Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
d'oh... what i meant was the water pump isn't WIRED into anything... there's wires laying all over the place in that hatch... and the battery was LONG gone... Dad lent me one of his to see if the lights would come on. but THANK you for the rest of that invaluable info!
Also, your little metal toggle switch is for the "scare light", which is a round clear fixture mounted outside the trailer, just ahead of the jalousie windows. Looks kind of like a back-up light for a bus (probably because it is).
Old 12-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
well... we arrived at the park i'd picked out, and came smack into a problem i hadn't thought of... i didn't even know it was a possibility of a problem! my dad is converting an old bus into an RV... and it had been our plan to go somewhere together to celebrate newyears... well, we pull in, and the manager said "nope. park rules, no converted buses" so we pulled out and are now further down the road at "Camping on the Gulf" in Destin. screw 'em! they didn't need our money anyway!

as for the "scare light"... it doesn't seem to work. i have a round amber light in front of my jalousie windows... but nothing happens when i flip the switch.

other than a lack of plumbing, we're set up quite nicely here.. including WiFi (yay!) but after all the stress of trying to get TWO coaches ready for the road, hubby was, understandably, pooped (i'll include a picture when my comp isn't acting flaky)

the trailer towed really well with the WD on it this time.. but i couldn't figure out where to hook up the sway control arm. maybe next time.
katzklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The scare light may have a burned out bulb, IIRC it is a #1137 bulb, or it could have corrosion keeping it from making contact. It is the yellow lens next to the window.
Here is your WD photo, with sway bar mounting instructions:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spa0074nh8 (2).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	30273   Click image for larger version

Name:	shinyex0 (2).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	30274  

Old 01-01-2007, 04:53 AM   #44

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
hijack, sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Zep,

Is Palmer Lake just above Monument? For some reason, the name seems really familiar. I used to live just off Northgate in the 80s and hope to be back in the area within the next year or two (to visit, of course).

I
Pizzachop, Yes. We're at the high point of the railroad along the front range, at the west end of the Monument ridge as it hits the mountains. You've all seen the blizzard reports the last 10 days or so--I've been getting a little exercise digging the vehicles out--due to our elevation of 7,300, Palmer Lake gets the most snow of any town on the front range. But it's a great place, small town close to the Interstate and convenient to both Colorado Springs and Denver.

You won't recognize the area when you come back. It's solid houses on the east side of the Interstate all the way north to the Monument exit. Thre are two shopping plazas at the Baptist Road exit--Wally World, supermarket, and Home Depot kind of stores.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Well we have just spent two days in a RV campground, with the three dogs, and our plumbing is not working yet. it's been fun, as you can all imagine. So hubby decides that for the can opener coming up in a week(Well I helped Hubby decided this by saying ďThe plumbing needs to be working for the can opener, or else), the plumbing needs to be fixed, and just minor maintenance needs to be done, to get the trailer in working order. This was our first run to see how the experience was. All in all it was not a bad run. 3 days and 2 nights at a very nice RV park called "Camping on the Gulf".

It seems my efforts at weather sealing the door and windows, as well as all the other nick nacks I have done, like the door catch, etc. have worked, Hubby was impressed and very happy about that I did however, if we plan to live in NJ during the months of Feb, March, April, and May, we need to insulate this baby. Hubby is already thinking of ideas on how to increase the R-Value of the windows and shell (When he gets there), but any advice that someone could give regarding "Cold Weather Camping" would be great, like heat saving tips and tricks, or how to protect the water lines, etc. I would appreciate it. Right now it's quite cold outside and we are comfy in our trailer, but I can feel the cold coming right though the windows and walls, and it's going to be much colder in NJ, I know that from personal experience after living there for 5 years.

Anyway, the dogs seem to be getting a feel for this, but we have to work on their door manners, as it seems, they have not quite grasped that the door to the trailer is MY Door, and they AREN'T allowed to rush out in front of me!!!!

The campground workers said that I did a really good job of backing the trailer into the spot on our first night in the park, which made me feel really good, and as it seems our trailer is like the smallest one here, people only have positive comments like "Nice, an Airstream" or good things like that. So that makes me feel good when a person with a 36 Montaina Mountaineer with twin pop outs has something nice to say about my little 26 foot metal bubble.

Well, right now it is wake up time, and things are going well, since the stove-top works I am off to make some breakfast.

Pictures Coming Soon, (Well as soon as I can get my computer to cooperate with me) :: Mutter ::

BTW, what kind of Gas Mileage should I expect from my rig? right now I am pushing 10 MPH (normal without hauling the AS is around 16ish), and hubby thinks that it too little, and that there may be like drag in the wheels or something.... any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #46

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Gas mileage--my TV is an F-250 diesel. I get 16-ish mpg when I'm not towing, down at sea level, and about 18 mpg in Colorado. When towing, I get 11 mpg with the Caravel and slightly more, like 11.5, with the Overlander.

Plumbing--you can't solve all your problems with PEX, but I highly recommend it in place of copper pipes. I've done three Airstreams using copper, but after doing my Sovereign in PEX, I wouldn't recommend anything else, especially if you're going to be living in cold climates in the winter. You can see my approach here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ign-23313.html

There are just too many places where the pipes run under the shower or along the edge of the floor in a cabinet where you just know it's more like the outside temperature than the inside. I hate the idea of pumping heat into the belly pan, too, so a freeze-resistant piping is a real boon. Otherwise, you'll be draining your pipes every evening.

Zep
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
dodge...

mileage seems about right. We get 15-16 in our 1ton Dodge B350 van (with 5.9L engine and 3.9ish gears). Towing, I get 8-9 mpg.
How about some kinda rack that puts the scooter on top of the toolbox with the rear tires down on the bed? Onlyl thing I'd be worried about is raising the center of gravity that much.
Great trailer!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hello all this is "Hubby" on the keys now to give an update as to what has been going on with the trailer.

After the "Can Opener" we brought the Trailer home and I started to remove the entire insides, starting with the cabinets (And wow ! There is a lot of cabinets in this little guy)

Anyway, that took days, because I was trying very hard to remove them with the idea that I needed to keep them for templates so that I could build new cabinets, and since this baby does not have one straight wall, keeping the curves correct, is important. But no matter what, there will be loss, a small anchoring piece here, and brace piece there, stuff will get destroyed, broken, or lost. It's just the nature of this type of work.

So with all the cabinets, appliances, and all the internal items now out on the lawn, then I removed the interior shell of the unit. now, this has been done, and I have laid the sheets on the yard, in the order that I took them out, so that the yard looks like a flat jig saw puzzle of the inside of my airstream. Looks kind of wild to tell the truth. All the fiberglass insulation has been removed, (I have not removed the front end of the interior shell , as I am using that for storage right now, but I'll get to that soon enough)

All the wires have been cut out, and I plan to replace them with multi-strand boat wire, as they currently are romex line, which has to go. Now, I have a wiring schematic set up, as to what I am going to do, so that is on plan and on track for now.

Right Now I am working on the floor. Well those bolts are pesky things, I bent a cobalt bit trying to drill them out, so I have decided to just cut a hole around them using my hole saw, the only problem was a hole saw needs a pilot bit to keep it from dancing, and since the bolt is in the way, I needed to build a jig to hold the hole saw. Now I hope that once I get this done the floor should just lift up. (I can hope right?).

I was wondering, since the insulation is between the frame and the floor, what type of spacing should I use, to replace the insulation with, as I am not going to use fiberglass again, instead I am going to use open cell foam (looks like bubble wrap), but I know it is unacceptable to support the floor on top of it, unless I want to hear "Pop... Pop... Pop" until all the bubbles have been popped, and popping all the bubbles is not a desire of mine.

Just thought I would give you all a nice update as to what I have been doing, I'll have Katz post pictures of our progress to date, when she can.

Thanks

Hubby.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sorry for no reply for a while. been a .... full..... week.
anyway. we went to the can opener... that was awsome! met way too many people to remember the names of, ate lots of good food, and had alot of fun. got home, and true to his word, hubby started stripping the interior out of the trailer. the inner shell (with the exception of just the front piece) has all been removed. (I'll put up pictures when i can finally get my #$%^ camera-phone to talk to my computer again! )

it seems that just owning an airstream generates alot of interest in the neighborhood, and gutting one even more so! we've already had 3 random dudes just stop by and ask about it. one wanting to buy, and two more wanting to sell us stuff... the second seller we took up on his offer and went to look at what he had available. we walked away with one heck of a deal! Norcold 3 way fridge/freezer, AC unit, furnace, water heater, converter, water pump, Magic Chef 3 burner range/stove with range hood, regulator (with dials and RUBBER hoses, as opposed to the all copper assembly i have now), and even a pull-out couch (which i doubt i'll use) and a shiny chrome spare-tire cover! ALL of it NEW. pulled out of a trailer that got wrecked before it even got used... and ALL of it... for $2000! i'll have pictures of that too... again, when the aformentioned camera will be made to work...
that was the *good* part of my week.... the bad part...
due to what i can only call a tragic accident, i lost two of my three dogs early this week. i'd rather not go into detail on the specifics of said accident... but suffice to say, its been rough the past few days. RIP Solar and Bengee.

i'll try to get the pics up as soon as possible.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'm sorry to hear you lost two of your dogs, losing a pet is like losing a member of the family.
I was looking through some old photos, and found one that shows the idea we were discussing about your scooter:

Now, as far as helping keep your coach warm in the winter, I have two words you may be familiar with: Storm Windows. You should be able to get a window place to make some for you. Also, your Astradome and vents in the roof are going to be terrible heat losers, you should go to your local Home Depot and get a sheet of the pink foam insulation, and cut it to fit in the vent holes. Okay, looks like the photo didn't take, here is another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ganges.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	30765  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #51
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
sorry to hear about the kids....

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
finally got the camera to co-operate.

and this pic was taken at "Camping on the Gulf", where we went for New Year's. happier times

the white one is the only one left to us. her name is Luna

attachments are: my crazy hubby sitting on the roof of the AS, replacing the leaky rear fan/vent before the can-opener (because it WAS supposed to rain, afterall, and i'd be a mighty unhappy camper if it rained on my face), a pic of the new vent in place, a pic of the interior in its stripped down state, a pic of the new pex hubby installed for the can-opener (and is going to re-install when he puts the interior back in), and the rest are pics of all the various stuff we scored in my last post. (range and range-hood (with a new water pump visible in the pic, too) the AC unit in the foreground, AC cover in the background (with the shiny tire cover inside it) and the water heater in the middle, a slightly blurry shot of the new converter, the fridge, and the furnace (sitting on top of the fridge )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crazyhubby.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	30807   Click image for larger version

Name:	newvent.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	30808  

Name:	int5.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	30811   Click image for larger version

Name:	pex1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	30812  

Name:	rangeandhood.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	30813   Click image for larger version

Name:	acandwaterheater.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	30814  

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	30815   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	30816  

Name:	furnace.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	30817  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #53

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
sorry about Solar and Bengee. On the other hand, your thread is about the most entertaining, yet fact-filled, thread going. I know you're vying for the propwash award and you just may get it this year.

BTW, are you divorced yet? I mean, it's been over 24 hours since you posted that quintisential (or is that quentisential?) photo of "hubby" with the remote controll on his lap (OK, it could be a cell phone or even a digital camera, but "remote" sure fits the bill).

Zep
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
heheh... thanks the silver and black thing in his lap is actually his cell phone. the remote is conveniently located right next to Luna's (the white dog) front leg, within easy arm's reach.

part of the floor is now up... more photos coming soon! i promise!

(and yes... we're still married
Old 01-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
(This is Hubby.. man I gotta get my own acount)

Well if Katz shows a picture of me.. with my sawz-all and a crazy look in my eye while dealing with the trailer...... well.... the floor made me do it.....
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #56
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Ok tomorrows project, is to lay a new piece of floor, and since I am not going the route of riveting metal over all the holes (Using EPDM Roofing membrane on the floor as a barrier), this should go fast and easy, and add to the R value of the floor.

The only down side is that I can not use the old plywood for the full template, so I am going to use some hard foam and work it into place. Since I have been fighting off being sick progress is slower then I would like. I am not currently sick (Only one in the house), I still feel like I have been through a meat grinder.

I also discovered today that the underbelly will not support 270 pounds. I found this out when I slipped off one of the brace beams, and fell right though the underbelly ( That's Another 50 rivets added to the job).

Anyway, I'll have Katz start taking more pictures of the progress and what we are doing to try and make this work, as well as the method that I used to pull the plywood up from the top, with out access to the underbelly.

Katz has just purchased a Air Rivet Gun (Which I just know I am going to need, as this job will take a billion rivets to get finished), because there is no way I am doing this with a little hand crank tool. I mean I have broken over 10 drill bits just taking the rivets out, I figure Iíll destroy at least 50 ligaments trying to put them all back in by hand.

Figure, since my little cordless saw cut though one of the support beams (Just the top) Iíll rivet a new steel angle piece in place, and then reinforce all the areas that the blade went a tad too deep on with some more angle. I am going to use the 1Ē steel angle that the Scooter was packaged in, so it all works out and makes me happy.

Iíll have Katz take pictures of that as well.

Well tomorrow itís off to Home Depot, for some long rivets and ĺĒ plywood for the floor pieces. I bought one piece, but I figure I would like to cut both pieces, before I remove the third section, that way, I can remove and then place a new floor section down, in a fast process, and then cut the new section out while the paint and rust converter dry. The I just need to keep the cycle up till I replace all six sections.

So far, so Good.

Still pondering about switching over to a 7 point harness so that I can have reverse lights, which after the can opener rally I have been shown itís benefits. I know this means I might have to give up the nice round vintage look, but I could just put some extra lights on it as the reverse lights, mount them into the bumper or something, so they are low profile, and do not obstruct the exterior vintage look.

DH
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #57
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
While there are many who would disagree, I believe the ultimate goal of the Airstream restoration should be functionality in a 21st century setting. The classic lines of the aluminimum exterior will always be there, but the inside should reflect the needs and tastes of the user.
Well said

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
well... after fighting with the wood, literally, all day, hubby finally came to the conclusion that the wood was the wrong thickness... so we went out and purchased wood that should be the correct thickness.

as promised, more pictures of the work in progress.

first pic is just the state the AS is currently in... the next 3 pics show hubby's inventive way to remove the floor without being able to access the bolts from underneath. normally you would have to either cut the wood all up in little bits to reach underneath, or remove the belly skin to be able to reach... he cut AROUND the bolts so he could remove the wood, then ground the bolts out afterward with a grinder.
the next three pics show where he accidently sliced thru the top of the frame while cutting the wood apart, and how he clamped an angle iron into place and riveted the repair in.

the part of the frame that we've exposed so far has been treated with a rust converter, and tomorrow AM hubby is going to spray it with rustoleum (yellow... because hubby wants to "be able to see what he's painted and what he hasn't" ) then we're gonna have another go with the wood.

also... axles, new tail lights, reverse lights, a replacement black-water tank, and various misc doo-dads have all been ordered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fixthefloor1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	30978   Click image for larger version

Name:	round-cut.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	30979  

Name:	moreroundcuts.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	30980   Click image for larger version

Name:	holesaw.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	30981  

Name:	floorcut.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	30982   Click image for larger version

Name:	cutmidfix.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	30983  

Name:	cutfixed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	30984  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #59
Receiver of the Honey Do.

1964 26' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Ok.. Now get this...

I am sitting down to some pizza after a day of what can only be described as an amazing failure to claim some level of sanity.

And my Loving wife here, after I just painted some of the frame with the yellow rust-olim, makes a comment about when I blow my nose the colors are black and yellow now.

Then she goes "Look.. Bumble Bee Snot"..........

I did not know if I wanted to shoot her, or shoot her.... so I decided to post that bit here instead... I still want to shoot her.... but it a little less now...

I'm going to bed..

DH
Dear Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 AM   #60
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Concern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
the next three pics show where he accidently sliced thru the top of the frame while cutting the wood apart, and how he clamped an angle iron into place and riveted the repair in.
I'll admit I have never done a repair of this nature, but I am concerned for the longevity of a riveted frame rail repair. I am concerned that the frame flexing over time will shear the rivets and leave a weak point in your frame.