from overseas.

I did find the Braund site though, and written to them so keeping fingers crossed....

At least now I know what brand (Braund) it is - sorry couldn't resist that!
Chuckles, In addition, the model is called a Skyliner, and you just may find a set of gears still available at one of your local (hopefully) RV parts stores. They were excellent antennas, but the gears will eventually break no matter how careful you are. There is supposed to be a cover over the gears, and that helps a little. Be sure to put lots of silicone dielectric paste on the gears if you get another set. You'll need a set of snap ring pliers to remove the antenna support posts to replace the gears. Buy all the sets they have - if you plan on keeping the antenna . Have you tried Camping World's Technical Service department? They are usually very helpful with things like this. 1-800-622-6264.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Tim, thanks for that. I will try Camping world again and see what happens.

I did get a reply from the Braund site (service@barkermfg.com) and they say they have.... "THE DELRIN GEAR BUT DO NOT HAVE DRIVE GEAR..." As I see no reference to gear names in the airstream manual I have asked for an explanation and also if the drive gear will be available later.
I will keep you all posted on that one.

PS Just rang Camping world - No-Go; nothing left in stock

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Weren't these electric antennas also available on the first Excella 500's? I thought I saw it as an option in my 1971 Excella brochure. I'm in Arizona right now, so I don't have access to my sales brochures.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I'm interested also!

Chuck, let me know what you find out. I am interested in repairing my antenna also. Mine will go up and down but once it rotates past a certain point it won't return without a trip up onto the roof.

I looked at the gears and one of them seems to be missing a tooth. I can't remember which one without going back up on the roof right now but I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chuckles, you will see that I live a couple of hours from you, but keep my Airstream in the USA, where the roads are wide, and the State Park campgrounds are wonderful, (and all the kids are above average! - don't you listen to Prairie Home Companion??). Both parts of the Skyliner gears come as a kit. I purchased my spare kit for about £5 from http://www.marksrv.com/antenna.htm
They will post items very promptly, in my experience.
It would be worth buying an extra kit as a spare. The only tricky part of the replacement is withdrawing the small steel rod that passes through the gear, provided, as recommended above, you have some circlip pliers.
If the remainder of the antenna is in poor condition from corrosion and UV degradation, you might consider replacing it with the ubiquitous "batwing" antenna. The Skyliners are no longer available.
Alden, I hope this is of assistance to you.
Nick.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Hold on...

A google search turned up a place that might have the parts.

http://www.marksrv.com/antenna.htm

Says they have replacement gears for about $9.00.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Chuckles,

Looks like you have some good leads. Sorry about C.W., but that part hasn't been made in a while. Many RV parts places, usually dealerships with a parts department, carry the gear kits. Should be still some around. I'll run up to my local place tomorrow, and get one if they have any left - IF that's something you'd like for me to do. Then I'll let you know and we can PM to make arrangements to get it to you, if you like. The two gears are generally called a "worm gear" - which is a straight tubular gear that runs on the base. As Nick said, the metal pin in that one can be a little tricky, but I've replaced it enough that I'm sure you can do the same. The other gear is usually called the "lift gear" and is a half-circle type affair that raises and lowers the antenna when you turn the worm gear from inside the MoHo. I have no idea which gear they're calling a DELRIN, but there aren't but 2 gears, so it really doesn't matter. By the way, sooner or later the gears chip like Alden described. I've never found a way to stop that in the 23 years I've had rigs with that antenna.

Hope this helps.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I have the same ant in my 73 Sov. It is manual.
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisgardne
I have the same ant in my 73 Sov. It is manual.
Yeh, I'm not sure what some posts mean by electric, unless they're talking about the antenna booster on the wall inside. I've never seen a Skyliner with an electric lift, if that's what folks are referring to, but I guess anything's possible.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I got it

I have a complete antenna and the gearing mechanism at the base. I will send it to you if you need it. Anyone listening in....I need a complete antenna assembly that mounts on the front of the older Airstreams. Raises vertically then folds out. Controled from the interior.
RC
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
One of the first things I did after bringing Chummy home was to take of the TV antenna and it still sits here. I just hate the way they look and never watch TV. Chuckles, Brit TV is awful why do you want a TV antenna?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Ugly as sin

I don't plan on using it...really. I want to camo the holes that were there from the previous mount. I don't want a scab patch and a flush patch is beyond me on that compound curve of the corner. I just finished the polish job and can try a polished antenna. I'd rather avoid it....got any other ideas? Maybe rivnuts with polished stainless buttonheads.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
My word! you have been busy overnight - for me any way....

I rose this morning to find all the entries and once again these forums come to the rescue, thank you one and all for your interest and replies.

The offers of used antennas, is most gratefully received, I have PM'd you all on that.

I have ordered the gear set from Marks RV as well, when you are many thousand miles away from source one tends to cover all angles and keep a stock of parts. Who knows when I might move off accidentally with the antenna still up and that low branch........ I say no more.

I will keep you all up to date if and when the gear set arrive and progress on the repairs.

Kent, you are correct, the English Television is a lot to be desired, but weather forecasts can be a guide (they are rarely accurate!) and the odd program does give the eyes a rest from reading.

Nick that is interesting you are not far from me, but I couldn't see where. Out of interest have you used the antenna to receive the likes of UK broadcasts? Are you going to the USRV Show in Shepton Mallett? I will be there with another Streamer, and some GMC owners.

Thank you all again, and for those who have similar problems I hope this thread has been useful. I will attempt to cover repairs/replacements with photos - keep looking!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Chuck, I've PM'd you. Calstock on the Tamar river is our home, 15 miles north of Plymouth. I'll Google the USRV show and see if we can make it.
Nick.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
I have now ordered two sets of gears from www.marksrv.com at just under $9 each plus shipping. let's hope they are the correct ones!

I was on the roof again today and realised that there may be other minor parts broken or missing - I think! Is there a manual or somewhere it can be downloaded from?

It may be possible to make up one good one out of two or more as there has been some very kind offers from fellow members. Thank you one and all.

What I am proposing is to pass one set of gears on to a gear maker and have set made up in brass or similar.

I am wondering why they are plastic, is it to reduce static/electrical surge/ or interfering with the earth (sorry grounding) of the antenna?

Can any one throw a light on this subject, or come up with a reason that I should not have a metal set made up and use them instead of the plastic.
You never know ..... a metal set may be the answer?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
I am wondering why they are plastic, is it to reduce static/electrical surge/ or interfering with the earth (sorry grounding) of the antenna?

Can any one throw a light on this subject, or come up with a reason that I should not have a metal set made up and use them instead of the plastic.
You never know ..... a metal set may be the answer?__________________
Chuck
Dorset UK[quote]

Chuck,

My guess is that they were made of plastic so you would have to keep buying them. I'm certain it has nothing to do with static, surges, or grounding - since the base is a ground anyway.

If you can get a set made of metal, I'd do it. In the meantime, be sure to put lubrication (WD40, Spray Silicone) on EVERY moving part - and there are lots of pivot points on that antenna. That will take some of the load off the plastic gears. Again, put a good coat of silicone dielectric on the gears as well. That should give you a much longer time between gear replacements.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Probably the same reason Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth used nylon timing gears...to reduce noise maybe? By the way, when you see the reference to "electric", noiva, there was a switch on the wall to electrically lift and lower the antenna. The 1971 Excella 500 was the first, I believe, to have this feature.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote