Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Did pressure test on the radiator and it didn't pass! Isolated radiator from engine and it did. On doing google search 454 evidently is well known to mechanics for intake manifold gasket failure, I did see a small weep from the intake manifold gasket bolt next to the water pump. Upper intake manifold plenum gasket was good, when I got to the lower gasket I was amazed that the engine ran with deteriorated gasket. Plastic gasket held up 15 years, plastic was cracked, and split at the front and back of engine.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Found this great info on 454 truck engine mods...

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ck-combo.2900/
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Mabank , Texas
I'm stumped

Geez Keyair you seem to be everywhere and with all the answers. Good to know though. I have a 1981 280 Excella motorhome. Since it has a 454 and 454's seem to be readily available still I figured parts would be too. Nope. took this device to a chevy house and the guy had no idea what it was. An older fella in the parts house identified it but they had no part #'s and determined that the part was NLA. Since it appears to be a non-item nowadays, what do I do to replace it? The device is the cruise control assist. As you can see mine is long since DX'd. I've seen some similar, but which one(s) adapt best to the Airstream 454?
I have another question but it has to do with capt's chairs. Should I post question and photos here or is there someplace better? I'm a bit perplexed with search results as I do a search and receive an answer that there are 1-50 answers in 1349 posts which makes it somewhat difficult to find the answers needed in a timely manner. Any suggestions for swifter results?
Pulled up the carpet today to discover a nice layer of white sand underneath. Going to be an interesting fixer upper. Thanks in advance for all your help. Sincerely,
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	328842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	328844  

Attached Images

yelsewkrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsewkrats View Post
Geez Keyair you seem to be everywhere and with all the answers. Good to know though. I have a 1981 280 Excella motorhome. Since it has a 454 and 454's seem to be readily available still I figured parts would be too. Nope. took this device to a chevy house and the guy had no idea what it was. An older fella in the parts house identified it but they had no part #'s and determined that the part was NLA. Since it appears to be a non-item nowadays, what do I do to replace it? The device is the cruise control assist. As you can see mine is long since DX'd. I've seen some similar, but which one(s) adapt best to the Airstream 454?
James, I may have the assist module. At least I had one 6 months ago when I stumbled across it sitting on a storage shelf. I'll look this afternoon.

The other option is to replace your existing cruise control system with a new electronic system by Rostra. I've had good success doing the swap as have several others on the forum. Just search for Rostra.

Here's one link for a Rostra cruise control installation.

Quote:
I have another question but it has to do with capt's chairs. Should I post question and photos here or is there someplace better? I'm a bit perplexed with search results as I do a search and receive an answer that there are 1-50 answers in 1349 posts which makes it somewhat difficult to find the answers needed in a timely manner. Any suggestions for swifter results?
Starting a new thread would probably be a good idea. That helps keep things organized on the forums.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I have the Rostra aftermarket cruise control also, works well. Any problems Ive had Ive been able to fix without much effort.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #106
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
thinking of a new engine in my 1985 345 now that its about 200k miles and smokin
my local gm truck guy gave me a quote on a gm crate engine at 2800 but 100% standard 'maybe I should modify it for 2019 ??? better performance
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
If you rebuild the 454, you would be crazy not to install a roller cam...they give you tons of free horsepower, and never wear out...its a no brainer.....

One other option would be to install a Ford V-10.....they are bulletproof, overhead cam engines, easy to set up, coil on plug, 365 hp with fairly low compression, and can take a beating...Many newer motorhomes have ford v-10 in them....Add the beefy trans that is issued with the v-10 and you are good to go for many years.....You can buy a complete v-10 out of a wreck for $2500 all day long......and they are not direct injected motors, with the dreaded high pressure fuel pump......just an idea.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
For a motor that will max out at 3000-3400 RPMs, I couldn't imagine spending the money to go with a roller cam, but that is just me. I've done a lot of "searching" for performance mods for a 454 motorhome motor. There is very little out there. Most is for a 454+ that will run 6000+ RPMs. My MH aint go'ng much over 60 mph anyway and it aint go'ng to rev anything over 3500 RPMs. Spend your money on building torque between 2000-3000 RPMs, and I wish I really knew what those appropriate mods would be. Its kind'a like installing a high performance coil on an engine that only turns 3000 RPMs and a stock coil performs extremely well up to 5000-6000 RPMs.

I really wish Calif would allow us to install FI in place of the old quadrajets...better performance and better emissions. I think that would be one of the best performance mods that I could do. Now before the Calif haters of us "liberals" chime in, I've lived here since I was 9 years old and I do enjoy breathing clean air, so YES I do absolutely agree with our emission standards that we have here (suck that tRump). The issue is Calif doesn't care that a FI system would actually create less emissions...the stupid politicians just want to get rid of the "older" vehicles. Of course, if I got rid of my $20,000 RV and bought a $1M MH, that would mean more money in someone's pocket! Maybe I should become a lobbyist.

But if you have money to spend, what can I say. Oh, I do have to tell this story...a buddy of mine "had" a class C MH with a ford v10. We would travel from northern Calif over the Siskiyou's to Oregon and the sand dunes at North Bend OR. I've got a larger MH and I'm towing more weight then him. I leave him in the DUST going over the mountain grades. He always gets so pissed over that because he has money and he "always" has the best of everything. Oh my! Besides that, he would always complain about the noise and heat that that ford v10 would create and the shitty gas mileage! Now don't label me as a ford hater...I'm not...I drive a 1995 F150 every day and I wish I had the $ to buy a new one (Ford F150 crew cab that is).

Now I'm thinking that the best performance mod I could make is to wait for some asshole driver here to wipe out my Isuzu diesel tool truck...at least one close call here every day. Then I would install the Isuzu turbo diesel motor into my MH. Of course I'm sure that would mean building a new dog house to accommodate that "big" motor.

Hey before y'all get pissed at what I said here, I'm just having a bit of fun, but it would be great to know what 454 engine mods would actually have a real benefit at a proper cost ratio for a motor that needs to produce the best torque for a motor that maxes out at 3500 RPMs.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
For a motor that will max out at 3000-3400 RPMs, I couldn't imagine spending the money to go with a roller cam, but that is just me. I've done a lot of "searching" for performance mods for a 454 motorhome motor. There is very little out there. Most is for a 454+ that will run 6000+ RPMs. My MH aint go'ng much over 60 mph anyway and it aint go'ng to rev anything over 3500 RPMs. Spend your money on building torque between 2000-3000 RPMs, and I wish I really knew what those appropriate mods would be. Its kind'a like installing a high performance coil on an engine that only turns 3000 RPMs and a stock coil performs extremely well up to 5000-6000 RPMs.

Other than something like a Briggs and Stratton I know of no automotive gas engine that only turns 3400 RPM.

I really wish Calif would allow us to install FI in place of the old quadrajets...better performance and better emissions. I think that would be one of the best performance mods that I could do. Now before the Calif haters of us "liberals" chime in, I've lived here since I was 9 years old and I do enjoy breathing clean air, so YES I do absolutely agree with our emission standards that we have here (suck that tRump). The issue is Calif doesn't care that a FI system would actually create less emissions...the stupid politicians just want to get rid of the "older" vehicles. Of course, if I got rid of my $20,000 RV and bought a $1M MH, that would mean more money in someone's pocket! Maybe I should become a lobbyist.

I'm pretty sure that there are some CARB certified fuel injection systems for you.

But if you have money to spend, what can I say. Oh, I do have to tell this story...a buddy of mine "had" a class C MH with a ford v10. We would travel from northern Calif over the Siskiyou's to Oregon and the sand dunes at North Bend OR. I've got a larger MH and I'm towing more weight then him. I leave him in the DUST going over the mountain grades. He always gets so pissed over that because he has money and he "always" has the best of everything. Oh my! Besides that, he would always complain about the noise and heat that that ford v10 would create and the shitty gas mileage! Now don't label me as a ford hater...I'm not...I drive a 1995 F150 every day and I wish I had the $ to buy a new one (Ford F150 crew cab that is).

My 5.4L Lincoln out run a 6.7L Cummins up hill with both towing a 25' Airstream; It's the driver sometimes.

Now I'm thinking that the best performance mod I could make is to wait for some asshole driver here to wipe out my Isuzu diesel tool truck...at least one close call here every day. Then I would install the Isuzu turbo diesel motor into my MH. Of course I'm sure that would mean building a new dog house to accommodate that "big" motor.

I spent the first 60+ years of my life in California; Give it time someone will hit that Isuzu even if it's parked.

Hey before y'all get pissed at what I said here, I'm just having a bit of fun, but it would be great to know what 454 engine mods would actually have a real benefit at a proper cost ratio for a motor that needs to produce the best torque for a motor that maxes out at 3500 RPMs.
I sometimes have to remind people that although the Ford is a V-10, it's 413 cubic inches compared to a 454.

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I’m with ya on the 3500 rpm thing. Will it spin faster? Sure, but those of us who choose not to do that still get to putt around on the original factory motor. This does bring up the question of what an “RV cam” is.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Hey Bob,

What I mean about maxing out just over 3000 RPMs is that with the transmission, gearing and tire size, I'm turning about 2800 rpms at 60 mph and probably about 3000-3100 rpms at 65 mph. I don't even enjoy driving this 37 year old rig down the highway at 65 mph. I try to keep it at 55 to 60 mph. When putting the throttle to the floor I would say that depending on the gear, the power range for the speed is in the 2500-3400+ rpm range. So the horsepower and torque range needs to maximize in that 2000 - 3400 rpm range. Any performance mod that pushes the power range higher then this would be a waste of money and would probably even weaken the power in the 2000-3000+ rpm range.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
I’m with ya on the 3500 rpm thing. Will it spin faster? Sure, but those of us who choose not to do that still get to putt around on the original factory motor. This does bring up the question of what an “RV cam” is.

I also wonder what effects on emissions an RV cam has. An RV cam is not legal in Calif (no mods are actually allowed except headers), but who would know if it still passed an emissions test.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post

Hi, when I was a Mac Tools distributor I had an RV Cam installed in my P-30 Gruman Olsen truck; It is designed to give you more low end torque.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

Ok i will say it again because it is just common sense.....

A roller cam is all about reducing friction.
You install a roller cam in a 454, with 9 :1 compression, and you get about 40 free horsepower.....

A roller cam does not have to be a hot rod cam. They can grind you anything.
For about 650.00 you can get an entire roller cam kit.....now what else ate you going to do to that motor, to gain 40 hp, without increasing compression? (Let me help you out- the answer is nothing) . What else will you do, that extends the life of the motor like that? (Nothing)

The free horsepower is produced by reducing friction. Not to mention increasing the life of many engine parts.

Not installing a roller cam in any pushrod engine build today, is just plain stupid.
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Vortec 7400
L29
The Vortec 7400 L29 7.4 L (454 cu in) V8 was a truck version of the Chevrolet Big-Block engine. Introduced in 1996, it was produced for five years, until replaced by the Vortec 8100. Although introduced as the Vortec 7400 in 1996, it was basically a 454 Big-Block with a hydraulic roller cam, parts more suitable for use in light duty trucks, and more advanced technology. The engine had MPFI (multi-port fuel injection), which gave slightly more power and better fuel economy, and 2 valves per cylinder. The engine had a 107.95mm (4.250 inch) bore, 101.6 millimetres (4.0 inches) stroke, and produced 290 hp (216 kW) at 4000 rpm and 410 lb·ft (556 N·m) at 3200 rpm.

L29 Applications:

1996–2000 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD & 3500 (option)
1996–1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500/GMC Suburban 2500 (option)
1996–2000 Chevrolet Express 3/4 or 1 ton
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I was going to change out a 454 it would be a 1977 or earlier large port Mark IV motor.

If I wanted a roller cam, I'd use a retrofit kit.

There is no comparison between the early large port heads and the later small port heads.

Any 454 will do 4,500 RPM's easy enough....... and dependably.

Just my take.

(It's unfortunate that Mark IV heads won't work on a Mark V block with the factory roller cam and the one piece rear seal. )

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
What drag strips to you guys race your Airstreams at? Ha Ha...just kidding. Wink wink!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I guess then I am just stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
Ok i will say it again because it is just common sense.....

A roller cam is all about reducing friction.
You install a roller cam in a 454, with 9 :1 compression, and you get about 40 free horsepower.....

A roller cam does not have to be a hot rod cam. They can grind you anything.
For about 650.00 you can get an entire roller cam kit.....now what else ate you going to do to that motor, to gain 40 hp, without increasing compression? (Let me help you out- the answer is nothing) . What else will you do, that extends the life of the motor like that? (Nothing)

The free horsepower is produced by reducing friction. Not to mention increasing the life of many engine parts.

Not installing a roller cam in any pushrod engine build today, is just plain stupid.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I guess my point hasn't been clear and for that I apologize.

I never said a 454 couldn't rev above 3400 rpms. I never said that a 454 couldn't run reliably at 6000rpms built as a racing motor.

I have a 1982 Airstream 280 motorhome with a Chevy 454 engine and a Turbo 400 transmission. It has 160,000 miles on it. It runs well. It leaks a little oil and burns oil at the rate acceptable according to the GM factory specifications. It goes down the highway at 55 to 60 MPH. Many times I'm towing a 16' flat trailer hailing my UTV. Two thirds of its time this is on flat highways at basically sea level, the other third is mountain driving.

Of course I can't speak for anyone else's situation, but my motor home engine with its transmission and gearing has a typical operating range of 2000-3000 rpms. I don't ever remembering seeing the rpms go above 3400-3500 rpms and I don't need it to.

So for me at least, and I realize other's situations may be different, I would be looking for torque improvements in that 2000 - 3000 rpm range.

So I guess I'm just not sure why there is a debate as to how high an old Gen IV 454 will rev to.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, and you most likely have a Turbo 475 transmission.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144