Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Price

Hello everyone
in recent days, I started to renovate the kitchen furniture, and seeing the construction, my god.
then I asked myself, (the RV Argosy I think in the 70s. It was not cheap), sorry for the criticism, but as they could (I do not know if everyone is like or just mine armed them with such a low cost) rv expensive as performing the economic kitchen cabinet in an expensive rV?
anyone know how much was the price of that time Argosy? the truth that I'm interested to know
Thank you
Herman
german6563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by german6563 View Post
Hello everyone
in recent days, I started to renovate the kitchen furniture, and seeing the construction, my god.
then I asked myself, (the RV Argosy I think in the 70s. It was not cheap), sorry for the criticism, but as they could (I do not know if everyone is like or just mine armed them with such a low cost) rv expensive as performing the economic kitchen cabinet in an expensive rV?
anyone know how much was the price of that time Argosy? the truth that I'm interested to know
Thank you
Herman
What size Argosy?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hello everyone
Thank you
Herman
Trailer or Motorhome?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Hi
sorry
Is Argosy motorhome 24
Old 09-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
This the spec and pricing list from 1975

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That'd be a little more than $75k today.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Herman, to your point about the 'quality' of the construction, remember at the time the focus was on 'light-weight' (which means flimsy looking) construction to keep weight down. They would have thought it crazy to install cabinetry made from 5/8" or thicker timber. I would have to say they maybe correct as you will find yourself you have to put in considerable effort in getting the old stuff out!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Hello,
the price was anything but economic,
Martin, I can understand wanting to reduce weight, but I believe that cooperation could be elsewhere in the RV reduce weight and keep it in the kitchen for example.
and throw everything out and try to change with thicker walls and shelves, the front I have to leave the original.
Herman
Old 09-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Hello,
the price was anything but economic,
Martin, I can understand wanting to reduce weight, but I believe that cooperation could be elsewhere in the RV reduce weight and keep it in the kitchen for example.
and throw everything out and try to change with thicker walls and shelves, the front I have to leave the original.
Herman
To give an example Herman, to rebuild the beds, wetroom and kitchen in our 20ft Argosy we used 10 8'x4' sheets of 3/4" maple ply (coated on one side with white laminate), each sheet weighed around 75lb, so we added 750lb of weight. If we had used a frame and ply construction, we would have only used about 120lb in 1/8" ply plus the weight of the timber for the carcass. It would be very difficult to gain that weight back elsewhere; we can do it today using modern materials but they weren't around in the 1970's.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm with Martin on this one.

I have redone every cabinet in my 310, but to save as much weight as I can and yet have a better product has meant I had to come up with different methods of cabinetmaking.

I used solid pine as a face frame and then attached gables in behind. I only attached enough of a gable to mount my slides and that was all, no backs or in most cases, no bottoms or tops of the carcasses, just the front face frame with a few gables maybe 11" deep or so. Because I reduced as much material as I could I was able to use bottom mounted soft close slides, build the drawers bigger and more of them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...s-97332-4.html

If you go back further in the thread you will see I even kept the old gables as they were aluminum with paper board in-between and I couldn't replace them with anything lighter.

The general rule goes like this. For every 100lbs of weight you add to your vehicle you must add 10hp to maintain the same performance. However the more weight you add the more it affects your handling, braking and wear and tear.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote