Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Land yacht to 325... maybe

Greetings all - I have come across a 95 land yacht with a 6BT cummins and Allison transmission. So far the engine looks great but the transmission (according to current owner) has an ECU error so won't drive.. apparently common, but seems to be a $1000-$1200 part (from my reading at least). Pretty sure it's the 12V version but the owner is not sure and I'm waiting for the Vin to check.

The LY is generally in rough shape and missing AC units and sections of the interior... rough is a good word for it.

I think it's an Oshkosh chassis... and I just noted the engine is in the rear so not sure what that means for a transmission swap.

My thoughts were to transplant the diesel into my 325 ( 2 cylinders have no compression) and use what parts are in good shape to get mine up and running. for example I'm not sure if the alloy wheels will fit (10 lug I believe).. mine are rather nasty steel wheels. My (325) needs so much doing to it I'm hoping some of the parts would cross over well. It's cheap enough to consider even if the transmission is a fail.

It's cheap, largely because owner wants it gone, it's rough exterior and interior...and been sitting a long time.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks -
Pete
Shinytoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Well - it looks like a non-runner as the 6BT in a rear mount configuration is't going to work. One person has said the mountings including the bell housing is a major fix - not worth it. Any opinions that disagree?
Old 11-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Unless you have the facilities to part out any usable parts and dispose of the rest, I'd say forget it. Just getting it towed to you location will be in the hundreds of dollars. If you do end up picking it up, start by posting usable items that you don't want to keep.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Disposing of a motorhome chassis is not for the meek. I can speak from experience. Some of the items will be highly sought after by fellow motorhome owners. There will be some items that would be worth while to keep around and then there is the rest. It's the rest of the parts that make it a real challenge.

Also, you'll want some big equipment available to deal with the pieces. I had a 14' backhoe/front end loader at my disposal that made lifting the pieces and parts easy. I'm not sure I would want to tackle the job without something like that available, part time availability might work.

You'll also need a fair amount of room for the scrap to be piled at until you can dispose of the remains.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Hi - yeah, I'm a little worried about that. I have plenty of space, well at least until the Miss's yells at me for making a mess

I can tow things around and will be purchasing an engine lift, but there's going to be a lot of left over waste. Possible to part-out but hard work.

My main concern is if that 12V from a pusher will fit. Apparently he engine/transmission mounts are very different than the 'puller' versions.

Cheers, and happy thanksgiving!
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Disposing of a motorhome chassis is not for the meek. I can speak from experience. Some of the items will be highly sought after by fellow motorhome owners. There will be some items that would be worth while to keep around and then there is the rest. It's the rest of the parts that make it a real challenge.

Also, you'll want some big equipment available to deal with the pieces. I had a 14' backhoe/front end loader at my disposal that made lifting the pieces and parts easy. I'm not sure I would want to tackle the job without something like that available, part time availability might work.

You'll also need a fair amount of room for the scrap to be piled at until you can dispose of the remains.

Good luck!

Brad