Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Thanks so much, I might see if you can ship it to a friend in the US and then I'll package up witha few other parts and get it shipped to the UK. Brilliant work btw and one less thing to worry about when on the road!

I remember a nightmare a few years ago (Brad and Martin will also remember) with a knock sensor (service engine) error on my dash (1991 250). We were due to leave for Italy for the Summer vacation the next day. I was about to can the entire vacation when, after getting into the ECM and PROM, I finally fixed it. What it did reveal that some parts (like your module), probably the ECM/PROM and others are total showstoppers if they fail. I think once I get your module, I might buy myself a spare ECM and PROM. I know they rarely fail, but I guess if they do, it is curtains particularly if you are on the road in Europe.

thanks again

Nick
Hey Nick. Just let me know what you want me to do.

As for the ECU failures, I've had one fail on my Landyacht. Mine may have been induced by a near by lightening strike but it sure did set me back a pretty penny to identify the no start issue. One thing I learned was to never park the MH where a tow truck can not get access to the front end. They had to winch my MH around in order to tow it to the repair center. The towing charge alone was $1600 due to the need for a "specialized" tow truck operator.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just for reference sake, here's a copy of the newest schematic diagram of the HFM.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Brad,

I'm working on a solution for you. I've ordered an updated PCB that will allow me to install it in a box and, hopefully, a connector that will connect to the harness connector. I'll let you know when I get it all together.
Sounds good, thanks!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
Here are some pictures of Brad's future module case plug

Back to the question I asked earlier:

When I was thinking about you adding one to your system, I realized the the module gets energized from the fuel pump circuit as soon as the engine starts. Julius, does that sound right and could that be the cause for the old units to burn out? Is this something you considered when you designed yours?
Peter,

Hate to bother you again but is there any way you could take a picture straight into the connector opening? I'm wanting to make sure that the pins are the correct shape and that they're mounted into the housing in the correct orientation. The pins I have for the connector are offset toward the outside of the connector housing. Positions are A=+12V Output, C=+12V Input and D=Gnd. All other pins are left empty. If everything is correct, then I have a solution for Brad and those that don't have the original box.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #105
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Peter,

Hate to bother you again but is there any way you could take a picture straight into the connector opening? I'm wanting to make sure that the pins are the correct shape and that they're mounted into the housing in the correct orientation. The pins I have for the connector are offset toward the outside of the connector housing. Positions are A=+12V Output, C=+12V Input and D=Gnd. All other pins are left empty. If everything is correct, then I have a solution for Brad and those that don't have the original box.

Inside the original housing ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HSMHousing.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	406735  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Inside the original housing ?
Sorry Peter, I should have been more clear. I need a picture of the inside of the connector that you posted the pictures of. I need to see a straight on shot of the contacts that mate to the ECU harness. I should have taken these pics when I had your case in hand but didn't think about it then.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #107
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Sorry Peter, I should have been more clear. I need a picture of the inside of the connector that you posted the pictures of. I need to see a straight on shot of the contacts that mate to the ECU harness. I should have taken these pics when I had your case in hand but didn't think about it then.

not a problem, least I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HSMPlug-3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	406737   Click image for larger version

Name:	HSMPlug-4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	406738  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
not a problem, least I can do.
Perfect!!!! That is the exact connector combination I have the parts for now. I'll now be able to mock up a complete module from connector to PCB in a housing that should work. I received notice that the new PCB with mounting hole has been shipped and I should receive it soon.

Brad, Once I get it all together and tested I'll ship you a complete module with connector and housing.

This has been a fun project.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Initial connector assembly is complete and looks like a perfect match to the one Pete posted in the pictures. Just waiting on the final revision of the board to begin final assembly. Should have the new PCB delivered on Tuesday. Will assembly and test the first prototype then. Brad, I will send out the new completed assembly some day soon after. If you can report back on how everything mates up it would be greatly appreciated. I would do it myself, but the shop that replaced my ECU stowed the connector behind the ECU so I can't easily disconnect the module without removing the ECU first. They also tie wrapped everything up which makes it even harder to get access to the connector to the module.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:41 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Initial connector assembly is complete and looks like a perfect match to the one Pete posted in the pictures. Just waiting on the final revision of the board to begin final assembly. Should have the new PCB delivered on Tuesday. Will assembly and test the first prototype then. Brad, I will send out the new completed assembly some day soon after. If you can report back on how everything mates up it would be greatly appreciated. I would do it myself, but the shop that replaced my ECU stowed the connector behind the ECU so I can't easily disconnect the module without removing the ECU first. They also tie wrapped everything up which makes it even harder to get access to the connector to the module.
Sorry, I've been preoccupied for the last few days.

All of the wiring harnesses in my Argosy have been custom built by me which means it currently has no connector installed to tie into your new module.

Let me know what the case, various connectors, etc. and postages costs are so I can make sure you get paid.

Much appreciated!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Sorry, I've been preoccupied for the last few days.

All of the wiring harnesses in my Argosy have been custom built by me which means it currently has no connector installed to tie into your new module.

Let me know what the case, various connectors, etc. and postages costs are so I can make sure you get paid.

Much appreciated!

Brad

Brad, does your Argosy have an electric fuel pump? If not, than this module would do nothing for you. If you do have an electric fuel pump, then I can send you a housed board with just the pigtail wires coming out. You can then just splice those wires into your existing harness.

I currently have the module side pigtail connector but not the mating connector that's normally on the main harness. If you want, I can try to find the mating connector and supply you with that but you'll still need to splice that into your harness.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, does your Argosy have an electric fuel pump? If not, than this module would do nothing for you. If you do have an electric fuel pump, then I can send you a housed board with just the pigtail wires coming out. You can then just splice those wires into your existing harness.

I currently have the module side pigtail connector but not the mating connector that's normally on the main harness. If you want, I can try to find the mating connector and supply you with that but you'll still need to splice that into your harness.
Actually I have two pumps

Low pressure suction pump and a high pressure injection pump. Each pump is controlled by a separate relay but each relay is driven by the same output from the PCM. I'll just connect your module to that PCM point and all should be good.

I'm good with just a pigtail connector coming out of the fuel pump control module.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Actually I have two pumps

Low pressure suction pump and a high pressure injection pump. Each pump is controlled by a separate relay but each relay is driven by the same output from the PCM. I'll just connect your module to that PCM point and all should be good.

I'm good with just a pigtail connector coming out of the fuel pump control module.
Sounds like an interesting setup. I should receive the new boards on Tuesday. Give me a day or two to verify operation and then I'll send you out the box with pigtail along with a new Rev: 6.1 board. No money is involved. It's my pleasure to lend a hand. The more units I have in the field the better.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Sounds like an interesting setup. I should receive the new boards on Tuesday. Give me a day or two to verify operation and then I'll send you out the box with pigtail along with a new Rev: 6.1 board. No money is involved. It's my pleasure to lend a hand. The more units I have in the field the better.
Wow, that's very much appreciated!

When I was researching what vehicles might have used these boards I was surprised how many different forums had people searching for them.

Have you thought of ways to market the boards?
Old 10-26-2021, 06:11 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Wow, that's very much appreciated!

When I was researching what vehicles might have used these boards I was surprised how many different forums had people searching for them.

Have you thought of ways to market the boards?
I'm on a couple of forums but am open to suggestions. Marketing was never my strong suit.

There's been a slight setback on your board/module. The USPS was supposed to have delivered the new PCB to the house yesterday, but no package was left. Now I'm scrambling to get replacement boards or find out where the USPS delivered them to. I'll let you know as soon as I have more information. Sorry for the delay.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I'm on a couple of forums but am open to suggestions. Marketing was never my strong suit.
Marketing is not my strong suit either! However there are many forums where people have asked about where to find these modules. I've listed a few below. There are three part #s for this module, 10052954, 10052955 & 10052973. I think each is a revision of the original.

I Hate Mud forum

GM Truck Club

GearHead EFI

67-72 Chevy Trucks

I would suggest starting by listing them on ebay with the following header "GM fuel control module 10052954 10052955 10052973"

You never know until you try

Quote:
There's been a slight setback on your board/module. The USPS was supposed to have delivered the new PCB to the house yesterday, but no package was left. Now I'm scrambling to get replacement boards or find out where the USPS delivered them to. I'll let you know as soon as I have more information. Sorry for the delay.
No worries. I've got more then enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life
Old 10-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Marketing is not my strong suit either! However there are many forums where people have asked about where to find these modules. I've listed a few below. There are three part #s for this module, 10052954, 10052955 & 10052973. I think each is a revision of the original.

I Hate Mud forum

GM Truck Club

GearHead EFI

67-72 Chevy Trucks

I would suggest starting by listing them on ebay with the following header "GM fuel control module 10052954 10052955 10052973"

You never know until you try

No worries. I've got more then enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life
Thanks for the suggestions on marketing. I'll give it a try.

As for your module, since they needed to produce a new batch to replace the one in the mail, I decided to make a new design just for your needs. Here's a pic of the board.:

Notice that there are no provisions for the edge connector that's used by the OEM housing. Figured I could save space and make a more secure connection using just through holes for the wires. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. One good point of the newest design is that, because it's a slightly smaller board footprint, it was less expensive to produce. Should have named it Rev: Brad.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The Brad board has been sent to the fabricator. Should be ready in a week. Now I have two options for those that have or don't have an existing module box.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on marketing. I'll give it a try.

As for your module, since they needed to produce a new batch to replace the one in the mail, I decided to make a new design just for your needs. Here's a pic of the board.:

Notice that there are no provisions for the edge connector that's used by the OEM housing. Figured I could save space and make a more secure connection using just through holes for the wires. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. One good point of the newest design is that, because it's a slightly smaller board footprint, it was less expensive to produce. Should have named it Rev: Brad.
I have to admit, I've never had anything named after me before

I guess there's a first for everything!
Old 11-09-2021, 05:50 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Without going too off topic, what is the best approach for me to try and find a spare/matching ECM for my 1991 250? It feels like a good spare to have on my travels.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote