Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Your trailer is looking great, a lot different from the Can Opener. You all have done so much work since then.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #142
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
heh.. thanks

bathroom is nearly done... just a few small things left to do. it has a light on the ceiling, and another light under the upper cabinet aimed at the sink. the small control panel-looking thingie is the tank level gauge panel... so i can tell how full the tanks are while i'm sitting on the can!

AND... i found the PERFECT countertop pattern!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower cabinet.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	42208   Click image for larger version

Name:	upper cabinet.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	42209  

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	42210   Click image for larger version

Name:	counter.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	42211  

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh man! The boomerang pattern of the atomic age. How cool.

I really hope y'all are coming to the 2008 Can Opener. I can't wait to see this work of art live and in person.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
That was my Mom's kitchen table!

Great job on the renovations. Can't wait to see it live at the Can Opener.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #145
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
wow. i'm starting to think that if i DON'T show up to next year's can opener i'm gonna get lynched!

anyways. more work done, despite another injury (hubby cut his thumb open with a screwdriver ) got some cabinets on the curbside in. tomorrow the rest of them, and the stove and sink!

o yeah, and that big ol' white box in the middle of those cabinets... is a washer/dryer combo. our trailer is gonna have more luxuries than our last house!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	42280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	42281  

Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #146
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You mean you didn't book TopSail yet?

Plan on being there

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #147
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
no... i havn't booked yet... but don't worry. i'll show up.

anyways... progress is good!
kitchen cabinets in, kitchen countertop sorta in (its not anchored down, so don't worry about the funny angle its sitting at) also, as much as i loved the countertop pattern, i couldn't get any of it. i apparantly grabbed an old sample. but don't fret at that plain white counter! i'm going to get creative!

bathroom countertop finished, but again, not anchored down. and the shower stall is almost finished (fought half the day with that stupid white stuff ... i'll finish it off tomorrow.

almost there!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	105
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	42416   Click image for larger version

Views:	117
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	42417  

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	42418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	42419  

Old 08-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
never let it be said katz has no sense of humor~!

i drew that a few weeks back... totally forgot i never shared it with you all
Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #149
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Katz, it's probably too late now, but do asearch here on the forum under "boomerang". Somebody found that formica recently (last year or so?). I think they said it had gone back into production.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Katz, it's probably too late now, but do asearch here on the forum under "boomerang". Somebody found that formica recently (last year or so?). I think they said it had gone back into production.

Jim
I bought some less than 6 months ago, I had to special order it, but it came in less than 3 days.

Katz, your progress is amazing! Thanks for all the pics and updates!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
whooooo! we're *technically* road ready!

stove is in, sink is in. old sink, new faucet Comet does amazing things. floor is in, and Luna approves. Luna also approves of the placement of her 'den'. toilet is in.

things still to be done to FINISH the trailer:
fabricate cabinet doors and drawers
hook up all propane lines
wire in inverter
sew covers for cushions and sew curtains

all that stuff will be done on the road... because we're leavin tomorrow... so we can make it to CT by the 10th, so we can celebrate hubby's b-day and his brother's b-day with his family up there. (thats part o the reason we were pushing so hard to finish up these past few weeks )
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	111
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	42599   Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	42600  

Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	42601   Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	42602  

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	42603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	42604  

Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #152
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since it's already tomorrow, you probably won't see this until you get there, but have a safe trip, and don't hurry. The trip is half the fun.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
well..... we didn't quite get out when we had hoped (partly due to hubby's brother saying "oh, no. i already had plans, don't worry about being here for my birthday. i won't be there"

i was feelin kinda bummed about it... so i decorated

handmade curtains, got the fabric supercheap (85% off original price) because a local fabric store was going out of business. i got enough to cover the dinette cushions, too. and my stuffed unicorn/pegasus/horse collection.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	43190   Click image for larger version

Views:	103
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	43191  

Views:	98
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	43192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	43193  

Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #154
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
SUCCESS! the propane has finally been plumbed!

more decoration....

and we're packing up and GETTING THE HECK OUT TODAY. come h*** or high water... we are getting OUT
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	110
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	43370   Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	43371  

Views:	121
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	43372  
Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 AM   #155
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
well, this is it. even given lack of cabinet doors and drawers, and lack of a finished dinette, we took off Friday. i am writing this post from a Starbucks on the outskirts of Charlotte NC. (free WiFi for teh win! don't worry, hubby bought some of their horribly overpriced coffee) we are officially on our way. fulltimers. WOOHOO!

we spent our first night in a truckstop. since the inverter isn't wired in yet, it was dark, but we were tired and all we wanted was a bed anyway, so that was ok. our next two nights (after a stop at Stone Mountain, GA to view the mountainside carving of the Civil War generals) were spent in Tugaloo State Park, GA. it was WAY off the main road... so far that we were almost afraid we'd missed it and almost turned around to go back and look the other way. it was GREAT there. we verified that all plumbing, electrical, and propane systems were working as intended. and last night, we boondocked in the parkinglot of J.R outlets near Charlotte NC (hubby wants to get some cheap cigarettes before we head father north)

having fun so far!

oh yeah... and the picture? my first entry in my own "find the airstream" game. this was from the state park
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	findtheairstream.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	43612  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
well... where have we been for the past 2 months? holy crap... has it only been two months?!?!?!?!

i been keeping track in my blog, but i, thru sheer chance, stumbled across a fellow forumite yesterday, and he told me i should put it here, too... so here goes!

August 22nd, stopped in the Manassas Battlefield State Park. Funny, i lived in the area for 10 years and never went to the park. Now i have! finally!
picture!

arrived in CT to visit with Hubby's mom on August 24th. spent some time there, but all of the parks in the area wouldn't let Hubby play with his power tools so he could finish the cabinet doors off, so we took off again and went all the way to Vermont! finished off all the cabinet doors and almost all the drawer faces there. when we swung back to CT, we routed thru Salem MASS... wanted to check the place out. very cool... we also learned something VERY VERY VALUABLE. Never ever EVER drive thru or around Boston at 10pm on a holiday weekend. We went past Boston after visiting Salem last, and within the span of an hour I was almost in three different accidents! All three caused by someone trying to get into a traffic lane already occupied by another car. was a bit scary, to say the least.
next, when we were on our way to CT, we had heard about a BIG RV show in Hershey PA, so we swung back around that way and visited Hershey. its COOL there! the air smells like chocolate! and the streetlamps look like Hershey's Kisses!
my husband had entertained the idea of driving a big rig, so our next stop was Memphis TN, near the training facility of a big trucking company...but on our way there we drove right PAST the Airstream dealer that saved our tail when we FIRST bought the trailer... in Cookeville TN... so we stopped in and said "hi!". they remembered us!

The picture is us parked in front of one of the brand new models there. Upon examining some of the features of the new trailers, I realized that all the really cool stuff we added, like the twist-lock power cord inlet and the single water inlet, are all things that the new AS come with...standard or as options. Our trailer only LOOKS old. It may as well be brand new off the showroom floor!

we hung out in around the Memphis area for the greater part of a month... some of that spent in truck stops, some of that spent in Shelby-Meeman State Park (very nice place, by the way). while we were at the park... WE GOT ADOPTED ok, long story sorta short, the little guy was owned by some young people who still lived at home with their dad. dad said "dog can't stay in our house!" (prime example of why you should always ok it with whoever yer living with FIRST before you bring home that cute lil fuzzy!) so he lived with the grandparents. all was well until he started growing up and getting stronger. it seems his young exuberant puppy self was too much for the people he was with, and he apparently pulled grandma off the front porch about a week or so before we met him. they said "enough is enough" and gave him to a friend of thiers. he let the little guy run free... because he couldn't afford to erect a fence. so he took to hanging out at the campground we were staying at. and after about a week, one night he came directly to our trailer. and never left. all night.
i took him home the next morning, and he chased the truck BACK to the campsite.
we asked the owner about it, and he said "ya want him? i can't keep him, and i don't wanna see him get run over on the road or shot by a hunter. give him a good home, and he's yours."

so... we have another dog now. O.o

since then, hubby was turned down by the trucking company, so i started searching around online for something else we could do... and found work camping. we are now the camp hosts of The Woods RV park in Montgomery AL... nice place, too. full hookups, cable, and wifi. we get all that for 3 weekends a month worth of work. if we do more, we get paid for it.

now, we had been camp host for all of... 5 days, when we saw the telltale flash of aluminum from the other side of the park... i wandered over to investigate... and it was none other than Moosetags, from this very forum! we had a very nice chat... he showed me his trailer, i showed him mine. they pulled out this morning, and another airstream pulled in a few hours later! i said "hi"... but didn't really get a chance to chat with them much....

so. thats alotta crap crammed in two months worth of time, eh? feels like a lifetime. thats where we are and what we're doing. i'll try to get some more photos so you all can get caught up with where we are now.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:26 AM   #157
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Wow.....I am thinking of kidnapping you guys when we get to some steps in our rehab. Lol
thezirps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #158
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
wow. talk about a blast from the past! lol.

we happily lived and traveled in our Airstream for many years, and finally decided to upgrade to something a bit bigger.. and almost 2 years ago now, sold it. the nice young man who bought it claimed to be an AIR forums member, but i never followed up if he was or not. ah well. i hope he's enjoying it, wherever he is

we have, unfortunately, moved away from aluminum, and to stainless steel... we purchased a 40ft 1979 GMC transit bus to convert into a motorhome.

in the mean time, a nice co-worker sold us a 30ft 5th wheel to live in SUPER-cheap while we perform the renovations.

i'm sad we don't have the AS anymore, and i still like Airstreams... but i'm glad i had the experience of renovating and living in one.