Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Project motorhome

I'm Dave. My wife and I just snagged a 1982 classic 28' motorhome. It was sitting for 8 years and is on borrowed time. Some dopers broke in and cut lots of wires. Basically it's a mess. My plan is to save the old gal from being turned into beer cans. Any other RV would have been a no-go. The cool-factor of these things is so high that I'm willing to put the time and money into it. I'm pretty handy, but I'm sure I'll be picking the brains of those in the know about the "where" and "how's" of it. First order of business is to get it home. It's sitting about 1.25 hours away. The carb is out and is being rebuilt. It has 60 gallons of 8 year-old gas in the tank. You can see where this is going. Anyhow, I'm excited about this project, and I'm optimistic that I can have it home in about a month. Thanks in advance for the insights and I hope to meet some of you soon at one of the rallies.
Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Okay, wow; I hope you know what you've got yourself in for........

First up, introduce yourself in the Classic motorhome forums (find motorhome tab if you hover on Forums tab, and then select Classic motorhomes).

Then be prepared to be overwhelmed with a lot of information that will blow your mind but will eventually will make sense.

Read this thread first before doing or starting anything.......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ce-161521.html

Cheers
Tony

PS replace all fuel lines anywhere near the engine as we have lost a number of these beauties from fuel fires over the years.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nt-162052.html

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Ok thanks Isuzu. The carburetor goes in a few days from now, and I'll dump the gas, flush, and re-hose. I have a new fuel pump on standby, and belts. I just have to figure out how to get up in there to get the belts in position and tightened. I have no idea how to get in there and move the AC and hydro pumps. I'll probably have to lie down in the mouse poop on top of the engine for the AC, but the hydro is going to be a beast. I can't even move it up on ramps because it's out in a field. Towing may have to happen. I'll update when I have something to update. I appreciate this venue for exchanging ideas. Rvnewbie
Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
great that you are rescuing one. Keep us posted on the progress and some photos would be a treat.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Ok. An update is due as a fair amount has happened. I tried to post pictures as requested last week, but I deleted the post because the pictures ended up upside-down. I'll confer with my 14 year-old and have some posted soon. I got belts replaced, new alternator, and coolant topped off. Drained the old gas and put some fresh stuff in. Installed the rebuilt carburetor and cranked until fresh gas was coming from the pump. Connected the fuel line to the carburetor and it started right up. All I have left to do before I move it to my place is replace a couple fuel lines (including the supply/return lines from the tank which will be beastly) and figure out how to bleed/replace fluid in the brake system. Then I have to figure out what the best time of day will be to make a stealthy beeline for my house. One guy suggested that I make a sign to tape on the back that says "moving to my new deer-lease". He swears that it worked for him. I'm not that lucky though. Thanks for making me feel welcome on this forum. I look forward to making your acquaintance at a future rally. Newbie
Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you use the Edit function in your Photos app, and reduce the size of your pictures a bit, they should post properly.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnewbie View Post
Ok. An update is due as a fair amount has happened. I tried to post pictures as requested last week, but I deleted the post because the pictures ended up upside-down. I'll confer with my 14 year-old and have some posted soon. I got belts replaced, new alternator, and coolant topped off. Drained the old gas and put some fresh stuff in. Installed the rebuilt carburetor and cranked until fresh gas was coming from the pump. Connected the fuel line to the carburetor and it started right up. All I have left to do before I move it to my place is replace a couple fuel lines (including the supply/return lines from the tank which will be beastly) and figure out how to bleed/replace fluid in the brake system. Then I have to figure out what the best time of day will be to make a stealthy beeline for my house. One guy suggested that I make a sign to tape on the back that says "moving to my new deer-lease". He swears that it worked for him. I'm not that lucky though. Thanks for making me feel welcome on this forum. I look forward to making your acquaintance at a future rally. Newbie
In order to replace the supply and return lines from the tank be prepared to drop the tank for access. Unfortunately there's no easy way around it. With that said there are a few forum members who have cut access holes in the floor above the gas tank to provide access to the fuel lines. If you're going to do a complete refurb that might be the easiest to do at this point in time.

Looking forward to pictures and good luck with the move!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
It's not going to be a shell-off restoration, but it's down to the subfloor. One interesting thing I found is there is already a square hole cut in the subfloor midway back. The aluminum sheeting is intact still underneath that, but I'll have to measure carefully before I cut into it to make sure that the sending unit is right there. Ok, I'm going to try the pictures again. I could only change the aspect in my photo settings, not the size. I'll send more detailed ones later if this works. Here goes. Newbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3678.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	731.8 KB
ID:	285150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3676.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	285151  

Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Pictures came out just fine and your coach doesn't look that bad! Is this where it's currently parked waiting for the trip to it's new home? I bought a 345 parked in a similar setting and I didn't realize it until after I'd crawled under it that I was laying in a tick bed! THAT was not a pleasant experience

Considering the circumstances I would certainly consider cutting through the floor to access the to of the tank. It would certainly make life a lot easier and quicker. Removing the tank in it's present setting would be a real challenge. Certainly not one that I would want to deal with.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Albuquerque , New Mexico
you probably know this, but watch your speed if your tyres are 8 years or more old

good luck! i'm (slowly) restoring a very similiar unit
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
As for cutting a hole in the floor, here is my project for installing a in tank fuel pump:
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...uel/index.html
Mine is a 84 270, so your tank location will probably be somewhere else.
To replace the lines, you will still likely have to drop the tank to do the job right. If you cant move it with the old lines, you could do a quick transport job by running rubber lines all the way, as long as you keep them FAR away from the exhaust manifold and pipes. As soon as you get to your destination, do the job right!
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Brad, thanks for the advice. Texas ticks are nothing to mess with! I usually lube up with a couple layers of deepwoods OFF and drop a tarp under the coach before diving under. The pictures are taken where it has sat since it was parked 2 owners and at least 8 years ago. Ideally I will cobble it together to get it home where I can drop the tank. I'm going to replace ALL the rubber everywhere. As KYOTE pointed out, the tires are certainly suspect too. They look great, but they are checked in a few places. They will all be replaced before I put this AS into service. Wayne, your TBI mod with the fuel pumps looks like an awesome option. I may look into that in the future. I think the blurry eyed, medium range plan is to make it run as best as I can with stock components. Get the interior upgraded/refurbished. Use the MH for a year or so and see what the wife thinks. If this works for us, I will do some power train upgrades. One option would be to re-power it with a Cummins or Duramax. I can envision many miles and years of use including trips to Alaska where my folks live. That type of use/abuse would probably necessitate a strong Diesel engine as well as some suspension upgrades. All that is years out though. I'll just be ecstatic to get it home where I can tinker to my hearts content without providing a source of nourishment to the ticks.
Fraternally,
Dave
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnewbie View Post
Brad, thanks for the advice. Texas ticks are nothing to mess with! I usually lube up with a couple layers of deepwoods OFF and drop a tarp under the coach before diving under. The pictures are taken where it has sat since it was parked 2 owners and at least 8 years ago. Ideally I will cobble it together to get it home where I can drop the tank. I'm going to replace ALL the rubber everywhere. As KYOTE pointed out, the tires are certainly suspect too. They look great, but they are checked in a few places. They will all be replaced before I put this AS into service. Wayne, your TBI mod with the fuel pumps looks like an awesome option. I may look into that in the future. I think the blurry eyed, medium range plan is to make it run as best as I can with stock components. Get the interior upgraded/refurbished. Use the MH for a year or so and see what the wife thinks. If this works for us, I will do some power train upgrades. One option would be to re-power it with a Cummins or Duramax. I can envision many miles and years of use including trips to Alaska where my folks live. That type of use/abuse would probably necessitate a strong Diesel engine as well as some suspension upgrades. All that is years out though. I'll just be ecstatic to get it home where I can tinker to my hearts content without providing a source of nourishment to the ticks.
Fraternally,
Dave
My ticks were Oklahoma ticks but my guess is the all have the same effect!

Driving slow you should be able to get home on your old tires, just take it easy and don't be afraid to pull over to let them cool down. Disintegrating tires can do a lot of damage at speed. I experience that with an old Winnebago. Tires looked good so I thought I could make it, nope, had a blowout that damaged the bathroom floor.

There are some threads where the coaches have been re-powered with different V8s and diesels. Not a trivial task but if planned properly and facilities are available it can definitely be done.

Brad
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Resurrection

Hello,
You and I are in a very similar place. Can I make a suggestion? Call a towing co, have them bring a landall rollback trailor. It will be worth the money to get it back home in your drive. Tools, concrete, food, no stress. If it's been sitting for 8 years, you know nothing about the engine. Fuel pump, bearings, water pump, hoses, belts. Transmission? At home you got the luxury of talking those things on your own time. I've been there done that, That is a little enough unit ,a tow truck with a stinger, it grabs the front wheels on a cradle . Don t bumper tow it. The classics bumpers are pure vanity. No strength in them. That tow may cost you 400 bucks, but it will be piece of mind worth it.
From the looks of it, it's got some good bones. A good cleaning will help your moral, when you get overwhelmed with the project. My 325 looks like it sat in the woods for years. . Moss, black caked on sap I think. My arms fell off last summer cleaning and polishing. I m not done yet. But it looks a heck of a lot better. Stream on dude and dude tote. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
That s dudette.
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
See that it hasn't been mentioned here in your thread yet, but look on sidewall of tires on your 280. There should be a DOT stamp somewhere along the sidewall (usually close to the bead) After DOT there will be a set of 4 numbers. Example would be 1017, which would mean, tires were manufactured, the 10th week of year 2017. But, if this has been parked for 8 years, I'm betting tires are 8+ years old. Most will tell you, anything over 7, you're not safe to drive any distance.

As well, do what you can with fuel system hoses for now, most here (KeyAir being one of them) has actually dropped tank, cleaned inside of tank and resealed inside, painted outside before installing new sending unit and re-installing fuel tank. Doing just that is on my 'DO' list.

Good luck, be great to see another one of the Airstream Classics make it back on the road again!

Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Not much to update on the movement of the 280. Too busy with graduations and work. I went up about a week ago to do an oil change, adjust the carb, and fill the tires... all in hopes that I could move it to my place soon. The steer tires aren't very encouraging in the way they took air. Bulges and squishy feel makes me think I need to at least get those done before the move. Thanks to those of you who warned about that. I might not have paid too much attention as i aired them up if it weren't for those warnings. Brakes are grabby. The red light on the dash warns about some sort of brake issue too. Chances are that the calipers are rusted together. When I move the MH up and down the field, there is a moaning sound as though something isn't releasing just yet, but there is definite braking action. The discs are super rusty which probably accounts for some of that. So...does anybody have suggestions as to what tire I should get? Drive axle? Steer axle? There is one thread where somebody swears by Michelin xze tires to the tune of around 400$/tire. I would love to hear about some other tire love stories. Thanks in advance. Newbie
Old 05-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Maybe the light is telling you that the parking brake is set?
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Maybe you ought to think about having it towed.....just saying....Regards,Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Maybe you ought to think about having it towed.....just saying....Regards,Bob
This is excellent advice. I do recall a dash light coming on when I was low on brake fluid and stepped on the pedal, but I think filling up with brake fluid and hitting the road would be a bad idea.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote