Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
ok... after more testing and examining, and some help from dad, it seems that there is a short or connection or something between the ground (white) and the brake control wire (yellow). upon examining that connection, i have no idea what's going on there. my ground wire is connected into the yellow wire at the brakes connection... its this correct? if not, what should i do about it? thats what the first picture is.

the other pictures are of my mystery windows. i have examined every window in the trailer, and found nothing even remotely resembling the latch pictured here:

nor do i see anything that could even be described as a possible place such a latch were to catch on the window. color me confused

the very last picture is one of the holes left behind by the oh-so-wonderful last PO's solution to a window that wouldn't shut... a screw right thru it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0165.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	31526   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0161.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	31527  

Name:	SP_A0162.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	31528   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0163.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	31529  

Name:	SP_A0167.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	31530  
Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
WOW - big difference from mine - is yours a Clifornia built, or an Ohio? Your window setup is completely different from mine. I'm not familiar with that style.

here's a close-up of a new latch from inlandrv:

Maybe you could retrofit them to work?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
The "gearbox" for the cranks are available, try Inlandrv, mcmaster-carr, or Door and Window Replacement Parts and Hardware, RV Lifestyles, or many others out there.

I don't have my AS nearby, or I'd take a look at my wiring harness, but no, the yellow hooked to the white doesn't sound right. The white (ground) should be ground to your frame.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Here's a pdf file for the plug. Keep in mind on the plug wiring that the positions of the wires may not be the same as pictured, but it may help as far as what color goes to what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf plug.pdf (28.7 KB, 58 views)
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
something i discovered today.... a set of brand new full dressed axles weighs a crapload!

and as for the wiring pigtail... i'm STILL fighting with it. i have one question for something that is greatly puzzling me. current industry standard has the red wire as left turn AND stop, and the brown wire as right turn AND stop... however, if i'm reading the diagrams i have correctly, the STOP light was its own separate wire in '64 (the black wire). how do i wire that, then? what do i wire the black wire into? or am i just really reading something wrong somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SP_A0170.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	31569  
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #86
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Black s/b backup?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...

i have verified visually that there is indeed a black wire going into my taillights.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
WOW - big difference from mine - is yours a Clifornia built, or an Ohio? Your window setup is completely different from mine. I'm not familiar with that style.

Maybe you could retrofit them to work?
Ace Hardware sells them in their mobile home section, for about $5.99/pair.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
something i discovered today.... a set of brand new full dressed axles weighs a crapload!
and as for the wiring pigtail... i'm STILL fighting with it. i have one question for something that is greatly puzzling me. current industry standard has the red wire as left turn AND stop, and the brown wire as right turn AND stop... however, if i'm reading the diagrams i have correctly, the STOP light was its own separate wire in '64 (the black wire). how do i wire that, then? what do i wire the black wire into? or am i just really reading something wrong somewhere?
Are you talking about where to put it at the plug in the front or back at the tailights ?
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
#$%^#$ *sigh* nevermind all my questions about the pigtail... and remind me to never play with wiring again. after i fought with it all this time, hubby went out and fixed it in 5 minutes

o well

now i feel dumb
Old 01-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
#$%^#$ *sigh* nevermind all my questions about the pigtail... and remind me to never play with wiring again. after i fought with it all this time, hubby went out and fixed it in 5 minutes
o well
now i feel dumb
Glad it all worked out !
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:

o well

now i feel dumb
Don't ya hate it when they do that! Glad you're "wired" now.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #93
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Sorry I did not wait for you, was not sure when you would be home, and since I was outside.. and walking.. well.. as for me.. walking it not fun right now, I was out on my Father-in-Laws boat.. and fell down a opening in the floor, twisted my knee and ankle.. and I think I pulled something in my leg. So now I am hobble-along-Hubby.

And it took a bit more then just 5 min.. I was working on that last night.. too.. not just today...

This is sure putting a damper in my adventure.. I think.. I mean it's still an adventure.. but not going as fast as I would like.

Thanks for advice on the window closers, I'll look for an Ace Hardware around here, and see what I can find.

Or any other store that might have what I am looking for.

Also, I was wondering, those cranks that open the windows, should I replace them, refurb them, or what.. still drumming up plans.

I should have the floor in.. in a few days.. gonna be a few more days.. as my leg is messed up a bit.. but such is life.

Anyway, I am really not in the mood for needing to replace the cranks, but if I need to, I will.

Well, Next step is the floor.. I can't believe this is taking this long.. such a drawn out job this mess is.

DH.
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Hubby
I was out on my Father-in-Laws boat.. and fell down a opening in the floor, twisted my knee and ankle.. and I think I pulled something in my leg. So now I am hobble-along-Hubby.
At least you can still walk, just take it easy for a few days. It will still be there when you feel like doing battle again.
Quote:
This is sure putting a damper in my adventure.. I think.. I mean it's still an adventure.. but not going as fast as I would like.
When your trailer was built, it took a team of workers weeks to build it, and that was with all needed tools and equipment sitting in the same buibding.
Quote:

Thanks for advice on the window closers, I'll look for an Ace Hardware around here, and see what I can find.

Or any other store that might have what I am looking for.

Also, I was wondering, those cranks that open the windows, should I replace them, refurb them, or what.. still drumming up plans.
The window cranks can be found at mobile home supply stores, you may have to use a Dremel tool to grind down the round drum that goes into the window frame so it can roll up and down.
Quote:
Anyway, I am really not in the mood for needing to replace the cranks, but if I need to, I will.

Well, Next step is the floor.. I can't believe this is taking this long.. such a drawn out job this mess is.

DH.
If you want to restore your 1964 Chevy, it would take much longer than you are taking with your trailer, plus most 1964 Chevies don't have plumbing. Take a deep breath, slow down a litle, and enjoy your rehab project.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #95

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
At least you can still walk, just take it easy for a few days. It will still be there when you feel like doing battle again.
Yah know, given what you have been though, you have the amazing ability to really make any normal injury seem like nothing.

Not that is lessens the pain.. or anything.. but makes me feel like a wimp for complaning about it.

Quote:
When your trailer was built, it took a team of workers weeks to build it, and that was with all needed tools and equipment sitting in the same buibding.
Wimps !

Quote:
The window cranks can be found at mobile home supply stores, you may have to use a Dremel tool to grind down the round drum that goes into the window frame so it can roll up and down.
Oooooo thanks for that bit of insight.. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
If you want to restore your 1964 Chevy, it would take much longer than you are taking with your trailer, plus most 1964 Chevies don't have plumbing. Take a deep breath, slow down a litle, and enjoy your rehab project.
I know.. that is why I don't work on cars..... Much... or boats..... or.. well I guess I am just looking at this like it's just a house.. and homes are easy and fast to fix..

And all this stuff, makes me feel like I am a fish out of water flopping around trying to figure out what I am supposed to do next.. and how to do it.

I guess you are right.. I need to take a breath.. step back.. and look at it all again.. just take it easy.. and enjoy the job as it progressess.

Thanks again for the words of support and realization.

DH
Old 02-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #96

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Ok.. quick Update.

Well we were putting in the Axels, and well, out first major accident happend. The Axel landed on my Father-in-Laws finger (Index Finger of his Right hand), 9 stitches and 3 hours in the hospital later, he is doing ok. That was on Thursday, and today he is doing quite well.

Anyway, been working on a new plan with the Axels, because, I like my fingers just the way they are, and not full of stitches. So, my first order was to prevent the Steel from having an area to contact skil. I did this by fabrecating wood wheels (Small wooden wheels just a tad bigger then the normal rims of a tire) this allows me to roll the axel around, with needing to drag it or use dollys. I'll have Katzkalw put up a few pictures of the wheels (I like to call them wagon wheels)

Next, I'll be limiting use to one jack, and a set of braceing, this way, only one side of the axel will be moving at any time. That should lower risks as far as that might go. Going to use a piston jack, as opposed to a arm lift jack, because the piston goes stright up, and I can set the axel and then lift up into place.

Well, now I am just stripping the paint off the interior panels.

I'll talk more about that later.

DH
Old 02-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
i'll post up pics of hubby's "wagon wheels" as soon as i actually take a picture of them... but in the meantime...

he's finally finished stripping the paint off all the interior panels, and this is what I accomplished today!

(new LED taillights, added reverse lights, added in backup camera)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SP_A0195.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	32510  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
i'll post up pics of hubby's "wagon wheels" as soon as i actually take a picture of them... but in the meantime...

he's finally finished stripping the paint off all the interior panels, and this is what I accomplished today!

(new LED taillights, added reverse lights, added in backup camera)
The lights look great, but who is "Finc"?
Stripping paint is no fun, I think I would rather replace axles. Hope your dad is doing okay, and everybody else keeps their fingers attached.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ya know... i have NO idea what "FINC" stood for... it was stuck on the back when i got the trailer... along with a bumpersticker that reads "It may not be pretty, but it sure beats a tent". the PO's attempt at humor, i guess... we all know Airstreams are BEAUTIFUL, right?

ah well... a bottle of 'goof off" should *hopefully* fix that problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
well... YAY, one axle installed, the other has been removed, pending installation of the other axle tomorrow.

i managed to snap a pic of the halfway point... with the one new axle down near the ground, where its supposed to be, and the old axle with petrified rubber, way up off the ground.

i also got a pic of hubby's wooden 'wagon wheel'. unfortunatly i didn't get a pic till after the axle was installed and the wheel removed. i'll try to get a pic tomorrow while we're mid process, so ya all can see the wheel actually in use.

an i drilled a set of holes to install one of the BAL stabilizers only to discover that the screws provided with the stabilizers, don't fit thru the holes in the stabilizers i'll do something about it tomorrow. hopefully by the end of tomorrow, i'll have new axles, and new stabilizers all installed and ready to go. YAY!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SP_A0199.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	32667   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0200.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	32668