Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Indianola , Iowa
Roadside assistance recommendations

Our "free" coach-net assistance program is due to expire. I was wondering what others use or recommend. We do have AAA for the vehicles, so that may be an option.
Thanks in advance!
Larry
Zoom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We have AAA and Good Sam roadside assistance .

The last time we needed assistance my wife called AAA after 10 minutes of conversation with them she still didn’t have the request for service to the point of getting action .
At that point I called Good Sam and within 4 minutes a truck was on the way .
In the meantime my wife was still on the phone with AAA and still nowhere near getting a truck dispatched, so she told the operator to forget it a truck was already on the way from Good Sam .

I’ve been a member of AAA for 48 years and over the years I’ve called for assistance 6 times in all but 1 getting assistance in a reasonable time was not happening .

The problem stems for centralized dispatch centers that are in located in metro areas and doing dispatch for large regions of the state .

Case in point we were on I-5 2 miles from Lakehead , Ca where there was a AAA tow operator . After waiting an hour we called back and after another 10 minutes with the call center they said the truck was on the way .
So we are 8 minutes from the tow truck base and we had passed by it on our way to the break down .
The tow truck should be to us in less then 10 minutes , well 45 minutes later still no truck so we call again and asked where the truck is and where is coming from .

Now bear in mind we are in Northern California at Lake Shasta and the little town of Lakehead on I-5 , now if you’re not familiar where that is , we’re about 100 miles south of the Oregon boarder .

So they said the truck is coming from San Diego !!!

If you’re not sure where that is , it’s about 30 miles north of the Mexican boarder !

At that point we told them to call the truck and to tell them to return to base .
And let’s start over so we told them where we were in the state and how close the tow operator is , they still didn’t have a grasp of where Lakehead is and asked what business were there . We told them we were in the 530 area code and to look up the Basshole bar & grill that will put them in Lakehead and they should be able to find the tow operator .
So they did and in 8 minutes the tow truck showed up !

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote